What's new

Time to shake it up!

Release the Kraken

Buyers or sellers, buyers or sellers? Why does it have to be either or? Why give up draft assets now when we don’t have to? And how do we know that any of the usual suspects which by the way are going to cost us in real talent and draft capital are going to really be difference makers? We have our #1 option in Lauri and paying through the teeth now for a Collins or a Kuzma or an Anunoby isn’t going to change that or at least shouldn’t IMO.

But we’ve got so much overlap and redundance on this squad, why not roll the dice on an even up deal for a team that needs what we don’t and vice versa? And if we get a pick out of the deal all the better IMO. But it could go the other way as well, but nothing that a second or a protected first shouldn’t rectify.

I really like Orlando’s roster, they just swept the Celts in a two game series in Boston and look like a team that’s better than it’s record due to the injury bug. They really need floor spacers it seems to me and we really need interior toughness and pass first facilitating. I propose that we ship out one dimensional scorers Beasley and Fontechio, and throw in wild card THT for Jonathon Isaac, Jalen Suggs and RJ Hampton (guys they wouldn’t even miss and not a part of recent success).

These guys would all fit in so well here and provide defense and passing that we sorely need. The most exciting of which is Isaac IMO who after two years is finally back from that torn ACL and playing well in G League 5 on 5 practice at the moment. All really high character guys, particularly Isaac IMO. Wanted him on the Jazz forever and now coming back from injury may be our best opportunity!

I WISH the Magic would do that trade. Like you, I love Isaac and really like Suggs but Isaac is supposedly untouchable in trade talks right now.

I think they would seriously entertain the offer of Beasley for Suggs though the salaries differ.

I'm definitely not against mixing it up. We have to find some defense at some point. May as well be kicking the tires on some trades. It's time to start the youth movement full steam ahead. Move Conley and Gay then see what J.C. can get you.

The next 5 games are a solid test to see where we are. I'd say there are some easy wins there but many on the road where we aren't as good... going 2-3 or 1-4 would signal maybe we should steer towards a tank if the opportunity arises.

I think that honestly is the key... what opportunities arise? We are in a decent position to take advantage of something good that just pops up one way or another. We may end up going all the way down the road and ending up with a mid record and mid picks though because nothing acceptable came to fruition.

I also wonder what would happen if some team really came hard at us for Lauri. Talking like Phoenix/Toronto/Miami putting up like 3-4 unprotected picks. I'm not sure we are worried about losing our pick next year... but we are in a bit of dangerous territory. Say we don't hit a homerun with our late lotto pick this year (either from Minny or our own pick) and are just good enough that the pick we owe to OKC conveys and we have no 2024 picks. In that situation its hard for me to see what we have put around Lauri and Walker that helps us be more than a mid team... it will be hard to decide to tear down from there so you are staring at 3-4 year of being a mid team and still hoping to nail the picks we have in 2025 to break the cycle.

If we are able to hit on a pick this year it changes things pretty substantially... but a lot rides on the 2023 draft and there is only one pick we can truly control (in a limited fashion). The time to tank hard has likely slipped away. If a deal came up suddenly for our vets maybe we could keep Lauri and finesse our way to like the 9/10th spot... if the Minny pick doesn't land 10-14 maybe you can add a Cleveland pick to it to move into the 9-12 range and have two good bites at the apple... IDK but a lot rests on this year's draft.

tough because really only reason JI still in the league after missing so much time, remains his DPOY level upside. But him never being a reliable starter should and probably does make every other gm outside of Orlando balk at the idea of giving up anyone of value. Giuveing up any assets for a guy who has played a total of 136 games since the 17-18 season and missed basically 2 full seasons the past two from one injury. He is not worth it, who cares what line ORL uses that he is untouchable. He isn't untouchable, he is just unavailable period.
I mean athough the partial guarantees for 3 years make it a little more interesting he is still guaranteed 23mil. I would not expect Danny to go for a guy like that .
I could see Toronto interested in a Beasley or JC for OG swap given he is getting pinched for minutes and wants a starting role full time again. Not sure Danny does that either though
I'd offer JC ,THT Jazz pick via Nets or Philly for OG Birch and the Raptors 23 first lottery protected, (if jazz are now tanking)

I could see Toronto interested in a Beasley or JC for OG swap given he is getting pinched for minutes and wants a starting role full time again. Not sure Danny does that either though
I'd offer JC ,THT Jazz pick via Nets or Philly for OG Birch and the Raptors 23 first lottery protected, (if jazz are now tanking)

What fantasy world are you living in? It would take Clarkson or Beasley plus probably 2 unprotected 1sts for OG.

