What's new

Tibor Pleiss assigned to Idaho Stampede

He would have just played his qualifying offer out if we didn't max him. Just like Kanter would have done if OKC didn't max. Their agents are well aware of the cap spike.
So unless you want Jackson at the max, its a dead end trade.
You mean like what the Jazz actually got, only there was no real upside to what the Jazz "got" in the actual deal?

That would have been perfect for the Jazz -- Disgruntled Jackson takes minutes away from Exum for the rest of the season and then we don't match his max deal. That would have helped us an awful lot.

You're right, the Jazz obviously have too much talent. Championship is in the mail.

This. ^^^

Blown opportunity. They should have done a disgruntled player swap - Kanter for Jackson and then gone into the offseason looking to match. Jackson's cap hold was $5.5 million and I doubt that he would have gotten a huge offer as a RFA. Even with Dante and Burke in the fold, it would have been a good move.

At the very least we should have gotten the rights to Alex Abrines instead of Pleiss. Having a great game today.

I just watched Panathinaikos - Barcelona in Euroleague...Abrinas had 21 points...he is a good shooter! Pity the Jazz didn't take his rights from OKC instead of taking Pleiss.

I just watched Panathinaikos - Barcelona in Euroleague...Abrinas had 21 points...he is a good shooter! Pity the Jazz didn't take his rights from OKC instead of taking Pleiss.

I believe they tried. Okc loves him.

You're right, the Jazz obviously have too much talent. Championship is in the mail.

Complete fabrication. Nowhere stated or implied.

Surely you understand that it is not only about talent but also about the price of that talent versus how you would otherwise use the cap room.

Surely you see that a max contract on Jackson is debatable and how it would constrain the Jazz future personnel moves.

Complete fabrication. Nowhere stated or implied.

Surely you understand that it is not only about talent but also about the price of that talent versus how you would otherwise use the cap room.

Surely you see that a max contract on Jackson is debatable and how it would constrain the Jazz future personnel moves.
What's not debatable is that the Jazz got nothing. I'd rather "gamble" on proven asset than gamble that assets that typically amount to nothing. What cap moves are the Jazz missing out on by having to spend on their own player, anyway? They obviously can or won't do anything on the market, and if they have a really good player at a positional logjam, they can trade and keep the asset(s) moving. I have no idea why people are out-thinking themselves about this, especially in hindsight.

What's not debatable is that the Jazz got nothing. I'd rather "gamble" on proven asset than gamble that assets that typically amount to nothing. What cap moves are the Jazz missing out on by having to spend on their own player, anyway? They obviously can or won't do anything on the market, and if they have a really good player at a positional logjam, they can trade and keep the asset(s) moving. I have no idea why people are out-thinking themselves about this, especially in hindsight.

There is always a chance the draft pick could turn into something.

What's not debatable is that the Jazz got nothing.

yep -- a 2018 late first round pick has zero value. Some don't pan out, others prove to be more valuable than top picks (Gobert versus Kanter is one you probably understand). Zero value? Come on, let's have a serious discussion and set aside the hyperbole.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/...round-nba-draft-picks-are-a-bargain.html?_r=0

What cap moves are the Jazz missing out on by having to spend on their own player, anyway?

Of course it is impossible to predict how the Jazz might use the optimality created by their cap space. Anyone who can't think of scenarios may be suffering from a serious lack of imagination. They are creating options for the future, which is of course impossible to predict exact moves, especially since it depends on counterparties, their strategies and how the assets fit into a deal.
Cap space also gives the Jazz the option to sign Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Exum down the road. Have fun making that work while paying a MAX salary to Jackson: An AVERAGE starting PG. For goodness sake, we are not talking about Paul/ Curry/ Westbrook -- not even Conley/ Irving/ Wall/ Lowry/ Lillard. Cap space also affords flexibility to improve the round out the roster without going into luxury tax world.

I have no idea why people are out-thinking themselves about this, especially in hindsight

I'm wondering why you are looking at this in such simplistic terms -- you may want to consider that you might be "under-thinking" it (tactical/ short-term).