What's new

Trade Rumor From NBADraft.Net Involving Andre Iguodala And The #3 Pick

I'll again reiterate that this is BS. You don't make large decisions like this on the off-chance that a month later you'll be able to negotiate with these RFAs to get the ball rolling on the deal. The two sides can agree, but if the FAs don't agree, then no dice, and they certainly are forbidden from even discussing the issue with them at the time you'd have to make decisions for this deal. If we do draft Kanter then yes we can hold onto him and keep the options open later when negotiations begin with FAs, but to make the decision solely on that is asinine.

Have you seen Iggy's contract?

Have you seen his age?

You are a Jazz fan, right? So why would we want to give up assets for an aging overpaid vet? If we were maybe the Celtics or Lakers, this might be a good trade since the time to compete for a championship is now.

But we aren't.

We're rebuilding. We should be doing the exact opposite of this trade. Getting younger, gathering assets, shedding salary, and building for the FUTURE.

This. and rep'd

This is going to be fun isn't it? The first of a hundred rumors we will hear over the next month and look how excited everybody got.

No way Jazz should do this - if this is a way to get something for Okur's expiring deal, I say there are better ways to utilize that asset than Iggy. I'm just not a big fan of his current game or contract. It's not even about the #3 pick either, if the Jazz have a chance of netting multiple picks (including 2012 picks) for the 3, I'm on board.

No way Jazz should do this - if this is a way to get something for Okur's expiring deal, I say there are better ways to utilize that asset than Iggy. I'm just not a big fan of his current game or contract. It's not even about the #3 pick either, if the Jazz have a chance of netting multiple picks (including 2012 picks) for the 3, I'm on board.
We aren't trading for any 2012 draft picks in this draft. That's what pretty much every team in the league would like to do...

I think I like Iggy better than many here, but even then I'm not sure about the #3 pick for him, even with the other bench players. The idea of just having growing pains but with 3 top 10 picks sounds better to me.

Agree that Utah has to continue to focus on rebuilding longterm rather than short-term. That said, if it's the type of veteran who can help you win and also provide leadership for your young nucleus (i.e. Sac signing Vlade Divac in '99), I'd be fine with making a move. I want a young core to build around - not an entirely young team. But I agree, I don't think Iggy's that player.

This. I wouln't be surprised to see Utah trade the #3 in a deal for a vet, but not for a contract like that.

We aren't trading for any 2012 draft picks in this draft. That's what pretty much every team in the league would like to do...

Correct. But the Jazz have some talented bigs (plus one more likely one in Kanter) so they can trade one for 80 cents on the dollar plus 2012 draft picks. In order to get 2012 picks they won't be able to trade 2011 picks, but they can trade players like Kanter or Millsap or Jefferson or Okur.

So you use the #3 to help the bench and get a guy with a ton of downside risk (health, declining stats...and COST)? I agree this might be a weak draft but I think you have to at least take a player you HOPE will be a starter. I'd rather have a Kanter, Knight, even Valanciunas - or hope DWill drops to #3 than take an aging vet.

And Dwill, how are figuring "huge" for every other position? Favors and Jefferson are both 6'10." So slighlty above at PF but below at center. And that's IF Favors starts - he won't; Millsap will. Harris is 6'3", not small, but not big either. And he plays "small" relying on quickness instead of posting up. Then you'd have Iggy at 6'6" and Hayward at 6'8." Match Iggy against a SG and Hayward vs. a SF and you have perhaps a slight advantage with Igoudala, but a wash or less with Hayward at SF. Turn that around and you have an advantage at SG, but then Iggy is an undersized SF.

So why won't Favors start? Because Millsap won't 'agree' to come off the bench? I love Millsap, but if that's his attitude, then that's reason enough to trade him. Favors is clearly targeted as one of the cornerstones of this franchise's future. He damned well better start next year.

Honz, who do you have us drafting at 3?
LOL!!!

I think the #3 is 50/50 right now between Kanter and Knight (well, Williams if he falls). Honz really needs to tell us who the Jazz will be drafting at #12. Hayward was not even in the discussion for most of us before Honz kept pimping him. Maybe Hionz has a sleeper in mind this year.

So why won't Favors start? Because Millsap won't 'agree' to come off the bench? I love Millsap, but if that's his attitude, then that's reason enough to trade him. Favors is clearly targeted as one of the cornerstones of this franchise's future. He damned well better start next year.

Favors isn't ready yet. Maybe in a year, Favors would start with Millsap becoming the 6th man. Next season, I think Corbin goes with Millsap as the complement to Al. Paul has decent range and can hit the mid-range with Al working down on the blocks. Millsap is also a good option if Harris drives and has to kick it out for a 12-15 footer.