What fantasy world are you living in? It would take Clarkson or Beasley plus probably 2 unprotected 1sts for OG.
OG is like the one guy I could see maybe being available (like a 10% chance) that I’d tap into our draft capital to go get. But yeah it will cost a minimum of two picks. I’m not sure Massai and Ainge are a good match to do deals… they both tend to get great value when making bigger deals.

If OG is traded it’s cuz Phoenix/Miami/Dallas gave up 2-3 great picks to get him.

I WISH the Magic would do that trade. Like you, I love Isaac and really like Suggs but Isaac is supposedly untouchable in trade talks right now.

I think they would seriously entertain the offer of Beasley for Suggs though the salaries differ.
Really, untouchable? Seems like after two years out and after ACL surgery his stock may have dropped some. That’s a shame if that’s the case though cause the guy plays hard, has the tools and is an absolute pillar of the community. In these polarized times I wish more people shared his worldview. I mean after the Mitchell debacle we want to exercise caution or nobody will want to come here.

Looking at salaries I’d say the only two guys that would fit into a Beasley deal straight up are Markelle Fultz and Wendell Carter Jr. Fultz has been balling his *** off lately. Both decent players at positions of need - yeah I’d do either of those deals.

It's going to be interesting to see what players other teams are interested in. I would even be open to trading Lauri if a team offered us $2 on the dollar (we're talking a Paul George-looking trade).

The only player I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to keep (even if a team offers us a ridiculous offer) is Kessler.

I'm definitely not against mixing it up. We have to find some defense at some point. May as well be kicking the tires on some trades. It's time to start the youth movement full steam ahead. Move Conley and Gay then see what J.C. can get you.
Looking at salaries, stats and age, I’m not sure we can get off Conley or Gay without draft capital enhancers. May be more cost effective just to keep them for now.

Really, untouchable? Seems like after two years out and after ACL surgery his stock may have dropped some. That’s a shame if that’s the case though cause the guy plays hard, has the tools and is an absolute pillar of the community. In these polarized times I wish more people shared his worldview. I mean after the Mitchell debacle we want to exercise caution or nobody will want to come here.

Looking at salaries I’d say the only two guys that would fit into a Beasley deal straight up are Markelle Fultz and Wendell Carter Jr. Fultz has been balling his *** off lately. Both decent players at positions of need - yeah I’d do either of those deals.
I figure they have the attitude of wanting to ride it out since the injury and rehab has been a super long road.

Fultz is playing out of his mind. He can shoot once again! I don't think he's hit his ceiling, either. I expect him to get more and more confident and his athleticism will back him up. He'll be a good 2nd/3rd scorer for them.

I think they'd rather trade Suggs than Fultz or Carter. I don't know if the Magic have any garbage contracts they want to add to Suggs to even the money out; that might be an option. I really like the fact Suggs can play defense but he does get a lot of minutes which unfortunately ups his value.

Naw, let’s just do nothing, the L’s are finally coming. Keep the lineup and draft picks intact, and add a star through the draft and then spend draft capital on whatever disgruntled star there is, I outbidding the Knicks. :D Now that would be sweet!!!
Oh great TIMK, you had to pull the old voice of reason card didn’t you? Like how you got my new favorite Jazz player (NAW) in the convo though.:p

Agreed it would take multiple FRP's for Toronto to even consider dealing OG. He's the best defensive wing in the entire league.
The rumor, likely doesn't happen, is the Pels might even consider dealing their fantastic young rookie Dyson Daniels in package for OG. As much as I like Anuoby he's not a ceiling raiser type. He's the type you pursue after you already have Zion/Ingram on your roster.

Highly doubt Ainge would consider sending out multiple picks in any deal at this point anyway.

