What's new

Time to shake it up!

Doesn’t surprise me that people are already getting bored of this roster. We’re already discussing trading anyone good so we can get bad. I don’t even think that’s necessarily wrong from a team building perspective….but damn it is really depressing that trading Lauri is even a thought.

Realistically, trading Lauri/JC is not an option and we’ll be working from a late lottery position for the foreseeable future. This won’t be a bottom feeder no matter how much people on this forum want it to be.

The next few years will be hoping and praying on finding the next Mitchell/Gobert in the draft, having extreme lotto luck and hitting on the lotto luck, or finding another Lauri in a trade. If we can do that and have enough left over for a star trade maybe we’re a contender. But if we can’t hit on that improbable outcome we’ll just be mediocre for a very long time.

I think if we ever dream of having Sexton run point I think we gotta have one of them 6"5ish combo guards next to him.

I havent watched Suggs much so dont know about his defense, but his passing and playmaking seems legit nice.

I also like the Nembhard kid from Pacers, albeit he is more of a raw prospect and they love him as well so likely not a trade candidate..
Agreed! Definitely on your wavelength regarding Sexton.

I figure they have the attitude of wanting to ride it out since the injury and rehab has been a super long road.

Fultz is playing out of his mind. He can shoot once again! I don't think he's hit his ceiling, either. I expect him to get more and more confident and his athleticism will back him up. He'll be a good 2nd/3rd scorer for them.

I think they'd rather trade Suggs than Fultz or Carter. I don't know if the Magic have any garbage contracts they want to add to Suggs to even the money out; that might be an option. I really like the fact Suggs can play defense but he does get a lot of minutes which unfortunately ups his value.
Fultz has hit 3's in 3 games (out of 11 played) this season. I wouldnt call that shooting out of his mind. He's hitting 3's on a very small sample size.

Doesn’t surprise me that people are already getting bored of this roster. We’re already discussing trading anyone good so we can get bad. I don’t even think that’s necessarily wrong from a team building perspective….but damn it is really depressing that trading Lauri is even a thought.

Realistically, trading Lauri/JC is not an option and we’ll be working from a late lottery position for the foreseeable future. This won’t be a bottom feeder no matter how much people on this forum want it to be.

The next few years will be hoping and praying on finding the next Mitchell/Gobert in the draft, having extreme lotto luck and hitting on the lotto luck, or finding another Lauri in a trade. If we can do that and have enough left over for a star trade maybe we’re a contender. But if we can’t hit on that improbable outcome we’ll just be mediocre for a very long time.
Don’t sugarcoat it Kqwin, tell us how you really feel! :p C’mon man not to late to don those rose colored glasses and come in for some kool aide.:cool:

Deals just dont usually happen in December/January. I dont think Utah is desperate to do anything and I dont know who is out there desperate to get Utah's pieces.

All these playoff teams are anticipating a lot of teams to be "sellers" so they are looking for discounts, not to overpay early.

Deals just dont usually happen in December/January. I dont think Utah is desperate to do anything and I dont know who is out there desperate to get Utah's pieces.

All these playoff teams are anticipating a lot of teams to be "sellers" so they are looking for discounts, not to overpay early.
Dude, it’s Christmas time! I mean we can dream can’t we? You old Ebenezer!;)

I do love that kind of optimism. And hey, I love the guy, who doesn’t, but so tired of seeing him getting posted up, then the load management stuff. Big contract!
According to quite a few reports he had a fair bit of interest around the league, but that was prior to injury and he hasn’t played near as well since.

Not sure people are bored... I think its just the nature of the NBA. We want to know where this is headed and its in a middle ground right now. I've actually enjoyed this season quite a bit... last two games have been bad but we've been given more "wow" moments this season than I would have guessed.

Any contender hits on some improbable luck... so yeah... we will need some luck. I don't think the odds are crazy long but we have like a 25% shot in the 10-14 range in finding a difference maker. Maybe a 5-10% chance with the other two picks. Its not impossible but I get nervous if we whiff on our picks this year that a 1-2 year trip to NBA purgatory becomes a 5 year trip to purgatory because of the pick we owe to OKC and the window around Lauri, Kessler, and JC... Lauri will be a good player for a while but he is cheap for 2.5 years... when he gets a raise it hurts what you can put around him... just makes it a little harder to build a winner.

We can probably nab a pick in 2024 to give us another shot to build around this group... the proposition of trading Lauri would really only be if someone blew us away and if the Jazz brass shared the concern with adding young-ish talent around him over the next 12-18 months.

Not sure people are bored... I think its just the nature of the NBA. We want to know where this is headed and its in a middle ground right now. I've actually enjoyed this season quite a bit... last two games have been bad but we've been given more "wow" moments this season than I would have guessed.

