What's new

Tibor Pleiss

Granted, just seen highlights from YouTube but seems to have good hands which is big. Remember how frustrating Gobert was last year fumbling every pass?

I think we can pay 600k of it. This could get done soon... I hope the rumors that he is ready to come over right now are true. Really would like to see a battle of bench bigs... Pleiss vs. Kanter.
Maybe we can front-load a contract and put that buyout into this season. Do we still have the cap space?

I know it's a highlight reel against iffy competition....But some of those offensive moves were impressive. Hook shots with both hands, jump shot out to about 10 feet, and the up and under to counter the hook, all looked pretty impressive.
Can he pass? Can he defend? Can the Jazz get him here soon?

Iffy competition man? You trippin?
That is 100% Euroleague footage. The worst team whose jerseys I could recognize is Fenerbahce Istanbul. Most of the footage was vs Maccabi TelAviv, the Euroleague Champion. Panathinaikos Athens and Armani Milano were also prominent features.

This response is an indirect neg rep.

More than anything else, I think he has a decent BBall IQ based on how he hesitates long enough to create space on the pNr. That allows a lot of those trailer dunks.

Better than I thought, based off that last video.

I was impressed when he caught a rebound behind his head with one hand and then without bringing it down banked in the shot. Bring him over and let the coaches work with him.

Iffy competition man? You trippin?
That is 100% Euroleague footage. The worst team whose jerseys I could recognize is Fenerbahce Istanbul. Most of the footage was vs Maccabi TelAviv, the Euroleague Champion. Panathinaikos Athens and Armani Milano were also prominent features.

This response is an indirect neg rep.
It's not the NBA. It's not the Olympics or world championships so I consider the competition iffy. I know next to nothing about international basketball. I've seen footage from players over their that makes them look great. But they end up being nothing once they reach the NBA.

Just gonna be frank. Seen the highlights and this guy makes Greg Ostertag look like an elite athlete.

It's not the NBA. It's not the Olympics or world championships so I consider the competition iffy. I know next to nothing about international basketball. I've seen footage from players over their that makes them look great. But they end up being nothing once they reach the NBA.

conversely, there's footage of euros getting their *** whooped in the Euroleagues-- only to go onto killing it at the NBA.

Both leagues have good players. Just because the NBA is the best, it doesn't mean that every other league is ****. Cmon bruh.

Just gonna be frank. Seen the highlights and this guy makes Greg Ostertag look like an elite athlete.

If I had to choose between Pleiss and Tomic, I'd go with Tomic. Not that Pleiss is a bad player, but I don't see him being too impactful at the NBA level. Either guy would be a good fit as the 3rd or 4th big for the Jazz. Just depends on how the draft goes.

I'd also choose Tomic, but the dude simply isn't gonna come here. Pleiss, meanwhile, has shown every desire to cross the Atlantic. Ante's passing would be awesome at the 5-- but I guess he's too satisfied with being the star in Spain.

If I had to choose between Pleiss and Tomic, I'd go with Tomic. Not that Pleiss is a bad player, but I don't see him being too impactful at the NBA level. Either guy would be a good fit as the 3rd or 4th big for the Jazz. Just depends on how the draft goes.

You are probably right. Thing is, Pleiss seems to have one thing that might make him better than Tomic and that is his superior size.

I'd also choose Tomic, but the dude simply isn't gonna come here. Pleiss, meanwhile, has shown every desire to cross the Atlantic. Ante's passing would be awesome at the 5-- but I guess he's too satisfied with being the star in Spain.

I wonder if Tomic just doesn't want to play for a losing team. Doubt it, but maybe. There's a chance he'll hop on over when the Jazz are playoff worthy.

Agree. Tomic would get 20 mins at most. He'd be as unhappy as Kanter. Pleiss is more suited to being a backup and won't complain about it.

Agree. Tomic would get 20 mins at most. He'd be as unhappy as Kanter. Pleiss is more suited to being a backup and won't complain about it.

In terms of minutes, Tomic only played an average of 21 minutes this past season. Plus the Jazz can afford to offer a mid-level deal that's better than the best offers Barcelona can afford. The buyout has Newman issue in the past, but should be manageable unless he signs a new contract. I wouldn't have wanted to come to Utah over the past several years with the logjam and Corbin, but I could see the current situation being a lot more palatable.

Last edited:

THere was some interview from a couple of weeks ago in which Tomic said that the window for NBA has not closed and that everything is possible in this coming summer. That's the most encouraging words I've heard from him regarding potential move to the NBA since we drafted him...

Tibor Pleiss: F

Pleiss took a while to acclimatise to the ACB, having a rough first year in 2012-13 after moving to Baskonia from Bamberg. But he finally looked like the player he had always promised to be last season, where he peaked in the Top 16 averaging 13.6 points and 5.8 rebounds on 55.7% shooting; including an outing against Milano where he put up 30 points, 13 rebounds and drew 10 fouls.

But after his great season he walked along a well-trodden road from Vitoria to Barcelona, joining former teammates Marcelinho Huertas, Brad Oleson and Maciej Lampe. This season Pleiss seems to have regressed back below the standard even in his first ACB season as he becomes the latest resident in Xavi Pascual’s doghouse. Averaging 2 fouls in 12 minutes of court action Pleiss has been an outright disaster defending the pick and roll, with a devilish combination of a lack of strength and foot-speed with a demanding coach and defensive scheme. As bad as Pleiss’ defence has been his most obvious flaw has been terrible passing. Playing behind the greatest passing big in European basketball Pleiss’ has only 3 assists in 14 games, as it seems obvious the drop in ball movement as Barca go from Tomic to Pleiss.

While Pleiss has been godawful the failure must also be on the Barcelona front office. Last season they had Joey Dorsey providing the change of pace behind Tomić. Where Tomić had length, finesse and court vision, Dorsey had athleticism, strength and probably the most solid screen in Europe. Pleiss now comes in bringing a lesser skillset than Tomić in every attribute. Essentially giving any opposition a comparative break while Tomić is off court.

https://euroleagueadventures.com/euroleague-top-16-half-time-report/

conversely, there's footage of euros getting their *** whooped in the Euroleagues-- only to go onto killing it at the NBA.

Both leagues have good players. Just because the NBA is the best, it doesn't mean that every other league is ****. Cmon bruh.
Never said it was ****. I said the competition was iffy. Just not many NBA quality players in most of those leagues.
Anyway most if this is beside the point. I liked the way he looked in the video. Just not sure if those highlights are against stiff's or decent players. He is the backup C, not the starter so I question whether the guys on the floor against him are even the best players in the games when those highlights were taken. All that seems to = iffy competition to me.