What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I don't think he finishes his entire career here, but success can change narratives.

Don, Trent Jr, and OG are an amazing trio. Find a PF for those three, and who knows what the ceiling can be if we stay healthy.
That's one of the most mediocre trios in the NBA.

The Kings got a better trio with Barnes/Sabonis/Fox.

I would keep Royce. The more unselfish willing defenders the better. Just imagine how impactful he could be playing 18-20 minutes off the bench instead of 35 as a starter....
Royce value is on a team loaded with playmakers

If the Jazz are going towards a "Donovan does the heavy lifting on playmaking, but we need wings who can take advantage of mismatches" then Royce is a steep overpay.

Also Donovan's BFF on the team

One of the many team building roadblocks Donovan presents if you want to keep Donnie happy and not requesting a trade to a bigger market
I might do it as a test if I were Ainge... been saying that for a while. Donovan says "I'm good here" then you trade Royce and see if his tone changes.

Jazz hosted a free agent mini camp with a lot of names I like.

The biggest one to me was Aaron Henry.
It was a great list for a FA minicamp. I would basically guarantee one guy gets a deal next year... either a Henry type or a Tyler Johnson vet type.

Yeah, we don't want that though. You want to stealth trade Mitchell, not have him force his way out.
Either way is fine. I think sometimes when guys are open the negotiations open up and you can sometimes get the bidding higher. If he only had a year left on his deal I'd worry more about him directing his way to a certain team. It sounds as though even Donovan is like "eff the Knicks". If he were to say he'd put them on the list I think they could offer everything in the cupboard. They ain't getting Brunson and are not known for their patience. They will do something stupid very soon.

Henry basically a Royce clone at this point. Same size similar athleticism levels. He put up solid GLeague stats. It's a shock to me that Philly didn't keep him in their system.
Those types have a high hit rate... well higher than normal.

To feasibly do the Rudy to Toronto deal it either has to be OG, Precious, Flynn, Birch, Banton, Svi... so a 1 for 6 trade (which is pretty wild and does create a lot of tax savings for us if we kept all of those guys). Or the other construction would be Rudy and Royce for OG, Trent, Birch, Precious, and Flynn... a 2 for 5 deal seems more feasible?

I just don't think there is a good match there and Toronto should probably move OG in a different deal and create more value... they have wanted a center for a long time though according to Jake Fisher.

I wouldn't quote say that. I think the margins of what makes a Royce type successful vs unsuccessful are very thin. A lot of them fail simply because they can't hit their wide open 3's (Royce's best skill)
I think a lot just never get a chance or a long enough chance. Royce for instance shot 39% on threes pre-all star his first season here. He shot 28% post all-star break his first year. If those percentages get reversed I am not sure he gets enough time to prove himself.

Its still not good odds... but I think you have a better shot with those player types... they are still likely to fail but need to put them in real games long enough to see if they stick. Like I am not sure what happens to DFS if he lands in another spot that didn't believe in him as much as Dallas. He might be in Europe.

I'd still try to pick up Cam Reddish from the Knicks. They don't play him and he's coming up on a contract year. He's a multi-positional defender if he keeps his head in the game.

View: https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/1531660480267182082

Here is the mini camp list. Some guys I like here...

- Henry -discussed already
- Silva- is likely a backup big... had some good minutes with the Heat in the past.
- Alize Johnson is a wonky player but might just be a weirdo small ball 5 in a way. The rebounding is so great that I think he's worth some playing time to see if he figures out other stuff. Just a tough gritty player. Like maybe he's small Jared Vanderbilt... but he might eventually be like a 35% three point shooter... its weird he never shoots them in the nba.
- Louis King has been super interesting to me. Had a run of 5-6 games for the Kings a couple years ago at the end of the season that was pretty fun. He got a ton of steals and played a little crazy but just looks like he's shot out of a cannon. Had a great summer league and then last season couldn't make shots in G league and didn't get much run with the Kings. He'd likely give Quin an aneurism but I think he's a high reward guy if he figures stuff out.
- Wes Iwundu seems like he should have figured it out by now but he's the right size I guess.
- Sirvydis has good G league numbers and is young... idk.
- Johnson and Crabbe likely make a roster somewhere during the season.

I think a lot just never get a chance or a long enough chance. Royce for instance shot 39% on threes pre-all star his first season here. He shot 28% post all-star break his first year. If those percentages get reversed I am not sure he gets enough time to prove himself.

Its still not good odds... but I think you have a better shot with those player types... they are still likely to fail but need to put them in real games long enough to see if they stick. Like I am not sure what happens to DFS if he lands in another spot that didn't believe in him as much as Dallas. He might be in Europe.
Yeah, the margins are thin. Some dudes just can't take the pressure of fighting for a roster spot by making shots.

Miye Oni should be a better basketball player than Royce, but he just isn't. It's weird.

Another thread overtaken by negative posters who can't see any potential success with Donovan Mitchell because they are too attached to flawed system built around Rudy Gobert.

When, not if, but when we trade Rudy, we will change how we play. We'll start playing more like the teams that survived this year deep into the playoffs. Teams that prioritize roster flexibility, multiple scorers and shooters all over the floor for many of the minutes of the game.

Have faith people. There's no reason to go scorched earth.

Is there some record of Mitchell hating the Nets?

I mean, I get that the Knick were the NY team when he was growing up, but there's another team he might go to, and it seems to me he's a better fit in Brooklyn.

Another thread overtaken by negative posters who can't see any potential success with Donovan Mitchell because they are too attached to flawed system built around Rudy Gobert.

When, not if, but when we trade Rudy, we will change how we play. We'll start playing more like the teams that survived this year deep into the playoffs. Teams that prioritize roster flexibility, multiple scorers and shooters all over the floor for many of the minutes of the game.

Have faith people. There's no reason to go scorched earth.
Roster flexibility and Donovan Mitchell are oxymorons.