Any contender hits on some improbable luck... so yeah... we will need some luck. I don't think the odds are crazy long but we have like a 25% shot in the 10-14 range in finding a difference maker. Maybe a 5-10% chance with the other two picks. Its not impossible but I get nervous if we whiff on our picks this year that a 1-2 year trip to NBA purgatory becomes a 5 year trip to purgatory because of the pick we owe to OKC and the window around Lauri, Kessler, and JC... Lauri will be a good player for a while but he is cheap for 2.5 years... when he gets a raise it hurts what you can put around him... just makes it a little harder to build a winner.

We can probably nab a pick in 2024 to give us another shot to build around this group... the proposition of trading Lauri would really only be if someone blew us away and if the Jazz brass shared the concern with adding young-ish talent around him over the next 12-18 months.

I mean, do people really want to see this team play more? Maybe they do. I won’t speak for others, but I’ve never been less interested in an NBA season. It’s not just the Jazz either, it’s the new meta of the NBA. The Jazz just happen to be one of the biggest examples of this.

With this mentality, which again I’m not saying is necessarily wrong for team building, the best attitude I can have is that the games are meaningless. If you wanted to go further, you would actually say they do have meaning but the importance is that we should lose. Which is just dreadful to think about, but it’s true. Winning has no importance and that sucks.

How many teams in the NBA can actually say they have a shot at winning the title this year? For the teams that cannot, they are pretty much where the Jazz are. At best the games are meaningless, but truthfully it’s better that they lose. KOC the tank fetisher has claimed the Raptors should give up and tank. And yeah from his perspective which is resonance they should, but that ****ing sucks from a competition perspective.

If they can win the title, well it’s a little bit better but the truth is that the RS games still don’t matter much for them either. If a team can actually win a title, they are not worried about playoff positioning. HCA is the only thing that can be earned, and it’s simply not worth it. Teams are right by resting and not caring about RS because it actively works against winning the title.

Anyways, this is just a long winded rant about why the NBA is ruined for me. If others still enjoy, I wish I was with you. The fact that Lauri being traded is a somewhat logical move, in large part because we cannot suck with him…..that represents what the modern NBA is and I can’t be bothered anymore. I’d rather follow a sport where the games matter and they matter because both teams want to win.

Call me a fair weather fan if you want, but that’s not it. It sucked when the Jazz were the best team in the league just as it does now. When the 82 game season means nothing, the league means nothing.

I mean, do people really want to see this team play more? Maybe they do. I won’t speak for others, but I’ve never been less interested in an NBA season. It’s not just the Jazz either, it’s the new meta of the NBA. The Jazz just happen to be one of the biggest examples of this.

With this mentality, which again I’m not saying is necessarily wrong for team building, the best attitude I can have is that the games are meaningless. If you wanted to go further, you would actually say they do have meaning but the importance is that we should lose. Which is just dreadful to think about, but it’s true. Winning has no importance and that sucks.

How many teams in the NBA can actually say they have a shot at winning the title this year? For the teams that cannot, they are pretty much where the Jazz are. At best the games are meaningless, but truthfully it’s better that they lose. KOC the tank fetisher has claimed the Raptors should give up and tank. And yeah from his perspective which is resonance they should, but that ****ing sucks from a competition perspective.

If they can win the title, well it’s a little bit better but the truth is that the RS games still don’t matter much for them either. If a team can actually win a title, they are not worried about playoff positioning. HCA is the only thing that can be earned, and it’s simply not worth it. Teams are right by resting and not caring about RS because it actively works against winning the title.

Anyways, this is just a long winded rant about why the NBA is ruined for me. If others still enjoy, I wish I was with you. The fact that Lauri being traded is a somewhat logical move, in large part because we cannot suck with him…..that represents what the modern NBA is and I can’t be bothered anymore. I’d rather follow a sport where the games matter and they matter because both teams want to win.

Call me a fair weather fan if you want, but that’s not it. It sucked when the Jazz were the best team in the league just as it does now. When the 82 game season means nothing, the league means nothing.
I think maybe you don't like basketball. I have looked forward to almost every game and found many things quite enjoyable. Not every night can be game 7 of the finals. The players and coaches are always trying. I don't know that there has ever been this much talent, skill, and parity in the league.

As far as meaning in the regular season... Landing in the top 6 really matters as the play-in can leave you open to 1 game flukiness. As much is made of the evil that is tanking... how many teams are really tanking right now. Like 3-4 maybe... I think the Hornets, Bulls, Wiz are accidentally garbage.

I think you are placing too much value on how the league is covered by the major outlets. People love the transactional side of the game... sometimes more than the game. You really kinda need to separate the two. I wanted us to tank as it is the best long term strategy imo. During the games though... I always want us to win.

Long story short... if you aren't enjoying this Jazz season I believe that is a you problem and I would guess most here are having a good time.... even if we occasionally fake trade our beloved players.

