What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I think the idea of Vando is better than the reality of Vando. He gets lost on his defensive assignment a lot. He is not even close to an efficient scorer. Many people confuse activity with effectiveness, and Vando is a prime example of that. He is fine to hold onto, but if you can get prime assets for him, cashing in on that perception of Vando as an energy/hustle guy that does the "little things", then you take it and run.

This. I call this the Jae Crowder effect.

I don’t really understand the Sexton hate… the Jazz seem to flow better when he is on the court, and he makes fewer mental errors than JC, THT or NAW. He does seem to be on an extremely short leash though.

Agreed. Dude looks amazing to me. Especially for someone so young in a new system coming off major injury in an inconsistent role and minute rotation.

He has been fantastic all things considered.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I ****ing love Sexton. He really doesn’t do a ton to hurt us when he’s on the floor. He’s so efficient scoring the ball it’s crazy. His energy is infectious. I think he could be our PG of the future.

Can someone help me understand why we want to trade Vando? He’s young, on the right timeline, is long, is athletic, and is a tough guy that does the little things. Unless someone is willing to overpay for him, I wouldn’t want him to be included in a deal.

I totally get wanting to move Beasley, Conley, KO, etc.
I suppose some folks here want to trade him because they think Vando does not fit with Kessler as neither of them are good shooters (and therefore also don’t space the floor). So they think Vando is redundant when Kessler is our center going forward. But I personally wouldn’t trade Vando before seeing more of him next season. As you said, he’s young, and if he improves his shooting (even just has fairly efficient 3-point corner shot), he can be a good player for us down the road. We know his hustle and offensive rebounding, but he is also a good passer, which I really like. And there’s nothing wrong him coming off the bench as a role player if we get another forward to start with Lauri and Kessler.

Last edited:
I suppose some folks here want to trade him because they think Vando does not fit with Kessler as neither of them are good shooters (and therefore also don’t space the floor). So they think Vando is redundant when Kessler is our center going forward. But I personally wouldn’t trade Vando before seeing more of him next season. As you said, he’s young, and if he improves his shooting (even just has fairly efficient 3-point corner shot), he can be a good player for us down the road. We know his hustle and offensive rebounding, but he is also a good passer, which I really like. And there’s nothing wrong him coming off the bench as a role player if we add another player to start with Lauri and Kessler.
The passing is the reason to keep him. It is not normal for a player if his ilk generally speaking. I think the passing makes him valuable to contenders and they are calling, if he is actually dealt is another thing all together. I bet if he is it aint for draft picks

Is Kennard going to be another matchup problem on the defensive side and he is going to get played off the court?

First of all, some here want to trade everyone who can bring back a FRP... except maybe Markkanen and Kessler who are the consensus "building blocks" (I guess Ochai doesnt give back enough to justify giving his recently flashed upside away). Part of it is to stack assets part of it is to outright tank our record this year.

I think most in here dont want to trade Vando for just a future FRP (myself included).. but would be willing to include him in a package. Personally the biggest reason I would move on from him is that he and Kessler together destroy our spacing. Neither one draws attention on the perimeter, so when they are on together the paint will be crowded and help defense against Lauri and JC is easy to find.

There are some who are absolutely against trading him as well. @Thee Idiotic Minivan K has been most vocal and I think @fishonjazz is also opposed to trading him unless the price is very high.
Ya, Vando is probably my favorite player on the team. i get that he has major weaknesses though so I understand trading him but it better be for something good.

Is Kennard going to be another matchup problem on the defensive side and he is going to get played off the court?
If we flip Beasley somewhere and replace him with Kennard there will be no difference on defense. Luke is bad there... so is Malik... not sure we realize how bad he is there just yet but in the playoffs I think he'd get flamed.

Look if you can get a real first (not one of those top 27 protected firsts that turns into a second round pick) for any of:

- Mike
- Vando
- Beasley
- KO
- Maybe even Sexton - I love him but I get the roster fit potential issues that can come with a player like him... I'd want a good first for him and don't really think that is out there right now so I'm not super serious on this one.

then you do it.. as long as the contracts you take back aren't too bad.

Like say NY would do Beasley for Fournier and one of the firsts they own... sure... I do that.

Indiana wants to give us the Boston first they own this year for Vando.... Done!

Mike to LA for some combo of Kennard/Covington/Wall and a first... then Mountain Mike becomes Hollywood Mike.

The value in picks is easier to use in a trade to acquire real long-term pieces that fit. It provides more ammo that is easier to transfer. Get more ammo if you can... even if you already have a **** ton of it.

I'm probably not trading JC for a first unless it is the for the Lakers firsts unprotected. He is worth more than a first and I'm willing to roll the dice in FA even if he walks.

JC has made vast improvements.

I know DLo had that one good year in Brooklyn. Maybe it's just me but overall he still looks about the same as he was in LA (and w/ the Warriors).
He'd be ok as an expiring to get off some future salary but he's not a guy I'd want on my team long term. The Wolves are going nowhere with him as their primary PG.
We’re not the team that’s going to resign him at 30 million I know that much. Still, his stats aren’t that bad and to my eyes he’s actually less erratic than Ant. That being said, I see Sexton as our primary point guard next season.

This is a good point. Even with Lauri out and Beasley bricking everything we have been scoring decently. Hardy seems like a legit top offensive mind who just needs guys who can make shots on decent level.

I think we should evaluate players defense first at this point. I feel like Kessler + Lauri combo locks down the paint well enough and its likely only gonna get better with Kessler being a rookie.. but our perimeter, transition and 1on1 defense needs a lot more juice.

Also Kessler and Lauri on the court together the numbers look nice.
438 minutes
ORtg 114.9 DRtg 106.4
DREB% 72.7 TREB% 53.8

We’re not the team that’s going to resign him at 30 million I know that much. Still, his stats aren’t that bad and to my eyes he’s actually less erratic than Ant. That being said, I see Sexton as our primary point guard next season.
Yeah there is no reason to make the Wolves better by subtraction in a draft where WE own their unprotected first.

I'm probably not trading JC for a first unless it is the for the Lakers firsts unprotected. He is worth more than a first and I'm willing to roll the dice in FA even if he walks.
do you think he will walk? I think leaving is a lock, so trading him is a given and Miami is the destination with the Dipo + pick return Danny would accept

Yeah there is no reason to make the Wolves better by subtraction in a draft where WE own their unprotected first.
I catch your drift but in a situation where there’s about 1/3 of a season left with the learning curve involved, it’s well worth the risk imo. I don’t know who people think D’Lo is but he’s a former All Star on a max deal currently and not the biggest problem in Minny.

I catch your drift but in a situation where there’s about 1/3 of a season left with the learning curve involved, it’s well worth the risk imo. I don’t know who people think D’Lo is but he’s a former All Star on a max deal currently and not the biggest problem in Minny.
Well if the interest is to try to bring him here and let him loose I would expect it would kind of take away from others currently more important to this rosters plans unless of course he is just taking the JC roll and he was traded somewhere else. Either way the only way I agree to trade Mike to them for Dlo, is if we fully expect Mike to be unreliable for them due to injuries all season.