What's new

Trade Rumor From NBADraft.Net Involving Andre Iguodala And The #3 Pick

richgates

I know you have to consider the source, but did anyone read this?

I heard a sports radio host in Philadelphia say that the Sixers were openly discussing trading Andre Iguadola to the Utah Jazz for The # 3 pick in the 2011 draft, he said Jodi Meeks and Spencer Hawes(who would have to agree to a sign and trade) would be involved too, The Sixers would take back Memhet Okur and select another Turkish prospect Enes Kanter to play C...essentially the trade hinges on The Wolves passing on Kanter at 2(they are expected to select Kanter and trade him to Washington for the # 6 pick and Nick Young) The Sixers and Jazz are rumored to be discussing a trade that would send Andre Iguadola, Jodi Meeks and Spencer Hawes to the Jazz for Memhet Okur and The # 3 overall pick...Have any other Sixers/Jazz fans hear about this potential draft day trade...The Jazz still own the 12th pick for the BPA(Jimmer Fredette or Jordan Hamilton) The Sixers own the 16th pick and are supposedly in love with 3 prospects besides Kanter(Tyler Honeycutt and the Morris Twins)...Thoughts guys...

that would suck. But, I can just see this franchise doing something like that since it would likely put us back in the playoffs next year.... we'd be primed for a first or second round exit.... that is, if Iggy's knees held up.

This is a great sign though. If the Sixers are willing to trade up to three and take the dead weight of Okur, then they are surely looking at trading up to the Twolves (who need a 2 guard like Igoudala).

So we would trade our #3 for a SG that can't shoot and is on an albatross contract? Not bloody likely.

It's not a bad deal, but I think acquiring Iggy is much too big a risk. He had an achilles issue this season and has a chronic arthritic condition in his knee. He's been an iron man, but that's kind of the problem. All the signs of a physical breakdown are there.

So we would trade our #3 for a SG that can't shoot and is on an albatross contract? Not bloody likely.
Agree. This is probably what some Sixers fan dreamt up. Iggy's contract is horrible. If they want to get out from under it, it would have to be Iggy PLUS picks coming our way. I don't think Hawes is a big enough prize to make it worthwhile.

The only thing that makes this remotely plausible is KOC has a good relationship with the Philly organization. I just don't see the Millers committing $44M over 3 yrs to a player who struggled with injuries and is probably on the downside of his career. That goes against what a rebuilding franchise should do.

Last edited:
Yeah, Iggy's too old for the Jazz' youth movement. Actually, Spencer Hawes was the most interesting part of the deal to me, but not worth it unless more was added.
The Jazz do have too many PFs so trading Okur makes sense but still...

No thanks. Three thoughts:
-Iguodala is a good player, but he's a #3 guy who's getting paid like someone who should be a primary option (3 yrs, $44 million left). Giving Philly the #3 pick AND Okur's $10.9 expiring for that?
-If the Jazz are that high on Hawes, they could give him an offer sheet since he'll likely be a RFA
-Other than Ronnie Brewer, when was the last time a rumored Jazz trade actually went through? DWill trade, Korver trade, 2005 Draft Trade with Portland - rumors of which weren't leaked beforehand.

Recent stuff on Hawes:
Spencer Hawes: to re-sign or not to re-sign
let's talk about center Spencer Hawes. Will the Sixers re-up his contract? Do they see him as next year's possible starting center? Does the franchise value Hawes?

So no one has to go elsewhere to look up Hawes' numbers, we'll lay them out right here. Hawes was acquired via last summer's trade with the Sacramento Kings. The Sixers shipped center Samuel Dalembert to Sacramento in exchange for Hawes and forward Andres Nocioni. Hawes just turned 23 years old. He's a 7-1 center, 245 pounds. He played three seasons for the Kings before being traded, so he just completed his first season with the Sixers and fourth overall in the NBA. He has career averages of 8.4 points and 5.6 rebounds a game. During the 2010-11 season, Hawes started 81 of the 81 games in which he played, finishing the season with averages of 7.2 points and 5.7 rebounds in 21.2 minutes a game. In the playoffs, Hawes averaged 5.2 points and 3.8 rebounds a game, with his minutes dropping to 19.6 a game.

If you're thinking to yourself: wow, those look like the numbers of a very competent backup center. It's probably because Hawes would be a very competent backup center. During the playoff series against the Miami Heat, especially in the Game 5 loss in Miami, Hawes made some amazing hi-low bounce passes and backdoor bounce passes for easy scores. He does some very nice things with his passing, but for what the Sixers need, that's like having a cleanup hitter who can really lay down a nice bunt. It's a helpful attribute, but if that cleanup hitter doesn't also hit home runs and accumulate RBIs -- in the basketball world, we'll say we mean block shots, grab rebounds, and provide an intense interior presence -- then it's really just an extraneous skill. But as a backup? Hawes' game is looking a lot nicer, almost ideal for what the Sixers would need in that spot.

Hawes' rookie contract "ended" after the 2010-11 season, with the Sixers paying him approximately $3.0 million for last year's services. The team can make him a qualifying offer of about $4.0 million to retain him for the 2011-12 season. And I'd be genuinely surprised if that doesn't happen.

Let's be clear: it's my understanding that the Sixers recognize that Hawes isn't the answer as the starting center alongside Elton Brand. But, having the luxury of a backup center at Hawes' size and ability is a darn nice thing. And for the price of $4.0 million, not ridiculous at all. In addition, after having watched Hawes around this team all season, he enjoys playing for Doug Collins and enjoys playing for the Sixers, and buys into what's happening here.

Seems we're back to exactly where we started with last week's posts about potential big men: Hawes isn't the answer to that question because the team needs someone who can bang, rebound, and block shots. The Sixers need someone who can complement Brand at power forward and who can do some of the work Brand was forced to do for much of last season. Hawes is a solid piece to an eight-man rotation, and for that reason he'll likely return to the Sixers, but they'll still be mining the draft and testing the trade waters for the answer at starting center.
https://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/Spencer-Hawes-to-re-sign-or-not-to-re-sign.html#ixzz1MdYeRNNl

No, Iggy can't shoot, but he can sure play some lockdown D on 2's and 3's...not that our defense has ever been a problem.