What's new

Top Gun: Maverick

That's cause he's free of thetans dude... Doubt the studio's insurance lets him do all his own stunts. I used to find him unwatchable, especially in his early films but I liked that one where he played a drunk ninja and Edge of Tomorrow.

Those two movies aren’t even in his top 15-20.

I think im one of the only people on the planet who really liked vanilla sky

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I watched the first one again on Netflix prior to seeing it and the second is better in every single way. I didn't realize how much the first one leaned into the romance schtick way too much while this one flirted with it, but was smart enough to know that nobody gives a **** about that, we just want to see jets and it delivers on that.

Definitely a film for the theaters as a spectacle - pure throwback to the 80's which I enjoyed.

Vanilla Sky introduced me to Sigur Ros that was my go-to study music in college.

Just watched this tonight. I really enjoyed it and can't quite explain why. The dialog wasn't super well written and there wasn't much character development. The only thing I can really point to was how simple it was, which was a nice reprieve from some of the overly complicated shows today. I thought there was some fun nostalgia moments, but not too many.

Just watched this tonight. I really enjoyed it and can't quite explain why. The dialog wasn't super well written and there wasn't much character development. The only thing I can really point to was how simple it was, which was a nice reprieve from some of the overly complicated shows today. I thought there was some fun nostalgia moments, but not too many.

What were you expecting? Its not like the first Top Gun was Citizen Kane or anything.

Watched the old Top Gun in preparation. I really love that movie and its soundtrack, the volleyball scene, etc. I sometimes miss the 80s (my 20s). I'd live that decade over again if I could. Good times.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app
We did the same thing and it made the sequel so much better. Maverick was really an excellent movie all around, and one of the best sequels I've seen. Definitely not a perfect movie by any stretch but on the whole it was really well done. Lots of heart that felt earned and legit not just melodrama or sappiness. And the scenes with Kilmer, knowing what he has gone through, had real weight.

But the experience is definitely enhanced if you've seen the first one recently.

Another thing I think they absolutely nailed was the flight choreography and the explanations and dialogue during the flights that made it easier for people to follow without sounding fake and cheesy. The chatter between the pilots combined with the flight sim portion and the excellent cinematography made it much more enjoyable when all too often these things lend themselves to just chaotic swirling of wings and planes and missiles with no coherent flow. The direct work with the military really paid off in that regard.

Pretty much this… told some friends it was a little cheesy but I appreciate simple entertainment and not overthinking ****. Pretty wholesome.

Guy in my hood is basically the real life Maverick… he said the flight stuff was good and the ego/personality management is real.

Pretty much this… told some friends it was a little cheesy but I appreciate simple entertainment and not overthinking ****. Pretty wholesome.

Guy in my hood is basically the real life Maverick… he said the flight stuff was good and the ego/personality management is real.
For me the cheese factor was 90% less than the original.

All the fighter pilots I watch on youtube all really liked it as well. The second time I watched the movie I payed alot of attention to the flying scenes, things inside the cockpit., control surfaces, ect.. Just things you would not get with CGI. This was a good mix of Hollywood (mostly at the end) to keep it interesting for casuals with alot things thrown in for aviation fans to pick up on.