I think maybe you don't like basketball. I have looked forward to almost every game and found many things quite enjoyable. Not every night can be game 7 of the finals. The players and coaches are always trying. I don't know that there has ever been this much talent, skill, and parity in the league.

As far as meaning in the regular season... Landing in the top 6 really matters as the play-in can leave you open to 1 game flukiness. As much is made of the evil that is tanking... how many teams are really tanking right now. Like 3-4 maybe... I think the Hornets, Bulls, Wiz are accidentally garbage.

I think you are placing too much value on how the league is covered by the major outlets. People love the transactional side of the game... sometimes more than the game. You really kinda need to separate the two. I wanted us to tank as it is the best long term strategy imo. During the games though... I always want us to win.

Long story short... if you aren't enjoying this Jazz season I believe that is a you problem and I would guess most here are having a good time.... even if we occasionally fake trade our beloved players.
So far this season has been great. I've really enjoyed watching our new players with a new coach and watching everything unfold. I'm not worried about wins and losses which has made my stress level go way down. We also have some really fun players to watch and have generally played with a lot of energy.

I will say that I can imagine my not worrying about wins and losses turn to apathy in general, and I start to be less invested in the team. I also can imagine if the team pivots in a direction that I don't like, then I could be less invested. Right now there are a lot of directions this rebuild could end up, and some of them are more exciting than others.

So far this season has been great. I've really enjoyed watching our new players with a new coach and watching everything unfold. I'm not worried about wins and losses which has made my stress level go way down. We also have some really fun players to watch and have generally played with a lot of energy.

I will say that I can imagine my not worrying about wins and losses turn to apathy in general, and I start to be less invested in the team. I also can imagine if the team pivots in a direction that I don't like, then I could be less invested. Right now there are a lot of directions this rebuild could end up, and some of them are more exciting than others.
Agree... the play style is also generally pretty awesome. You don't want to be so neutral long term with regard to wins and losses... but I think there are a lot of positive indicators so I'm generally optimistic.

Nice thread. Personally, I think it's too early for Jazz trades. Our team hasn't been fully healthy for a while and lost ground in the standings. But we shouldn't forget that between New Year and the trade deadline (February 9th) we have 12 home games and 5 road games.

I see what KqWIN is saying. I do think the team has gotten a bit stale. Not that they arent fun to watch, but the lack of young emerging talent has been kind of a drag. The fact that Ochai is basically non-playable is a big part of that.

Agreed, however after two b2b particularly painful beatdowns and when you factor in all the narrow victories and our awful defensive rating, you start to question our legitimacy, I mean at least I do.

With all our duplication it seems like a fairly simple fix with the right team and the right player swaps. Well at least in theory….OK the theory in my head anyway. :p

Nice thread. Personally, I think it's too early for Jazz trades. Our team hasn't been fully healthy for a while and lost ground in the standings. But we shouldn't forget that between New Year and the trade deadline (February 9th) we have 12 home games and 5 road games.
Fair enough and point well taken Sir! I admit that I’m a bit of a cynic and automatically look for the catch. The catch I’ve come up with for these hauls in the Gobert/Mitchell deals is that basically either these guys lack some degree of defensive and certain decision making skills or they lack confidence or both (with the possible exception of Kessler). But maybe you’re correct and time heals all wounds.

I would guess the 4 players on the Magic that could be moved are

Suggs
Hampton
Bamba
Harris

Now, what would you give up for any of those players? I would assume that would be looking for a wing type of player.

I could see their interest in Vanderbilt although I think they are hoping Isaac can play that type of part with the better offense when he returns.
Beasley maybe but he doesn't seem to fit their timeline either
If I am them I am looking for draft capital and I don't see the Jazz giving that up.
If they give up both Suggs and Hampton I could see them wanting a guard in return.

With that said I am a huge fan of Hampton. 6'5" combo guards are nice to have. I could see him developing with Sexton.
Suggs has been a disappointment so far but again a 6'5" combo guard is nice.
Bamba at this point is the biggest money trade chip to make things happen. I wouldn't mind a player like him on the bench learning from Kessler.

All things considered, I love what the magic has put together.

Fultz is actually looking like a good player. Anthony is a nice scoring punch off the bench.
Biggest hole seems to be 2 guards and they have Hampton and Suggs they hoped to fill that. Wagner could play here but I think is a better fit at the 3
With Wagner here, they look solid with Ross being a capable vet backup
They picked right with Banchero he will be a stud. If Isaac comes back he will be an amazing bench piece here
WCJ is pretty solid here with Bol Boll looking like Wemby light.

Could you imagine if they got VM in the draft? or even scoot? This team is looking to explode in the next few years.

Not to mention they are looking at 24 million under the cap next year and hardly anything the following year.

Last edited: