What's new

Tibor Pleiss

THere was some interview from a couple of weeks ago in which Tomic said that the window for NBA has not closed and that everything is possible in this coming summer. That's the most encouraging words I've heard from him regarding potential move to the NBA since we drafted him...

Yep, Tomic has a player option coming up so the ball is completely in his court. Unfortunately, if I had to guess his NBA talk is nothing but him trying to gain leverage into a new deal or extension. If he picks up his option to play another year in Spain, he'll become completely irrelevant.

It's basically now or never.

Yep, Tomic has a player option coming up so the ball is completely in his court. Unfortunately, if I had to guess his NBA talk is nothing but him trying to gain leverage into a new deal or extension. If he picks up his option to play another year in Spain, he'll become completely irrelevant.

It's basically now or never.

Is it player or team option? I heard it's a team option and I thought that his words looked a bit like trying to force his team to extend him sooner rather than later.

If it is player option, Jazz management should be on the phone talking to him right now...

Is it player or team option? I heard it's a team option and I thought that his words looked a bit like trying to force his team to extend him sooner rather than later.

If it is player option, Jazz management should be on the phone talking to him right now...

I thought it was player but I'm far from an expert on the goings on in Euro Ball - does anyone know for sure?

This is what I read that made me think it was a player option.

Ante Tomic has missed the train to the NBA. Furthermore, I’m told he’s not even interested in going overseas to the league. Sources believe Tomic will renew his vows with Barcelona going forward. There is no question that he’s a legit NBA talent – he can score, rebound, and pass. I just don’t think the NBA is something Tomic is thinking about.

"Renew his vows".

Guess something got lost in the translation here.

Here's what I found:

David Pick ‏@IAmDPick Jan 14

Ante Tomic said Barcelona "has a team-option for next season" and that "anything (Re: Europe/NBA) is possible."
David Pick ‏@IAmDPick Jan 14

Asked Ante Tomic of his NBA aspirations: "I'd like to make the NBA, the window isn't closed."
Here's from a chat with fans from the guy that made that interview:

David:

David, love your work.
Any chance of Ante Tomic ever coming over to the NBA? Jazz fans have heard his name for years, but wonder if he’ll ever be part of Utah’s plans beyond being an asset.
Also, thoughts on Raul Neto? What are the chances he comes over to the Jazz next season and could he help?

David Pick:

David,Tomic’s future is very blurry. His rights next season are held by Barcelona in Spain and there is mutual interest to extend their pact going forward. Still, I’ve spoken with Tomic about the NBA a few weeks ago. He was warming up before practice and I caught him on the sidelines. Asked about his plans of making the jump to the NBA, Tomic said that’s an option he’d like to pursue. He said the window to the NBA hasn’t closed. I’m not sold on what he said because I don’t think he has the desire to be in the league. Either way, he’s probably the most skilled center outside the NBA right now and would be a steal for the Jazz going forward.

Re: Neto – chances of him making Utah’s roster next season, IMO, are slim to none. With Trey Burke and Dante Exum running the point, to Joe Ingles and Gordon Hayward serving as point-forwards … a move like Neto just doesn’t make sense. Also, he’s playing solid in Spain, not brilliant.

Now that Kanter is gone, I think that the Jazz should be very proactive about trying to get Ante Tomic to come over this upcoming season. He's still only 28 and widely considered one of (if not THE) best big men in Europe. He's a perfect offensive fit for Quin's system and would become the best passing big on the team. Essentially the Anti-Kanter. They don't need him to be a great defensive player (but I think he's better than many give him credit for) with Gobert, Favors and Booker as the other three bigs.

I don't know what he'd cost, but I really hope they finally pay his buy out and sign him to the full MLE (3 years, $5 million per year) if they have it available.

Last edited:
Now that Kanter is gone, I think that the Jazz should be very proactive about trying to get Ante Tomic to come over this upcoming season. He's still only 28 and widely considered one of (if not THE) best big men in Europe. He's a perfect offensive fit for Quin's system and would become the best passing big on the team. Essentially the Anti-Kanter. They don't need him to be a great defensive player (but I think he's better than many give him credit for) with Gobert, Favors and Booker as the other three bigs.

I don't know what he'd cost, but I really hope they finally pay his buy out and sign him to the full MLE (3 years, $5 million per year) if they have it available.

