What's new

Tony Jones

RandyForRubio

Thought this deserved its own thread.

Tony Jones is leaving the SL Tribune. Big loss for us as fans. I think Tony is one of the best reporters we could ask for. I’m personally hoping that he’s going to The Athletic, but we shall see. I would assume Andy Larsen takes his spot? Idk.

Tony Jones is leaving the SL Tribune. Big loss for us as fans. I think Tony is one of the best reporters we could ask for. I’m personally hoping that he’s going to The Athletic, but we shall see. I would assume Andy Larsen takes his spot? Idk.

Like Tony a lot... Would like to thank him on his way out. I'm sure he's on to bigger things. Good for him.

Been following Tony for a while now. Good insight and good reporting. He will be missed

I enjoyed Tony because he seemed to have a different opinion than most of the Jazz media members. I will miss his twitter feed and interviews much more than his actual Trib stories.

Andy Larsen's position at KSL is open. Larsen even re-posted it on twitter.

Larsen is already on the Trib. The Trib usually carries two or three beat writers. Last year it was Jones, Goon, and Faulk. Right now they just have Andy.

Larsen is already on the Trib. The Trib usually carries two or three beat writers. Last year it was Jones, Goon, and Faulk. Right now they just have Andy.

Yes, I know. But Tony was the main guy who also had the Trib twitter account. I was just assuming Andy takes Tony’s spot...moving up in the rotation so to speak.

I’m probly wrong though.

I'm guessing he is going to go to a Laker's beat. With Lebron in town, the demand for coverage probably doubles and opens up a lot of positions.

I'm guessing he is going to go to a Laker's beat. With Lebron in town, the demand for coverage probably doubles and opens up a lot of positions.

I don’t think so. He keeps on saying he’s gonna stay close.

I bet he’s with The Athletic, taking more of an overall NBA role, primarily in the PNW and surrounding area. So Jazz, Portland, LA, Phoenix, etc.

I bet he’s with The Athletic, taking more of an overall NBA role, primarily in the PNW and surrounding area. So Jazz, Portland, LA, Phoenix, etc.

To follow up, on his podcast with Larsen, he said that he would be here for the media day in 10 days.

Other interesting factoids: Grayson Allen is going to play right away, at least 8-10 minutes.

Jae Crowder will have to play well at the beginning of the season to get minutes.

Jazz love Thabo.

The Athletic already has Ben Dowsett tho. They really going to sign two local writers to the Jazz?

The Athletic already has Ben Dowsett tho. They really going to sign two local writers to the Jazz?

Ben Dowsett occasionally freelances for them. He’s not actually a part of them. He fills an “analytics” niche for them. And I don’t think Tony would just cover the Jazz...think he would do more teams, break news, etc.

It’s obviously the Donovan Mitchell effect.

Ye
Ben Dowsett occasionally freelances for them. He’s not actually a part of them. He fills an “analytics” niche for them. And I don’t think Tony would just cover the Jazz...think he would do more teams, break news, etc.

It’s obviously the Donovan Mitchell effect.
Yeah, I guess Dowsett is more of a long form contributor and not a daily beat.

So they bring over Andy Larsen from KSL because they know Tony is going to be leaving. But then they move their music reporter over to become @tribjazz? I don't get it. Especially when Larsen is probably the best beat writer we've had covering the Jazz in years and years.