What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I said nothing about that. I’m simply stating the fact that Jordan Clarkson has been kamikaze-ing games. The players love him but they know it too. Unless he’s hot, he’s more destructive than CJ Miles at his worst. Like I already said, probably more than ten times in different ways, Clarkson just makes the Jazz worse. Period. Full stop. Point blank. Addition by subtraction.

We’ve traded or moved on from more useful players from more tight-knit teams.

You can also use that 1st in a trade.
I agree that he hurts sometimes more than helps.

I think we could justify Clarkson to NOLA for Satoransky and numerous 2nd rounders better than we could Clarkson to the Cavs for Rubio and maybe a highly protected 1st.

I agree that he hurts sometimes more than helps.

I think we could justify Clarkson to NOLA for Satoransky and numerous 2nd rounders better than we could Clarkson to the Cavs for Rubio and maybe a highly protected 1st.
Why? Satoransky has been awful and the Jazz need a 1st pretty badly if they want to retool in the next year (they need to).

It’s certainly better on salary, though, and maybe there’s something to the optics of getting any player at all, sure. But part of where my head was at was to bring Ricky’s presence back (if he’s even show up) since I care a lot about the camaraderie/locker room stuff.

Why? Satoransky has been awful and the Jazz need a 1st pretty badly if they want to retool in the next year (they need to).

It’s certainly better on salary, though, and maybe there’s something to the optics of getting any player at all, sure. But part of where my head was at was to bring Ricky’s presence back (if he’s even show up) since I care a lot about the camaraderie/locker room stuff.
A few reasons I don't think your trade idea (Clarkson and somebody for Rubio) would happen

#1 - we're cheap. We aren't going to spend a couple extra million in salary which means millions more in luxury especially for a guy who is out for the year.

#2 - I don't think Cleveland would send a 1st for Clarkson in any scenario.

#3 - Our team is built for right now, and Rubio is out for the year. The message that sends would be painful.

Satoransky sucks. I really don't like that deal either, but at least we would save money and get back a warm body who can lace them up.

A few reasons I don't think your trade idea (Clarkson and somebody for Rubio) would happen

#1 - we're cheap. We aren't going to spend a couple extra million in salary which means millions more in luxury especially for a guy who is out for the year.

#2 - I don't think Cleveland would send a 1st for Clarkson in any scenario.

#3 - Our team is built for right now, and Rubio is out for the year. The message that sends would be painful.

Satoransky sucks. I really don't like that deal either, but at least we would save money and get back a warm body who can lace them up.
We can get a warm body off the scrap heap that would be better (and hungrier) than Sato. I just looked up his stats (and age) for this year and it’s incredibly abysmal. I think he’s out of the league next year.

I may be somewhat naive, but I cannot stress enough that Clarkson makes the Jazz worse and the Jazz need a 1st in anyway that doesn’t negate the quality of play right now.

But whatever. Just trying to get creative.

How heartless will Ainge and Smith be here. Like will they trade Joe's deal to save a few pennies in luxury tax? I wouldn't put it past them.
Part of me has been half expecting Ainge to do an Ingles deal not just to get something for him, but to show he's in charge and show he's happy to do something unpopular (re. Isiah Thomas.) He strikes me as that kind of guy.
I think the chances of that just shot up.

We can get a warm body off the scrap heap that would be better (and hungrier) than Sato. I just looked up his stats (and age) for this year and it’s incredibly abysmal. I think he’s out of the league next year.

I may be somewhat naive, but I cannot stress enough that Clarkson makes the Jazz worse and the Jazz need a 1st in anyway that doesn’t negate the quality of play right now.

But whatever. Just trying to get creative.
I'm with you. I think Clarkson needs to go. Just not sure what that deal might be.

So, in summary, we’re totally ****ed.

****ety **** ****.
It actually sounds not as bad as it could’ve been. Watch his leg in slow motion and how he lands; it looks like he could’ve torn other ligaments, dislocated his kneecap/torn the patellar tendon, and/or had meniscus damage as well.

That’s probably all for his career in the NBA, but maybe he goes balls to the wall on PEDs (what, are they gonna suspend him? Oh no) and rehab and he’ll give it one more go in the next year or two.

On court and in the front office.... tough couple weeks ahead.

The degree of difficulty was already kinda high to make this team a "contender". It just keeps getting higher. I'm going to guess that nothing ends up making sense.

Part of me has been half expecting Ainge to do an Ingles deal not just to get something for him, but to show he's in charge and show he's happy to do something unpopular (re. Isiah Thomas.) He strikes me as that kind of guy.
I think the chances of that just shot up.
The sad truth is this - if we can make this team better using Ingles' expiring even though he's hurt, you almost have to do it.