Let's be honest this team probably needs 3 new starters before they are a legitimate contender.

Before the season Ainge admitted he loves the '24 draft. In his own words he said it is better than the '23 draft. The Jazz need to be a bottom 10 team next season to keep that '24 pick.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Possibly he makes a few deals to bring in at least one '24 FRP. We will see.

I figure they have the attitude of wanting to ride it out since the injury and rehab has been a super long road.

Fultz is playing out of his mind. He can shoot once again! I don't think he's hit his ceiling, either. I expect him to get more and more confident and his athleticism will back him up. He'll be a good 2nd/3rd scorer for them.

I think they'd rather trade Suggs than Fultz or Carter. I don't know if the Magic have any garbage contracts they want to add to Suggs to even the money out; that might be an option. I really like the fact Suggs can play defense but he does get a lot of minutes which unfortunately ups his value.
Man that’s crazy that they would consider him untouchable after that injury and all that time out - must be a character, locker room thing IMO cause they also have Carter and Bol Bol.

Looks like the only two guys they have that could separately make that Suggs for Beasley trade work are Banchero and Bamba. That roster is stacked head to toe imo.

Man that’s crazy that they would consider him untouchable after that injury and all that time out - must be a character, locker room thing IMO cause they also have Carter and Bol Bol.

Looks like the only two guys they have that could separately make that Suggs for Beasley trade work are Banchero and Bamba. That roster is stacked head to toe imo.
Its likely cuz the offers would be garbage at this point. If he shows he can still play for 15-20 games there may not be a player that raises his trade value more than Isaac. Since they are tanking (even though they have been good lately) they have no pressure and can wait.

The next 5 games are a solid test to see where we are. I'd say there are some easy wins there but many on the road where we aren't as good... going 2-3 or 1-4 would signal maybe we should steer towards a tank if the opportunity arises.

I think that honestly is the key... what opportunities arise? We are in a decent position to take advantage of something good that just pops up one way or another. We may end up going all the way down the road and ending up with a mid record and mid picks though because nothing acceptable came to fruition.

I also wonder what would happen if some team really came hard at us for Lauri. Talking like Phoenix/Toronto/Miami putting up like 3-4 unprotected picks. I'm not sure we are worried about losing our pick next year... but we are in a bit of dangerous territory. Say we don't hit a homerun with our late lotto pick this year (either from Minny or our own pick) and are just good enough that the pick we owe to OKC conveys and we have no 2024 picks. In that situation its hard for me to see what we have put around Lauri and Walker that helps us be more than a mid team... it will be hard to decide to tear down from there so you are staring at 3-4 year of being a mid team and still hoping to nail the picks we have in 2025 to break the cycle.

If we are able to hit on a pick this year it changes things pretty substantially... but a lot rides on the 2023 draft and there is only one pick we can truly control (in a limited fashion). The time to tank hard has likely slipped away. If a deal came up suddenly for our vets maybe we could keep Lauri and finesse our way to like the 9/10th spot... if the Minny pick doesn't land 10-14 maybe you can add a Cleveland pick to it to move into the 9-12 range and have two good bites at the apple... IDK but a lot rests on this year's draft.
Yeah as you know, I’m not really a tank guy but I hate the idea of making the playoffs only to flame out miserably in the first round as well. Which is why I think we have to make a move now to correct some roster flaws (mostly defensive).

Beyond that as long as we beat the 24.5 over under on the season and hit on a pick, I guess I’m good. :p

I think the deals are coming in January tbh. We are not even seeing the effort anymore from some of these guys.

Any trades made need to keep the future in mind. Draft picks and young players/prospects should be the target.
Not sure if it’s really effort or just old scar tissue coming to the surface. As much as I hate to say it, I’m not sure we’ve found the lead alpha dog that can fill Mitchell’s shoes as of yet.

I think if we ever dream of having Sexton run point I think we gotta have one of them 6"5ish combo guards next to him.

I havent watched Suggs much so dont know about his defense, but his passing and playmaking seems legit nice.

I also like the Nembhard kid from Pacers, albeit he is more of a raw prospect and they love him as well so likely not a trade candidate..