What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Yeah, that's kind of Utah's weakness. They don't have a do it all type player. Ideally we need someone who is between a Royce and a Bojan.
How do you fix it when you don't have that one guy to fix it all? You assign it to multiple guys. Simply put, we need more Royce's. We got him and Jingles off the waiver wire. Don't know why we stop digging for players like that. We shouldn't have kept guys like Oni for that long. He's a waste of precious roster spot where we can offer to actual NBA talent. Doke and Hughes too.

How do you fix it when you don't have that one guy to fix it all? You assign it to multiple guys. Simply put, we need more Royce's. We got him and Jingles off the waiver wire. Don't know why we stop digging for players like that. We shouldn't have kept guys like Oni for that long. He's a waste of precious roster spot where we can offer to actual NBA talent. Doke and Hughes too.
With Quin's system anyone outside the hard rotation will be worthless because of virtually no minutes and very little stats. We may not have enough info on Oni, Hughes etc.

With Quin's system anyone outside the hard rotation will be worthless because of virtually no minutes and very little stats. We may not have enough info on Oni, Hughes etc.
We do have enough info on Oni and Hughes, that info is "Quin doesn't trust them". If there's one coach's judgment on players that i'd trust, it's Quin's. Literally zero player who were overlooked by Quin has panned out since they left the Jazz. DedEx, Burke, Lyles, Kanter, Bradley,Bolomboy, Brantley, Morgan, Rajon Tucker, etc. All barely surviving on min deals or just got washed out of the league entirely. How can you say these guys were only worthless under Quin's system when they were basically worthless on every NBA team they've been to?
Its not like Ty Corbin situation where he benched Rudy in his rookie year so he could give the starting role to Marvin Williams whose contract expires the next summer, or Demarre Carroll who was declined the min deal by DL/Corbin then immediately went onto become the elite 3D player, averaging 11 and 5 for Atlanta the next season. Then you can tell me we don't have enough info on these guys because I don't trust those clowns judgement at all.

Nah, AD isn't a good enough ball handler. Durant is the one that you would want 5 of. Maybe kahwi. Of course the real answer is prime lebron.
If you had 5 kawhi you'd never make the playoffs. They all have to rest for minimum 30% of the season so you'd never field a full 5. In the games they all played, like maybe a dozen games, it would be fun to watch though.

We do have enough info on Oni and Hughes, that info is "Quin doesn't trust them". If there's one coach's judgment on players that i'd trust, it's Quin's. Literally zero player who were overlooked by Quin has panned out since they left the Jazz. DedEx, Burke, Lyles, Kanter, Bradley,Bolomboy, Brantley, Morgan, Rajon Tucker, etc. All barely surviving on min deals or just got washed out of the league entirely. How can you say these guys were only worthless under Quin's system when they were basically worthless on every NBA team they've been to?
Its not like Ty Corbin situation where he benched Rudy in his rookie year so he could give the starting role to Marvin Williams whose contract expires the next summer, or Demarre Carroll who was declined the min deal by DL/Corbin then immediately went onto become the elite 3D player, averaging 11 and 5 for Atlanta the next season. Then you can tell me we don't have enough info on these guys because I don't trust those clowns judgement at all.
We could trade Oni and Hughes for say Jabari Parker and Kris Dunn and they will be as worthless to us as Oni and Hughes unless they break the rotation. I don't see Quin lengthening the rotation.

We could trade Oni and Hughes for say Jabari Parker and Kris Dunn and they will be as worthless to us as Oni and Hughes unless they break the rotation. I don't see Quin lengthening the rotation.
I’d be curious what Jabari would look like with Clarkson’s green light.

I don't see Oni or Hughes breaking the rotation on any other NBA teams either so it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Don’t see us getting rid of Bogie. My guess is we don’t see anything substantial and we will press forward.

FWIW, Rudy Gay has been a bit disappointing as of late. I thought he'd go off for more 20+ pt games. Maybe he's trying to fit in, or maybe he's just old at this point.

What we really need is someone that can defend small quick guards that seem to score on us at will to take some of Royce's minutes on certain nights. Royce is great against bigger wings but man does he have trouble keeping up with quick guards. If Royce is going to play over 30 minutes a night and close every single game regardless then I'm not sure how much good adding a perimeter defender is going to do us. If Royce is out there getting absolutely cooked then there's no reason we can't try a different option. If we add a perimeter defender just to guard bench players then how much good is that really going to do us? It's these starting guards that always kill us.

If Royce is going to play over 30 minutes a night and close every single game regardless then I'm not sure how much good adding a perimeter defender is going to do us.
That's not hard to guess at all. When we had Bricky Ricky, Crowder, DedEx, prime Jingles on the roster in 2018, Royce only played a reserve role and our perimeter D worked just fine.

That's not hard to guess at all. When we had Bricky Ricky, Crowder, DedEx, prime Jingles on the roster in 2018, Royce only played a reserve role and our perimeter D worked just fine.

But what I'm saying is I'm not sure Quin is willing to lessen Royce's minutes at this point or close games with another player over him. We need a perimeter defender to guard starting guards not bench guards and if Quins not willing to do that then what good is it to trade for or sign a perimeter defender?

Last edited: