What's new

Tibor Pleiss

I'm excited. Didn't check news tonight somehow. But I'm stoked! Very skilled big. Had he played last summer for the National Team he would have been the best German player by far over Schröder. (Saying best, not most talented)

I'm excited. Didn't check news tonight somehow. But I'm stoked! Very skilled big. Had he played last summer for the National Team he would have been the best German player by far over Schröder. (Saying best, not most talented)

finally. Been counting on the Euro posters to come in and talk some sense into us. People are freaking out.

baffling. DL probably requested Pleiss ahead of all of their other pieces on that team.

I wonder if he asked for Pleiss or for Abrines... I personally would have preferred Abrines, but I think Pleiss can be a good back up to Rudy, too...

edit: oh... and I'd prefer Tomic to Pleiss, but... we'll have to wait and see if any of them really is going to come over this summer...

OKC actually wanted to sign him last offseason but could not buy his Euro contract out.
Looks like Lindsey watched him a lot.. So he is not a filler but a guy the Utah Jazz wanted.. And given the reports that he may start playing for the Jazz already and there is no backup C on the roster, I say he may get some PT soon enough.

Dennis Lindsey has watched infinitely more film on Pleiss than I have, so I’ll let him give the scouting report: “He’s a large man, and he’s getting bigger, more developed. He still has some more strength and power work to do, especially as it relates to our league. He’s big, he has very good touch, good FT shooter. He scored big with his club last year, where he was a starter, then he moved over to Barcelona where he’s Ante Tomic’s backup. He’s mobile for a guy that size.” In other words, he is large.

But when asked if he could be a defensive player, Lindsey answered, “I’d say he’s more of an offensive player. But certainly when you’re 7’2”, by definition you’re a defensive presence.” While Pleiss may be literally present on the floor, we’ve certainly learned with a number of NBA big men that size does not always equal defensive effectiveness.
https://saltcityhoops.com/how-the-jazz-traded-enes-kanter-and-what-they-got-back/

And he's 25 already. I doubt he has much upside. Wasted asset, should have insisted on someone else, even an additional pick that could be a draft and stash for a young, promising Euro. Jazz got screwed on this trade.

We usually don't agree on anything, but this is an exception. At lease someone has the balls to say it. We did get screwed. Kanter needed to be traded but we could have done a hell of a lot better than this.

7' tall is 7' tall. He could be an option next year if we don't draft a big (even if we don't draft a big, it be nice to have another true center on the roster). I kind of like how this trade opened back up the possibility of us drafting another big. I'd rather have a great wing of course, but now Looney makes a lot of sense in the draft.

We usually don't agree on anything, but this is an exception. At lease someone has the balls to say it. We did get screwed. Kanter needed to be traded but we could have done a hell of a lot better than this.

Oh really? Please tell me what the other offers we had looked like.

So if we bring him over next season. Does he come in on his rookie deal or is it a new contract all together?

So if we bring him over next season. Does he come in on his rookie deal or is it a new contract all together?

"When a drafted NBA player goes to or stays in Europe, the team that drafted him retains his NBA rights but does not pay him. The European club does. The NBA team can bring him back at any time by signing the prospect to a rookie deal. If he's a first-round pick, the salary schedule is already set in stone based on what pick was used on him. If he's a second-round pick, there's some room for negotiation.

But perhaps the biggest reason the second round is home to more internationals is because there is no salary scale for second-round picks. That makes dealing with contract buyouts more feasible. While NBA teams can only contribute up to $600,000 directly to a foreign buyout in 2014, in the case of second-round picks the NBA team can give the player a higher salary, part of which goes toward paying the buyout. Of course, this counts against the salary cap, so it's not foolproof. But it's easier to do a buyout deal with the No. 31 pick (first pick of the second round) than the No. 30 pick (last pick of first round) because of contract flexibility. You'll often hear reports that certain internationals want to fall out of the first round for this reason. The likely candidates for such a report this season are Clint Capela and Bogdan Bogdanovic"."

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6...nternational-prospects-dante-exum-dario-saric

Plies went 31st in 2010.

"When a drafted NBA player goes to or stays in Europe, the team that drafted him retains his NBA rights but does not pay him. The European club does. The NBA team can bring him back at any time by signing the prospect to a rookie deal. If he's a first-round pick, the salary schedule is already set in stone based on what pick was used on him. If he's a second-round pick, there's some room for negotiation.

But perhaps the biggest reason the second round is home to more internationals is because there is no salary scale for second-round picks. That makes dealing with contract buyouts more feasible. While NBA teams can only contribute up to $600,000 directly to a foreign buyout in 2014, in the case of second-round picks the NBA team can give the player a higher salary, part of which goes toward paying the buyout. Of course, this counts against the salary cap, so it's not foolproof. But it's easier to do a buyout deal with the No. 31 pick (first pick of the second round) than the No. 30 pick (last pick of first round) because of contract flexibility. You'll often hear reports that certain internationals want to fall out of the first round for this reason. The likely candidates for such a report this season are Clint Capela and Bogdan Bogdanovic"."

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6...nternational-prospects-dante-exum-dario-saric

Plies went 31st in 2010.

I'm telling ya, having a 7' back up center is pretty cool.

He looks oddly in slow motion when he runs. But that sky hook looks unguardable.