As bad as everything is right now, the dream would be for us to trade Joe for something that helps us then we bring Joe back as a coach for the rest of the year after he retires. We win the title and he's standing right there.

I'm with you. I think Clarkson needs to go. Just not sure what that deal might be.
My last pitch is that from the Cleveland side, they need some guard depth now and I think they are desperate to put a winner on the floor and into the playoffs. When was the last time they were even half-decent without Lebron?

And if the decision is to get on with the re-tool, this would be a strong move in that direction. I see this as a hedge because we’re getting an all-time buddy back in the locker room. I’m really hoping Joe sticks around for the rest of the season.

My last pitch is that from the Cleveland side, they need some guard depth now and I think they are desperate to put a winner on the floor and into the playoffs. When was the last time they were even half-decent without Lebron?

And if the decision is to get on with the re-tool, this would be a strong move in that direction. I see this as a hedge because we’re getting an all-time buddy back in the locker room. I’m really hoping Joe sticks around for the rest of the season.
If we could definitely get a 1st rounder in the deal, I would do it. Rubio and a 1st for Clarkson and either Whiteside or Dok.

I don't think Cleveland would give us a 1st, but maybe they do. I would find it hard to believe that our FO would eat that money difference either. But maybe the savings next year persuades the FO to get off Clarkson's deal now.

If we could definitely get a 1st rounder in the deal, I would do it. Rubio and a 1st for Clarkson and either Whiteside or Dok.

I don't think Cleveland would give us a 1st, but maybe they do. I would find it hard to believe that our FO would eat that money difference either. But maybe the savings next year persuades the FO to get off Clarkson's deal now.
That’s exactly my thinking, and given the financial losses (this year), there’s no way I do it without a 1st.

Cleveland likely gets Eric Gordon if they throw in their first. We should be happy getting a good second (they have two good ones) and expiring salary for JC.

It all depends on the mentality of the front office right now. Which way do they go... there is a small fork in the road now and a huge one this offseason.

My predictions:

-5% chance something WILD happens. They trade one of Mike, Rudy, or Donovan. Some desperate team throws a YOLO offer out and we take it.
-15% chance we do something of medium significance... trading JC and stuff for Smart or Joe and stuff for something that nets starter level person.
-20% chance we do something out of left field... Like Royce for expirings and a first or Rudy Gay for something.
-40% chance we do almost nothing. Like the deal last year for Cold Matthew.
-20% chance we do a panic overpay trade where we give too much for a lateral move and make our situation worse. I think Danny walks away from the table pretty regularly if he isn't getting something of value... but Ryan may be freaking out.

Jabari Parker, Kris Dunn, Greg Monroe and Jordan Crawford are free agents. We wouldn't have to sweeten the deal with stinking draft picks.

Cleveland likely gets Eric Gordon if they throw in their first. We should be happy getting a good second (they have two good ones) and expiring salary for JC.

It all depends on the mentality of the front office right now. Which way do they go... there is a small fork in the road now and a huge one this offseason.

My predictions:

-5% chance something WILD happens. They trade one of Mike, Rudy, or Donovan. Some desperate team throws a YOLO offer out and we take it.
-15% chance we do something of medium significance... trading JC and stuff for Smart or Joe and stuff for something that nets starter level person.
-20% chance we do something out of left field... Like Royce for expirings and a first or Rudy Gay for something.
-40% chance we do almost nothing. Like the deal last year for Cold Matthew.
-20% chance we do a panic overpay trade where we give too much for a lateral move and make our situation worse. I think Danny walks away from the table pretty regularly if he isn't getting something of value... but Ryan may be freaking out.
If you were the GM right now, what would you do?

Tony says no Bogey trade likely. With that being the case, I’m not sure that there’s anyone we could trade that would move the needle at all.

Just depressing all around. Totally ****ed right now and not a real path to improve this season.

Honestly, it’s just time to cash in what we can on this core. It’s time to deal the older guys for younger players or assets we can use to acquire younger players for the next core that’s more on Don’s timeline. I’d deal Clarkson and one of Bogey or Conley now at the deadline. Then move the other in the offseason.

Last edited:
The sad truth is this - if we can make this team better using Ingles' expiring even though he's hurt, you almost have to do it.

As bad as everything is right now, the dream would be for us to trade Joe for something that helps us then we bring Joe back as a coach for the rest of the year after he retires. We win the title and he's standing right there.
Yeah. I honestly doubt Joe would mind, since he was likely done anyway. After a year he could sign a 10 day and retire or something. I am a strong proponent of a Udonis Haslem situation.