What's new

THT Will Be The Starting PG

Our starting PG had 24-7-4 in 25 minutes and y'all aren't excited.

Shameful.

Most of his production came against the Clippers' 3rd string.

The challenge with THT, aside from his flakey shooting, is his ball dominance combined with being erratic. I don't think his decision making is quite as wild as it used to be, but still I get the sense that the other Jazz players are standing around wondering what's going to happen when he has the ball.

Most of his production came against the Clippers' 3rd string.

The challenge with THT, aside from his flakey shooting, is his ball dominance combined with being erratic. I don't think his decision making is quite as wild as it used to be, but still I get the sense that the other Jazz players are standing around wondering what's going to happen when he has the ball.
2nd string, Mann was also on the court for a lot of it.

It's still shocking to me so many people on this forum both cape for Dunn and espouse how worried they are about spacing

Yes, THT will take bad shots from time to time. But taking the occasional bad shot is better for spacing than passing up wide open corner 3s which Dunn did 2 or 3 times last night.

I will take the aggressive player over the passive one any day. THT played a good first quarter even though the stats weren't there. The 2nd quarter he pressed too much and that's probably why Hardy sat him to start the 3rs, but then he came back in the game and played the way he should. He was aggressive getting to the rim and was igniting transition opportunities for the team with his hit ahead passing. Dunn played against the same guys THT did and the offense was not running nearly as well

If Dunn misses an open 3 he probably will pass up the next few open shots. That's a spacing killer. THT doesn't give a ****, for better or worse, but that is part of his talent and how he is able to make such great plays because he doesn't hesitate.

This is a pretty good post. I'll admit that most of my issues with THT are based on biases and aesthetics.

It's just hard for me to even want him to do well, because I know the better he plays the more I have to watch him play. Also, the better he plays the more likely he is to do stupid stuff. It's almost guaranteed that when he hits a shot he's going to come back and put up a yolo shot on the next possession.

Unbiasedly he's a really good passer, passable defender, and has the length and athleticism that gives him a real advantage in the NBA.

This is a pretty good post. I'll admit that most of my issues with THT are based on biases and aesthetics.

It's just hard for me to even want him to do well, because I know the better he plays the more I have to watch him play. Also, the better he plays the more likely he is to do stupid stuff. It's almost guaranteed that when he hits a shot he's going to come back and put up a yolo shot on the next possession.

Unbiasedly he's a really good passer, passable defender, and has the length and athleticism that gives him a real advantage in the NBA.
All I feel is pure joy when I watch THT.

1697066959413.gif

If I'm being honest, there are some similarities between THT and Russell Westbrook. Both are unreliable shooters. Both are great at pushing the ball and attacking the rim on the break. Both can beat their defender off the dribble, but who knows what will happen next. THT is shiftier and more creative with the ball, but I'm not sure what benefit it yields.

Examples of THT's passing brilliance:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XX_v0MPajA

0:42, zings a hit ahead pass past PG to Lauri and turns a play that wouldnt have been a fastbreak into an easy fastbreak dunk.

1:06 after a made basket immedaitelly pushes ahead and zips a hit ahead to Ochai for a fastbreak layup that had no business being a fastbreak.

1:45 hits KO for a perfect dime in transition on a fastbreak seal

These are the kind of fastbreak looks THT creates that no other guard on our team does.

*not to mention all the sexy left handed finishes for a guy who supposedly lacks touch*

If I'm being honest, there are some similarities between THT and Russell Westbrook. Both are unreliable shooters. Both are great at pushing the ball and attacking the rim on the break. Both can beat their defender off the dribble, but who knows what will happen next. THT is shiftier and more creative with the ball, but I'm not sure what benefit it yields.
I dont think there is. THT is his own unique player.

If it were me, I'd start Clarkson, Agbaji, Lauri, Olynyk and Kessler, and I'd rely heavily on Olynyk to be a playmaker.
Collins would sub in for Kessler.
Keyonte would sub in for Agbaji.
THT would sub in for Clarkson.

1697068077713-jpeg.15192

1697068155011.jpeg

Attachments

• 1697068077713.jpeg
    1697068077713.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 90
I was telling my son that very thing earlier today. I dont think he is as self consumed when he plays as Russ is but he has a style and tendencies that are very Russ like.

Examples of THT's passing brilliance:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XX_v0MPajA

0:42, zings a hit ahead pass past PG to Lauri and turns a play that wouldnt have been a fastbreak into an easy fastbreak dunk.

1:06 after a made basket immedaitelly pushes ahead and zips a hit ahead to Ochai for a fastbreak layup that had no business being a fastbreak.

1:45 hits KO for a perfect dime in transition on a fastbreak seal

These are the kind of fastbreak looks THT creates that no other guard on our team does.

*not to mention all the sexy left handed finishes for a guy who supposedly lacks touch*

Passing ahead on fast breaks is the LEAST you can expext from a starting pg. No extra points for that.

THT is terrible at creating scoring opportunities for guys in half court. He mainly looks for his own shots or drives.

He's not a top option on this team and he has to realize that.