What's new

Trade Confirmed: Jazz get jack for Bogey

I was most definitely wrong that we wouldn’t take an inferior deal. You got me.
I think we fell into a few traps on this one...

-Misreading the coming cap environment. Long deals aren't necessarily all that toxic.
- Likely didn't want to stack picks in 2023 when we already have 3 and have some roster spots committed to young guys like Ochai and Kessler... the old "you can't bring in X amount of rookies lolz"
- Finally the GM getting one of "his guys".

if we don't do another deal with the slight financial flexibility we gained then its a ****** trade and not some part of a master plan. When the owner ends up pocketing those savings folks better not come back here talking about how "nothing turned up" or "they will re-invest those dollars elsewhere". The Ingles trade was a credit card deal to save 12M last year. We got an inferior player at a position of "need" who makes less money. That money factored heavily into the decision. I do think we should avoid the tax this year but you can find other cheaper ways to do so rather than giving up you best veteran piece. This does kind of kick the can down the road if we did a deal involving KO midseason I guess.

As it sits I give the trade an F.

On top of hating this trade for the Jazz, I also hate that we sent Bogey to Detroit. I wish we could've sent him to a contender, or at least a playoff team. I'm glad his contract expires after this season.

On top of hating this trade for the Jazz, I also hate that we sent Bogey to Detroit. I wish we could've sent him to a contender, or at least a playoff team. I'm glad his contract expires after this season.
If Detroit isn't firmly in the play in mix he will get moved again. Don't worry about Bogey... he will be fine.

Man, I hate this trade. Simply awful. Hated the Beverley trade. Why in the world wouldn’t we trade Bogey for a late ‘23 pick? So what if we have a bunch of picks in ‘23? It’s a deep draft, more draft picks give you more flexibility to move up in the draft lottery if we’re unlucky. I don’t want to draft in the 10 to 14 spot. I want to suck as much as possible to give ourselves the highest chance of landing in the top 3 in the lottery. Right now, I could see us the high 30’s. This trade is a giant, smelly pile of dog crap.

The most prominent thing I’m seeing is Lakers fans crying that they didn’t get Bogey and there is a Lakers tax added on in deals lmao.
I don't think the Lakers put a first on the table... that's my story/read on this. If they want a deal I'd consider Mike/JC/Gay for Russ and give us some seconds. Whatever value JC has offsets the negative of Gay's deal and Mike's slightly negative deal. I just want to clear the cap and clear the log jam we have. I want to start Sexton at pg with Beasley....

I also am worried they try to start KO with Vando and then push Lauri to the 3. They can easily just bring KO off the bench.

I don't think the Lakers put a first on the table... that's my story/read on this. If they want a deal I'd consider Mike/JC/Gay for Russ and give us some seconds. Whatever value JC has offsets the negative of Gay's deal and Mike's slightly negative deal. I just want to clear the cap and clear the log jam we have. I want to start Sexton at pg with Beasley....

I also am worried they try to start KO with Vando and then push Lauri to the 3. They can easily just bring KO off the bench.
Danny would just say some BS about the Jazz playing positionless basketball.

less incoming against the cap in 2 role players is probably better than 1 less year of a potential disgruntled vet. I don't like the return, Lee should be bought out or whatever and Olynyk only makes sense off the bench on a good team. This was about cap space so they can eat a larger contrasct for picks later or something.

So then Mike is getting traded to NY right? couldn't think of a destination that was less likely.

Still the thing I'm most flabbergasted by is the fact that the Pistons have 9 total 2nd rounders to trade and Utah couldnt get one out of this.
It would be nice to be flush with second rounders... at very least when teams give up on cap space aspirations you can use them to offload contracts like Gay's.

SA also used a solid second and Thad Young to move into the late first round.