What's new

Trade Proposal: Kanter to LAC

I think that this will be the case. The only teams I could see offering him are Indiana and Detroit if West and Monroe go elsewhere. NY is the dark horse, but Kanter doesn't seem like a Phil Jackson guy... think they are aiming for bigger fish.

As long as Kanter doesn't get hurt next year he will make more money in the 2016 offseason than he can this offseason. When the cap goes up it will open more suitors and drive his price up... Get ready for one more year of the Kanter experiment.
If he does sign the QO, I'd definitely be in favor of then moving him for a pick or making him the 4th big. No reason to develop him for someone else. Commit to a rotation of Gobert and Favors and then give Booker and Kanter 13-15 mins. behind them.

It's good that you think that way, but there are posters like gay fish that said "the only time we had a pick we got this turd" and such. And I don't blame them. Enes did not contribute too much to winning. But then again, who did really? If the best to come out of Enes is a bench big, then he did not fulfil what had been expected of him. Many things that had been said about him is being said no more. Now, he has seen the bottom and some of the fans find new reasons to find more value in him. I myself do not see Enes as a bust. People who knew him always said you have to be patient with him. Maybe the Jazz are out of this patience, I don't know. But I am sure that Enes will figure his game out in less time than he has spent in NBA from now on and become a really solid offensive big that makes his team win games. I feel like Utah had a more legit skilled center to keep at hand for whatever it's worth (Rudy). And I think Enes might use a change of air, since his problem usually appeared to be mental. He is not developing as fast as his collegues at the similar youth level and this probably frustrated him. I don't know what his career path should be to get better at his down sides, but I feel like a trade would help him to grow mentally.
But lately I have listened to some interviews and Enes says "Big three" about him, Rudy and Derrick. Maybe it's a joke but I really liked his attitude making fun of himself playing defense and not going into an ego battle with his rising teammate. Maybe Quin is not acting, he actually has seen Kanter 's attitude and willingness to get better and he wants him. Time will tell.

Great post. Enes is winning over some pretty stubborn people. I'd love to see Kanter become an offense force to game plan around but I'm doubtful enough to give up on the idea. It's just too expensive to have 3 bigs in this league who get paid. Maybe if he takes a couple more steps this year then they can justify it for a couple years before having to pay Rudy too. Rudy will get paid.

I disagree that he's the same player. I've seen some progress defensively (he did a decent job on Cousins) and offensively, he's been asked to extend his range rather than play inside. You are correct; he was Ty's and the media's whipping boy last season. And the two years before that, he'd often get a DNP-CD after a good game. He's the one player that has been jerked around the most since he was drafted.

I've waffled back and forth on Kanter all year. However, the last couple of weeks I've seen enough positive signs to put me firmly in the "re-sign Kanter" camp. Late firsts are really insignificant. Finding another Gobert in the late 20's is like being struck by lightning 2x. Incredibly rare. And, TBH, I'd rather have an early 2nd in a trade since those contracts aren't guaranteed.

Another part of that equation is the increase in the cap. Sorry, but Utah just isn't in the running for a superstar. Enes could be an absolutely dominant 6th man. Besides, we need 3 players in the rotation. Jazz CAN afford Enes, especially in light of the fact they're not going to have to reserve money for Trey. Look at the contracts for back up bigs. Kanter's contract won't be out of line IF we can get him for 4 years under the current cap constraints.

The only way I'd change my mind is IF the Jazz drafted WCS. Then we'd have two legit 5's and Favors would play the 4 for 35 mins/per. In that scenario, Utah would just need another PF for 13-15 mins (either Booker or another comparable player going forward).

I was going off of his stats, which are just about identical, but you're right. He is taking more outside shots which should lower his FG% but hasn't. And he is doing better on defense, and his improved effort is obvious.

The x-factor to me is that he is young and even younger than his age when you factor in the changes he has gone through in life, which have tested his confidence and maturity. This is the guy who had the most points at the Nike Summit since Nowitzki, then was benched for the season at Kentucky because of a ******** NCAA rule. That's gotta be brutal.

I don't buy the Kanter takes the Q/O theory for a second. And after doing a little research I doubt we'd want him to:

- Since 1995 only 17 players (out of over a thousand or so I guess?) have taken the Q/O.
- Only ONE player has taken the Q/O and then re-signed with the team the following year (Spencer Hawes).

And to me this is the kicker:

-If a player accepts the Q/O he then acquires a no-trade clause. This could prevent or greatly diminish Utah's ability to un-load his expiring contract. So they'll spend 5 years developing a player who they then lose for nothing as a UFA.

And yeah we all know about the salary cap going up but it's doubtful that it will go up all at once (I've heard a 45% jump all at once; which is insane). More than likely it will go up gradually over the next 5 years to reflect the new tv contract.

It's probably all academic. Kanter has already proven he can score and his defense has gone from God-Awful to almost average in the last couple months. His defended FG% within 10 feet of the basket is only about percentage point above his opponent's average. Not bad for a 22 year old. And to top it all of he's already blown out his shoulder once. Does he risk doing it again next year without a multi year deal. My guess is he takes the reward over the risk.

I don't buy the Kanter takes the Q/O theory for a second. And after doing a little research I doubt we'd want him to:

- Since 1995 only 17 players (out of over a thousand or so I guess?) have taken the Q/O.
- Only ONE player has taken the Q/O and then re-signed with the team the following year (Spencer Hawes).

And to me this is the kicker:

-If a player accepts the Q/O he then acquires a no-trade clause. This could prevent or greatly diminish Utah's ability to un-load his expiring contract. So they'll spend 5 years developing a player who they then lose for nothing as a UFA.

And yeah we all know about the salary cap going up but it's doubtful that it will go up all at once (I've heard a 45% jump all at once; which is insane). More than likely it will go up gradually over the next 5 years to reflect the new tv contract.

It's probably all academic. Kanter has already proven he can score and his defense has gone from God-Awful to almost average in the last couple months. His defended FG% within 10 feet of the basket is only about percentage point above his opponent's average. Not bad for a 22 year old. And to top it all of he's already blown out his shoulder once. Does he risk doing it again next year without a multi year deal. My guess is he takes the reward over the risk.
1. Kanter taking the QO is terrible for the Jazz, agreed. He'll be worth very little in a trade at that point, especially since his Bird rights will be a lot less valuable with what should be a large jump in the salary cap for the 2016/17 season.

2. That jump in the salary cap for the 2016/17 season could entice some restricted free agents to accept the QO this summer to cash in as unrestricted free agents when more teams have space in 2016. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kanter accepts the QO this summer if he doesn't get an offer for >$10mil/year.