What's new

THT Will Be The Starting PG

THT shot 38% from 3 on catch and shoot attempts in 2023. He shot 33% overall from 3 in 2023. I said 2023, not 2022-2023 season.

So far he is 5/14 from 3 in pre-season, so he is on trend of being a mid 30% 3pt shooter that he showed in 2023.

THT’s % would be even higher if he just cut out the step-back three from his game that inevitably misses every time.

Gobert can knock down threes if you leave him wide open

Not that he ever did, even though he was left open a lot.
Cy actually posted a video of it. It was this past summer when playing for france. I also saw him make a bunch when I went to watch a jazz practice/scrimmage at the delta center. If you play in the nba you can make an open three point shot.

If every player could make wide open 3's at a 40% clip, your NBA team would tell you to take that shot 10/10 times.

Lol. All nba players can make wide open threes. Have fun at the babies table.
So if you take 10 wide open 3's and make 40% of them, that's 12 points in 10 possessions, so 1.2 points per possession, which would be the best offense in the NBA.

Why arent all coaches telling every player to shoot wide open 3's? Because most teams will leave the non shooters like Gobert open at the top of the 3pt line if he isnt running a DHO.

You're talking stupid ****. Of course players can makes shots in practice. It's different when you are playing a game. You're fatigued, sweating, exhausted.

So if you take 10 wide open 3's and make 40% of them, that's 12 points in 10 possessions, so 1.2 points per possession, which would be the best offense in the NBA.

Why arent all coaches telling every player to shoot wide open 3's? Because most teams will leave the non shooters like Gobert open at the top of the 3pt line if he isnt running a DHO.

You're talking stupid ****. Of course players can makes shots in practice. It's different when you are playing a game. You're fatigued, sweating, exhausted.
Coaches tend to put players in situations that they are best at and where they are needed most. Gobert can still hit open threes doe.

Lol. All nba players can make wide open threes. Have fun at the babies table.

Not necessarily under pressure during an actual game, while being really tired. It's different in practice. Part of Curry's routine before practicing his shooting is to sprint until he's so tired he can barely walk. To simulate that part of taking threes in a game.

Not necessarily under pressure during an actual game, while being really tired. It's different in practice. Part of Curry's routine before practicing his shooting is to sprint until he's so tired he can barely walk. To simulate that part of taking threes in a game.
But you have to remember that there is a beginning of a game when players aren't tired and there isn't much pressure too. Not every attempt is under fatigue and big time pressure.

But you have to remember that there is a beginning of a game when players aren't tired and there isn't much pressure too. Not every attempt is under fatigue and big time pressure.

There's logic to what you're saying, and I don't know if I can dispute it. All I know is that there are NBA players who are left open, and who manage to shoot very poorly from the 3. I'm sure those are great shooters in practice as well.

Coaches tend to put players in situations that they are best at and where they are needed most. Gobert can still hit open threes doe.
If he could hit his open threes at any kind of decent percentage (in a game), he would've taken some. It wouldn't be our go-to move, obviously, but it would help spacing if they had to pretend to close out, which they never did.
Of course he can hit them in a gym, that doesn't matter.

In 2023 when left wide open, THT shot 41% from 3.

If teams leave him open, he can knock down shots just fine.
Dude now you are cherry picking big time. Which one is the outlier in the numbers below:

Last season after January 1st:
Wide open 3P shots 40.9% on 2.0 attempts
Open 3P shots 21.7% on 1.4 attempts

Last season before January 1st:
Wide open 3P shots 20.4% on 1.7 attempts
Open 3P shots 31.0% on 0.9 attempts

Him hitting more wide open shots in the 2nd half of last year was only correcting his numbers to his career average.

The thing about THT is that he's the type of player other teams want to have the ball a lot. An erratic shooter who launches a lot of quick, tough bombs from the perimeter, which is great for the defense. When the ball isn't moving, they can rest.

Teams can live with THT's occasional three point makes - it's the price they pay for disrupting the overall Jazz offense by allowing it to turn into the THT show, freezing out our key players and spending less time on defense. In other words, worth it.

Ok, now explain why every player shoots 90%+ FTs in practice but some guys can barely shoot them in game?

There's a difference when you're repping out the same thing over and over in practice vs being asked to do it in game.