What's new

Tomic to the Jazz

I don't think he's a worse defender than Kanter. And, we need his offense. This would be huge.

I tend to agree. We really need something more than we have with our 2nd unit.
I have heard good things about him, but don't know if that just because it comes from Jazz sources.
I'll probably check out some stats and videos to see if what I'm hearing pans out with what I see in the limited video I'll watch.
I'm definitely intrigued and never actually thought this would happen. Still a little doubtful, but more hopeful than before.

We'd need a decent vet PG too. Exum / Burke looks really too light at PG if we really want to compete next season.

I'd like to see his contract bought out then used in a trade for a better draft pick then bring the other guy over. From everything I've heard his defense is atrocious. I don't want him screwing with our new identity on defense. And we aren't even sure how good he will be in the nba think he has more value as a trade chip with the reputation of best big on the best team over sea's. We've seen tons of these guys come over that are the best at their positions come over and fail at the nba. We might be better off trading him before he ever plays his first nba game.

Thoughts?

Either way this is good for the Jazz. He was worthless and may have some value now... even if it isn't much. I think having a more offensive player in a bit role won't mess up our defensive identity. Say Kanter was willing to come off the bench and do what was best for the team. He'd be a real asset.

Not to derail the thread but Kanter seems to have cooled a bit...No more diving in crowds and getting tons of assists.

From the same article in Marca: "Tomic has had a good year in Spain and he's in one of the best teams in Europe. We're at the point where we're seriously considering paying for his clause", according to Walt Perrin.

In my opinion it's a good move, it's his last chance to get on the NBA train and a backup center who has been in the Euroleague's 1st team the last 2 years could well be a bargain.

1. it's too late for him to get into this year's rookie of the yar comp

2. then his contract would count against the cap and ruin all of our max contract fever dreams

We would have to use some of our cap space next year if he comes over either way. Would rather get him in this year if its possible. Is his season really over?

According to Marca.com, the Utah Jazz have informed Croatian big-man Ante Tomic that they're willing to pay the buyout of his contract with Barcelona. So Tomic will most likely play in the NBA next season, leaving Europe for the first time in his career

Here is the referenced article that says something different:

The future of the project of Barcelona is in the eaves by the will of two of its most prominent players test the NBA experience. Ante Tomic, who turned 28 last February 17, knows that is before the last train to the best league in the world and do not want to miss. Utah, which drafteó him in 2008, has already made known the willingness to pay the indemnity clause to secure his services for the forthcoming season.

Barca and the Jazz could reach an agreement Pleiss

Tomic, now in his third season at the club, has finished a cycle in Europe where only has lacked so far, Euroleague title aspiring to get into the Final Four in Madrid with Barcelona before you pack. "Tomic has had a good year in Spain and is one of the best teams in Europe. We're at that point where we try to make the decision about paying Clause ", warned this week the vice president of the Jazz, Walt Perrin.

The march of Tomic, who won 40 valuation Cup final, and a member of the ideal quintet of Euroleague the past two years, would cause a revolution in the set of Xavi Pascual also has Tibor Pleiss. The German, signed to hit book last summer Laboral Kutxa could coincide in 2016 with Tomic own in Utah, which has become their rights, from Oklahoma, in recent NBA market movements.

Tomic only gets 15-20 a night in Euroleague... he should be fine with that in a bench role.

This is interesting. Also, if Tomic plays well for us and Pleiss is back in Europe putting up better numbers (as he'll be starting), teams will inquire about Pleiss.

Tomic is such, SUCH a good fit next to Gobert and Favors. It's almost too good to be true.

This is so ****ing exciting. There is simply no center in the FA market that fits this team better as a backup-big, for backup-big money.