What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I don’t know that Joe makes a ton of sense to trade based on our cap situation, especially if we have to attach an asset to move him, and especially if he plans to retire after the season.

If we could do Joe for a younger player that’s under contract longer like Richardson straight up, I’d probably do it.

Attaching an asset to move Joe Ingles is really an insult to his legacy.

A few people mentioned Jaylen Brown for some of our pieces and perhaps a pick. If this is even remotely possible we need to donit with no hesitation.

Alright... so I think NO is the most interesting trade partner to help us with three team scenarios. They have a large expiring in Sato but they have a 17M trade exception.

I also think Portland could look to offload Norman Powell to help clear playing time and space to retain Simons. Powell's contract could be fine but it is likely looked at as a risk... he signed for 5 years and 90M.

That said... if we could move JC into the Pelicans trade exception I wonder if Royce and Ingles for Powell and Covington... shifting the JC salary to NO makes it work. We could also do a separate deal where we take back Temple for JC. Portland also may be slightly interested in a Powell for JC swap... if they want to keep RoCo (who has been playing much better). JC for Norman gets them out of the tax and gets them a player more willing to come off the bench.

There is kind of an issue is NO prefers Powell to JC or Ingles. I also wonder what, if anything, we'd have to give to do a straight swap of JC for Powell (again gets them out of the tax this year and a cheaper bench option next year).

There are some possibilities here.

A few people mentioned Jaylen Brown for some of our pieces and perhaps a pick. If this is even remotely possible we need to donit with no hesitation.
If you want to put Donovan in the deal they would do it... otherwise its a really easy no from Boston.

If you want to put Donovan in the deal they would do it... otherwise its a really easy no from Boston.
Boston has already come and said they are building a future around Brown and Tatum. I wouldn't be surprised if they tear it all down around those guys, play some youngsters, and hope to add a 3rd piece.

DM for Brown straight up works. DM is a better player but Jaylen is a better fit for being a two way wing. He'd fit on any team honestly
It works financially, but Brown is a #2 type guy. You could go through the NBA and make a list of players, and put them in certain spots.

Some are #1 options, some #2 options, etc. Like Klay Thompson - excellent #2 option but wouldn't be great as a #1. Much like Pippen back in the day. Just better as a #2. Russell Westbrook is a #1 who doesn't know how to be a #2 or #3.

Tatum is a #1 option. Donovan too. In my opinion, Brown is a top end #2 option. I don't think Brown would take charge and lead like Donovan has in the playoffs. While he is a much better defender, he's more of an all purpose guy to support every aspect of the game while the #1 guy focuses leading the team on offense down the stretch.

Nobody here wants to see it, but Rudy for Brown makes the most sense. Boston and Utah are both more realistic contenders after that deal. Donovan and Rudy don't compliment each other very well at all.

It works financially, but Brown is a #2 type guy. You could go through the NBA and make a list of players, and put them in certain spots.

Some are #1 options, some #2 options, etc. Like Klay Thompson - excellent #2 option but wouldn't be great as a #1. Much like Pippen back in the day. Just better as a #2. Russell Westbrook is a #1 who doesn't know how to be a #2 or #3.

Tatum is a #1 option. Donovan too. In my opinion, Brown is a top end #2 option. I don't think Brown would take charge and lead like Donovan has in the playoffs. While he is a much better defender, he's more of an all purpose guy to support every aspect of the game while the #1 guy focuses leading the team on offense down the stretch.

Nobody here wants to see it, but Rudy for Brown makes the most sense. Boston and Utah are both more realistic contenders after that deal. Donovan and Rudy don't compliment each other very well at all.
A well rounded #2 who can score 24 ppg is better than an offense only #1.

A well rounded #2 who can score 24 ppg is better than an offense only #1.
Oh, you're still talking about the regular season. So cute....

Donovan Mitchell averages 34ppg the last two postseasons. One of which he had to come back from a high ankle sprain early because the incredible Mike Conley and superman Rudy Gobert couldn't lead our #1 seed over #8 seed Memphis at home.

Oh, you're still talking about the regular season. So cute....

Donovan Mitchell averages 34ppg the last two postseasons. One of which he had to come back from a high ankle sprain early because the incredible Mike Conley and superman Rudy Gobert couldn't lead our #1 seed over #8 seed Memphis at home.
What about defense tho?

I'd agree with you if we don't have a small PG already. But having DM next to Conley makes us small and it just doesn't work defensively. If DM's 6'6 or you replace Conley with Lonzo then it's a different story of course......

I may be mistaken, but I thought they had one of the most effective pick n rolls in the nba?

And doesn’t it make sense if you have two one sided players to match them together since their main attributes are in the exact area the other doesn’t have? Obviously, we’d all want two way mega stars but since those are few and far in between and this is the next best option, I feel like based off of what I’m seeing it makes sense.

Lopo saying Rudy and Donovan dont compliment each other is the most galaxy brained **** I've heard in a minute.

They are essentially perfect compliments to each other on the court. It would be better if Donovan was a better interior passer, but it can;t be perfect I guess.

I'd agree with you if we don't have a small PG already. But having DM next to Conley makes us small and it just doesn't work defensively. If DM's 6'6 or you replace Conley with Lonzo then it's a different story of course......
Flipping Conley for Ball would be so huge for us.

Lopo saying Rudy and Donovan dont compliment each other is the most galaxy brained **** I've heard in a minute.

They are essentially perfect compliments to each other on the court. It would be better if Donovan was a better interior passer, but it can;t be perfect I guess.
That is correct and it is why it is dumb to pick one or the other and put them against each other.