What's new

Trade deadline discussion

How heartless will Ainge and Smith be here. Like will they trade Joe's deal to save a few pennies in luxury tax? I wouldn't put it past them.
Like Matt Harpring who was salary dumped to OKC and retired before he could put on a Thunder Jersey. Korver too, who lasted about half of a season after we traded him. But neither could compare to what Jingles done for this organization though

I’m kinda in Standpatsville. I’m probably too sentimental. Maybe trade JC for Smart still and get K-Hustle. Re-tool in the off-season almost no matter what. But let the team come together after this and fight to where they will.

Bill Simmons had a brief excerpt on his pod today and talked about Jazz and trade stuff. He mentioned quietly JC's name was out there... Not much to it but its the first we have heard of JC's name being out there.

I don't recommend we do anything drastic at the deadline. I would be very reluctant to trade JB. He's started hitting shots and I think he will be more necessary with Joe out. I think it will be harder to live with Forrest's offense without Joe.

Go ahead and position yourself cap wise and player wise for something... but do not throw a pick in trying to chase something that just ain't happening. Head the advice of TLC.... don't go chasing waterfalls.

I’m kinda in Standpatsville. I’m probably too sentimental. Maybe trade JC for Smart still but IDK. Re-tool in the off-season almost no matter what. But let the team come together after this and fight to where they will.
It feels kinda pointless to do the "all in" move now. It was always likely not a worthwhile endeavor. If there is something good that gives you some flexibility then do it. If there is a big pivot deal with Bogey or Mike that might not be there in the offseason... then go for it.

If I can get off of JC's deal I do it. If you can get something that helps open up the window more for next year or 2-3 years from now then do it.

It feels kinda pointless to do the "all in" move now. It was always likely not a worthwhile endeavor. If there is something good that gives you some flexibility then do it. If there is a big pivot deal with Bogey or Mike that might not be there in the offseason... then go for it.

If I can get off of JC's deal I do it. If you can get something that helps open up the window more for next year or 2-3 years from now then do it.
I honestly don't know what the play is right now. I don't know what to do.

This is a crushing blow. The only silver lining is that he was probably done after this year anyway. Doesn't make trading him right now any better.

I mean, I guess we could trade him, he gets waived and we add him to the coaching staff just to end this season. But that seems a little unprecedented.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I honestly don't know what the play is right now. I don't know what to do.

This is a crushing blow. The only silver lining is that he was probably done after this year anyway. Doesn't make trading him right now any better.

I mean, I guess we could trade him, he gets waived and we add him to the coaching staff just to end this season. But that seems a little unprecedented.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah... IDK either. Not sure the coaching thing can happen... not sure what the rules are on it.

I just hope they don't move him for a lower expiring deal just to save some money. If they have to use his contract in another deal I get it... its a business. If its a Miye Oni type of deal then Ainge and Smith can go to hell.

Yeah... IDK either. Not sure the coaching thing can happen... not sure what the rules are on it.

I just hope they don't move him for a lower expiring deal just to save some money. If they have to use his contract in another deal I get it... its a business. If its a Miye Oni type of deal then Ainge and Smith can go to hell.
Yeah, if they just trade him to save money, that's an awful look for Ainge starting this role with us.

I don't know why we wouldn't be allowed to bring back Joe in a "non-player" role if he is waived/bought out by a team we trade him to. But at that point, does he even want to come back and sit on our bench while he recovers?

This whole situation sucks.

Yeah, if they just trade him to save money, that's an awful look for Ainge starting this role with us.

I don't know why we wouldn't be allowed to bring back Joe in a "non-player" role if he is waived/bought out by a team we trade him to. But at that point, does he even want to come back and sit on our bench while he recovers?

This whole situation sucks.
I'm not sure if they have to file retirement paperwork before being a team employee... like there may be some rules around it to avoid circumvention. I have no idea how that works.

I'm not sure if they have to file retirement paperwork before being a team employee... like there may be some rules around it to avoid circumvention. I have no idea how that works.
Yeah. I'm trying to research to know if there is precedent. I would imagine he would have to officially retire.

Jordan Clarkson and Doke for Ricky Rubio and a 1st. Who says no?

Let’s get an asset, maybe duck the tax next year, and give Joe an old buddy on the bench (while ******** out fewer ****** possessions).

Bill Simmons had a brief excerpt on his pod today and talked about Jazz and trade stuff. He mentioned quietly JC's name was out there... Not much to it but its the first we have heard of JC's name being out there.

I don't recommend we do anything drastic at the deadline. I would be very reluctant to trade JB. He's started hitting shots and I think he will be more necessary with Joe out. I think it will be harder to live with Forrest's offense without Joe.

Go ahead and position yourself cap wise and player wise for something... but do not throw a pick in trying to chase something that just ain't happening. Head the advice of TLC.... don't go chasing waterfalls.

I'm so glad to know JC's name is at least out there. I've been so frustrated because it seemed like they weren't even shopping him at all and it made absolutely no sense.

Jordan Clarkson and Doke for Ricky Rubio and a 1st. Who says no?

Let’s get an asset, maybe duck the tax next year, and give Joe an old buddy on the bench (while ******** out fewer ****** possessions).
If shedding money was the train of thought, let's....

Trade Clarkson for Satoransky and a handful of 2nd rounders (we save $2.5 million in salaries this year and Sato is an expiring)

then

Trade Bojan for Rubio, their 2022 1st and the Houston 2022 2nd rounder they have (save another $3+ million in salaries and Rubio is an expiring).

Without Bojan and Clarkson for 2022-23, we would be at around $110 million which is well below the luxury line. And we would have Conley's expiring.

I wouldn't do both of these deals, but if you're looking for cost cutting...

If shedding money was the train of thought, let's....

Trade Clarkson for Satoransky and a handful of 2nd rounders (we save $2.5 million in salaries this year and Sato is an expiring)

then

Trade Bojan for Rubio, their 2022 1st and the Houston 2022 2nd rounder they have (save another $3+ million in salaries and Rubio is an expiring).

Without Bojan and Clarkson for 2022-23, we would be at around $110 million which is well below the luxury line. And we would have Conley's expiring.

I wouldn't do both of these deals, but if you're looking for cost cutting...
I’m looking to dump a player that actively makes us (much) worse, get an asset, and save money (next year).

That Bojan deal is insane.

I’m looking to dump a player that actively makes us (much) worse, get an asset, and save money (next year).

That Bojan deal is insane.
I agree.

I also wouldn't trade Clarkson for no value back at all for this season.

What message would sending out an able player for a player out for the year when we just lost Ingles for the year?

I agree.

I also wouldn't trade Clarkson for no value back at all for this season.

What message would sending out an able player for a player out for the year when we just lost Ingles for the year?
That it’s a basketball decision and addition by subtraction. Cuz it certainly will be if he doesn’t suddenly revert back to the previous two years’ form.

That it’s a basketball decision and addition by subtraction. Cuz it certainly will be if he doesn’t suddenly revert back to the previous two years’ form.
For us fans yes. We see it as clearing some money and playing somebody younger. For guys like Rudy, Mike and Don, they would probably be pissed if we dumped Clarkson away for nothing that helps this year.

We are in such an incredibly tight spot right now. Emotions are high. The world is crumbling. If you trade away Clarkson for an injured expiring player and a pick, might as well trade Conley and Bojan too.

For us fans yes. We see it as clearing some money and playing somebody younger.
I said nothing about that. I’m simply stating the fact that Jordan Clarkson has been kamikaze-ing games. The players love him but they know it too. Unless he’s hot, he’s more destructive than CJ Miles at his worst. Like I already said, probably more than ten times in different ways, Clarkson just makes the Jazz worse. Period. Full stop. Point blank. Addition by subtraction.

We’ve traded or moved on from more useful players from more tight-knit teams.

You can also use that 1st in a trade.