What's new

Trade for Ben Simmons

If Jazz want a perimeter defender bring Exum back
His offensive stats are as bad as Simmons but Jazz can sign him for 10% of what Simmons
is getting

The dudes made of glass. He needs to just retire already.

I love Ben Simmons the player but goddamn do I hate his character.

Still, I think he has his convictions about how he should be used and play PG and all but he also hasn't been used correctly. I think Quin can do something there Doc and Brett Brown couldn't do.

Also we could just spam Spain PnR with Simmons as the ball-handler, Gobert as the screener and Bojan as the pindown/shooter. It would be near unstoppable.

Makes more sense if it’s essentially Gobert for Simmons.
If his value has fully tanked like fans are suggesting (I don't think it has but it's definitely not as high as it was) and you could somehow get Ben without trading Gobert then use Gobert as a trade asset to bolster your roster I think it's something that would have to be potentially looked at very closely

If his value has fully tanked like fans are suggesting (I don't think it has but it's definitely not as high as it was) and you could somehow get Ben without trading Gobert then use Gobert as a trade asset to bolster your roster I think it's something that would have to be potentially looked at very closely
If you can, maybe, sure. I think that would be getting kinda cute with it and I don’t think the team needs to be blown up.

At the end of the day, it turns out guarding 5 positions actually is more important in the playoffs. Additionally, spacing is no less important, so having both (at their cap numbers and egos) makes 0 sense.

I’m happy to keep Rudy, but the amount of change and luck that’s going to have to happen to compensate for his fatal weaknesses is hard to imagine suddenly materializing.

I thought the trade was bojan, Clarkson and a pick though.
So bojan being a better true shooter wouldn't apply. He wouldn't be on the jazz anymore.

You would be looking at Simmons, Donovan, Royce, somebody, gobert from what I can gather.

Me no likey

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
I wouldn't trade Bojan as part of that deal. I would offer:

S&T Conley and Clarkson for Simmons

Philly gets an All Star and the 6th Man. Maybe I toss in #30 too.

But that's it. Simmons and Rudy won't work a lot in the playoffs, but we would have more talent with this trade. After this deal, we could look at trading Rudy in October.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

If you can, maybe, sure. I think that would be getting kinda cute with it and I don’t think the team needs to be blown up.

At the end of the day, it turns out guarding 5 positions actually is more important in the playoffs. Additionally, spacing is no less important, so having both (at their cap numbers and egos) makes 0 sense.

I’m happy to keep Rudy, but the amount of change and luck that’s going to have to happen to compensate for his fatal weaknesses is hard to imagine suddenly materializing.
I agree i'm very happy to keep Rudy as well and fully expect him to be on the roster next season barring any major developments but the Jazz need to be smart if they want to overcome his lack of certain abilities. My only worry is they are so asset poor and have no cap space to maneuver it's gonna be extremely difficult.

I was thinking this early … getting him , you’d have to trade Rudy , a third team would be involved

Playing small ball with him as centre , like warriors do with Green .. surround him with 4 shooters , runs the floor and more mobile then Rudy.

I can’t advocate for trading for someone as mentally fragile as Simmons. He has no desire to improve-he’s actually gotten worse on offense since he’s been in the league. The guy passed up an open dunk because he was afraid he’d get fouled and have to shoot a free throw. Sixers fans are ripping him a new one for a good reason.

He is a huge liability in the playoffs. Even worse than Rudy.

People just got done complaining about how you can't win with Rudy in the playoffs and now want a guy even more limited and unplayable in the playoffs.

Hell no. At least teams have to scheme to make Rudy less effective by playing small ball. Rudy is still effective against teams that don't go small.
Simmons is a liability against literally every team and every style. Sag off him and pack the paint. Foul him often as possible.
He has great defense but as I said in another post, there is no such thing as a shutdown peremiter defender in today's nba. The rules and the officiating simply favor the offense too much and offensive players are just too good/skilled.

A defense only perimeter player just isn't that valuable anymore imo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
"Sag off him and pack the paint". Imagine that concept in Quins offense. DM and our outside shooters(if we still have Inlges, Bojan, or Clarkson) would make a living off of that. Teams would not be able to pack the paint and in return Ben could penetrate and get to his spots and dish out assist or get an easy 2.

I can’t advocate for trading for someone as mentally fragile as Simmons. He has no desire to improve-he’s actually gotten worse on offense since he’s been in the league. The guy passed up an open dunk because he was afraid he’d get fouled and have to shoot a free throw. Sixers fans are ripping him a new one for a good reason.

lol look at Embiid's reaction.

Simmons playing the 5 would be pretty crazy with shooters. But yeah the total package of Simmons is just a no no.

Not sure I agree with this. Especially moving forward… teams are going to scheme for threes more and more. Small sample but I think if you replace gobert with Simmons straight up, we would have dominated that clippers series.
No we wouldnt lmao.

Is the Gobert model flawed? Yes.

Can you just replace Gobert with anyone and improve for "Playoff Defense"? No, not even Ben SImmons.

If you want to replace Gobert and go to a more modern switching defense, you have to replace nearly EVERYONE on the Jazz roster. You have to get perimeter defenders who can actually defend so you can execute those schemes. The whole idea behind this season was Gobert could cover for everyone. That worked great in the regular season, and less so in the playoffs. The Jazz dont have to completely abandon that model. They just have to tweak it back to valuing perimeter defenders more.

This whole concept is a head scratcher really, but hypothetically, if we replaced Rudy with Ben, I do think we get better at matching up with a team like the Clippers.

I would have concerns matching up with Milwaukee, the Lakers and Denver though.

Embiid with Simmons was just never going to work. If you put 4 shooters around Embiid, he's damn near unstoppable.