I'd pay even more than the MLE, if possible. Probably up to 7 mill a year, on a 3 year contract-- although I think 5 mill a year is around right for him.

Tomic with 25/11/3 blocks against rival Real Madrid in loss today. Haven't seen a box score I trust, but it appears that both Hezonja and Pleiss may have gone scoreless.

If we're serious about a playoff push next year, Tomic is the one we should try to bring. Too bad he's unlikely to come.

Money talks. Even if he's playing the Jazz against Barcelona to get a new contract, the Jazz have the ability to pay significantly more than any European team can offer. I'd very strongly consider bringing him over as the 3rd big to compliment Gobert, Favors and Booker.

I think that he'd surprise people with his offensive touch and passing abilities. Everyone talks about how they don't think that he's interested in leaving Spain, but the Jazz had the opportunity to bring him over in 2012, but didn't. KOC wanted to see him "explode" in Europe to justify the investment. Since then, he's gone on to become one of (if not the) top big men playing overseas.

His buyout has been an issue, but should be much more manageable this offseason with only a team option left. He's only 28 and the Jazz haven't really tipped their hand as to what they want to do with him. I really hope they buy him out. He doesn't seem like an egotistical guy, so I don't think that not being a starter will make that much of a difference.

He's got good size, great experience and a well-developed team game. He'd be a positive asset for the Jazz if they bring him over. I could easily see him being like Jingles, where he plays quite a bit more than most people expect him to.

He's got good size, great experience and a well-developed team game. He'd be a positive asset for the Jazz if they bring him over. I could easily see him being like Jingles, where he plays quite a bit more than most people expect him to.

Isn't Ingles being interviewed frequently on 1280 these days? Since he and Tomic were teammate for a year, they ought to ask him for his opinion of Tomic, as a player/teammate/likelihood of NBA interest/etc. Tomic is only half a year older than Ingles, having turned 28 this past week.

I have a feeling if the Jazz were confident Tomic was going to ever come over, then they don't trade for Pleiss. Tomic is obviously better, but I highly doubt he'll ever be here.

Isn't Ingles being interviewed frequently on 1280 these days? Since he and Tomic were teammate for a year, they ought to ask him for his opinion of Tomic, as a player/teammate/likelihood of NBA interest/etc. Tomic is only half a year older than Ingles, having turned 28 this past week.

Was just about to post something similar. His age isn't as big of a factor as some might think. Hasn't stopped Jingles from stepping in and contributing. I could see a similar situation for Tomic. But the Jazz have to want him.

KOC didn't in 2012, with a full front court of Jefferson, Millsap, Favors, Kanter and Evans. Plus I'm not sure Tomic was a good fit for Corbin's schemes (if you want to classify them as such), while he seems like a great fit for Snyder's system and philosophy, he'd only Gobert and Favors above him and the Jazz would have to pay him more based on his play for Barcelona over the past 3 years.

I have a feeling if the Jazz were confident Tomic was going to ever come over, then they don't trade for Pleiss. Tomic is obviously better, but I highly doubt he'll ever be here.

That could very well be the case. But I can also imagine a scenario in which the Jazz's first choice from OKC would have been Abrines -- Pleiss may have just been the consolation prize. It seems that it's not really too hard to find someone (free agency, low level trade) for what Pleiss is likely to bring -- semi-skilled banging/size without much passing. Though Tomic may be at least as questionable defensively as Pleiss, at least he brings clear high-quality offensive skills.

I think Tomic has developed into a better post defender than he gets credit for. He put on good weight to hold up against stronger players and he works hard down low. His team defense is decent. I'd like to see how he fits into the Jazz system. Think he'd be just fine, plus he's a skilled offensive player.

That could very well be the case. But I can also imagine a scenario in which the Jazz's first choice from OKC would have been Abrines -- Pleiss may have just been the consolation prize. It seems that it's not really too hard to find someone (free agency, low level trade) for what Pleiss is likely to bring -- semi-skilled banging/size without much passing. Though Tomic may be at least as questionable defensively as Pleiss, at least he brings clear high-quality offensive skills.

If Abrines was our top choice and we didn't get him, then DL is a moron. OKC isn't going to buckle down and say no to Enes Kanter because of Abrines.