What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Here is the issue... what else are we giving in that scenario.... OKC will have a few teams... Clips and others that will throw them stuff for that space. They won't do it just because.

While everyone knows you can buy second round picks 10 for $1 at your local Macy's during draft night... you can't buy any now... and we have like 2 left... and one is conditional... so we have 1.5 second round picks we can trade. That cupboard ain't bare but there is only some expired medicine and a container of chick-fil-a sauce left there. The sauce is Polynesian so maybe?
Make the Favors pick fully unprotected (not just remove *some* protection) and get Hustle. It’ll make it easier to trade future picks also.

I'm basically here, besides being aggressive on Bogey (though I believe Tony Jones that he won't be moved at the deadline.) He's 33 next year, has one more year left, now is the best time to move him.

I have zero faith in this team making it past the second round, start the retooling now. Not a rebuild yet, but sell off the older players while you can. Don't make the same mistake they did with Millsap.
I'm not sure on Bogey. I don't think his trade value is as high as his on court value. I think he is totally fine next year. I actually worry more about Mike and Royce. I think Royce's trade value might be higher than his on court value... if House was replacing him. As long as Mike stays healthy I think he has value in the offseason, but if we got a really good offer there I think we'd have to consider it. Not sure there is a really good offer there because there is so much PG depth in the league.

The type of offers that would have me start thinking about Mike trades are pretty high but I could see the Celtics or Wizards deciding to do something semi-drastic I guess... maybe just the Wiz.

Make the Favors pick fully unprotected (not just remove *some* protection) and get Hustle. It’ll make it easier to trade future picks also.
If they did it without Kenny Hustle we should quit as fans. Just pick another team. I'd be pissed.

Not only are we not going to cut salary, but we’re going to use the full Favors TPE plus sign buyout vets.
Meanwhile in reality land... we eff around with House on 10 day deals to save a few dollars and reduce the risk if we had to waive him if he got hurt. Running the risk that another team swoops in with an offer after realizing the only thing he did was have sex and he's still a useful player.

Whatever we do I am sure it will piss me off and block any potential chance we get of seeing JB (who I am not trading now... keep him out your damn trade machine).

I think trading the Ingles contract makes a lot more sense now. It’s not actually trading Joe anymore, just his contract. He won’t have to report, move, wear another team’s jersey. Hopefully it is for a player and not just tax savings, but either way I can’t imagine Joe would be upset with this given the injury.

Joe’s minutes could be filled by Kenrich Williams. Though we’re going to have a problem filling the PG role Joe filled. I don’t want Forrest. It’d be cool if Dragic got bought out. Worst case scenario (not for me, it’d be a good case scenario) is just sign Dunn.

a note:
I desperately want Marc Gasol to come here but Girona's season runs into May and I believe he is the owner. I obviously had hopes serious enough to look this up, but I don't think it's happening.

Joe’s minutes could be filled by Kenrich Williams. Though we’re going to have a problem filling the PG role Joe filled. I don’t want Forrest. It’d be cool if Dragic got bought out. Worst case scenario (not for me, it’d be a good case scenario) is just sign Dunn.
Kenny can handle a bit. He'd be a good fit for that role. Dragic is headed to Dallas once he's bought out... its basically been guaranteed since he was moved to Toronto. Him and Luka are buds I guess.

Dunn played a G League game... it did not go well based on the box score... keep monitoring the situation.

JB needs to take up some minutes and House steps in to play some. We likely roll with Forrest but JB was a better option before we lost the shooting and playmaking... he's an even better fit now. Do it now and you don't have to hurt Forrest's feelings (its not you... our needs changed).

Kenny can handle a bit. He'd be a good fit for that role. Dragic is headed to Dallas once he's bought out... its basically been guaranteed since he was moved to Toronto. Him and Luka are buds I guess.

Dunn played a G League game... it did not go well based on the box score... keep monitoring the situation.

JB needs to take up some minutes and House steps in to play some. We likely roll with Forrest but JB was a better option before we lost the shooting and playmaking... he's an even better fit now. Do it now and you don't have to hurt Forrest's feelings (its not you... our needs changed).
While you’re thinking we need shooting to fill that role, Quin is thinking we need experience to fill that role. Forrest gets the nod.

I think the Jazz should have (and probably are having) deep discussions with Sacramento--not just about Barnes, but other guys as well, like Holmes, Len and even Bagley.

So Washington apparently not all cool with Dinwiddie... he is basically JC but he passes a little. Not sure if his defense is any good. Wonder if they would do JC/Joe for Dinwiddie and Bryant. They have too many centers. Bryant plays with some energy and can shoot a little.

It is literally shuffling the deck chairs... Dinwiddie might pop back to form a little, but he also might just be JC with bad vibes. I don't think he's a cancer but he's different and a little prickly. I think we could extract a second round pick or two in the deal to use elsewhere if we needed.

Just a random stray thought.

I could see Clarkson ending up in Sacramento, New Orleans or possibly Charlotte. If the Jazz trade with Washington, the target would have to be one of their overstock of bigs.

We are an old team. We are an old, expensive team.

After the Conley deal, we had no margin for error, and injuries derailed 2020 and 2021. We could also blame roster construction, but we know injuries were a big factor.

This season, we have lost Ingles while other injuries have piled up. Most our roster is at the age now that anybody not named Don gets an injury anywhere close to that, and that player is done providing the quality of play they have been providing. Yesterday was tragic. Just imagine if it was Bojan or Conley who still have $20+ million owed for next season. Or even worse, Rudy.

We are in a very interesting position right now. I really don't know what to expect, but I think anything could be on the table.