What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
The media isnt doing that much heavy lifting for the Jazz.

It's just reality most likely. The new owner doesnt want to tank. He doesnt want to seem uncool by trading away one of the leading scorers in the NBA. Ryan Smith is a ****ing dweeb and he's acting like one. I'm not surprised. And no one is going to give up the farm for Gobert. Anyone who wants Gobert wants him because they think he will be cheaper relative to his impact level than trading for other high level players.

The Jazz *can* make a WCF as constructed with tweaks IMO. It will be hard and they will have to peak at the exact right moment/be healthy/get other breaks, but it's not like it's impossible at all.
The perception that Ryan got the team and ran it immediately into the ground would be too much for him to take.

KqWIN

The perception that Ryan got the team and ran it immediately into the ground would be too much for him to take.

Checkett's did an interview, and while he's wishy washy as a source I believe him on some things. He echoed the statement that Ryan will do anything to please Don, and that if it still fails Ryan wants to be able to say "we did all we could". That is....we did all we could to keep Don but not all we could to win. It's more important to Ryan that he comes off as cool than it is to win and Don is the popular kid that he so desperately wants to be friends with. It's a nasty combo because Mitchell himself prefers to look cool than win. I don't think anyone respected the immediacy of the situation and differed to their own personal motives.

People thought I was being a loony when I had concerns about Ryan Smith buying the team and possibly moving it, and maybe I was, but I never expected the Millers to sell and they did. If Ryan sold the team after it went sour I would not be surprised. Ryan moving the team never concerned me, it's the person/group who he'd sell it to. Like you said, I don't think Ryan has the stomach to be a loser. He won't be able to take the public shame like Vivek does and would probably rather sell.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Checkett's did an interview, and while he's wishy washy as a source I believe him on some things. He echoed the statement that Ryan will do anything to please Don, and that if it still fails Ryan wants to be able to say "we did all we could". That is....we did all we could to keep Don but not all we could to win. It's more important to Ryan that he comes off as cool than it is to win and Don is the popular kid that he so desperately wants to be friends with. It's a nasty combo because Mitchell himself prefers to look cool than win. I don't think anyone respected the immediacy of the situation and differed to their own personal motives.

People thought I was being a loony when I had concerns about Ryan Smith buying the team and possibly moving it, and maybe I was, but I never expected the Millers to sell and they did. If Ryan sold the team after it went sour I would not be surprised. Ryan moving the team never concerned me, it's the person/group who he'd sell it to. Like you said, I don't think Ryan has the stomach to be a loser. He won't be able to take the public shame like Vivek does and would probably rather sell.
I don't think he sells... he would become a loser and a quitter. If they team got moved he immediately becomes enemy #1 in Utah. Ryan would likely stick it out... just like he is sticking it out with the backwards hat and hoodie look... it will come back.

Its all fair criticism though. Donovan going for the cool highlight play this year a few times instead of just finishing was a pet peeve and a symptom of what ails us.

I'm hoping Danny can figure it out and talk some sense into him but good GMs aren't always just focused on winning... they are generally focused on executing the strategy the boss wants. If that is keeping Donovan then that is the lens he views moves from... if the boss wants to win then he makes winning move.

KqWIN

I don't think he sells... he would become a loser and a quitter. If they team got moved he immediately becomes enemy #1 in Utah. Ryan would likely stick it out... just like he is sticking it out with the backwards hat and hoodie look... it will come back.

Its all fair criticism though. Donovan going for the cool highlight play this year a few times instead of just finishing was a pet peeve and a symptom of what ails us.

I'm hoping Danny can figure it out and talk some sense into him but good GMs aren't always just focused on winning... they are generally focused on executing the strategy the boss wants. If that is keeping Donovan then that is the lens he views moves from... if the boss wants to win then he makes winning move.

Danny has been known to be a fierce competitor, but everything else about it just seems off. His reputation has a harsh negotiator seems to be a negative these days instead of a positive....he is only doing this part time, and it's unclear who makes the decisions....he got hired because he's Ryan's personal friend.

The current Jazz brain trust makes me queasy, and while we can bicker back and forth about what direction we would personally like to go, I don't have any faith in them executing any plan. That includes the likely, corroborated by several media sources, plan of appeasing Don as much as possible.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Danny has been known to be a fierce competitor, but everything else about it just seems off. His reputation has a harsh negotiator seems to be a negative these days instead of a positive....he is only doing this part time, and it's unclear who makes the decisions....he got hired because he's Ryan's personal friend.

The current Jazz brain trust makes me queasy, and while we can bicker back and forth about what direction we would personally like to go, I don't have any faith in them executing any plan. That includes the likely, corroborated by several media sources, plan of appeasing Don as much as possible.
The Donovan and friends era will be a disaster.

KqWIN

The Donovan and friends era will be a disaster.

Unfortunately I think you're right. In a perfect world where we could make decisions freely, I still prefer to keep building around Don+Rudy and trying to win while we can. But I will admit that the further we're removed from the "appease Don" plan the better, and that might have involve a trade before more damage is done. It's too bad that Don and Friends is going to be the path forward.

mdalby

I stopped listening to the Locked on Jazz podcast. Locke spins numbers to try to validate something that we with our own eyes see in the games is not true.

Spin

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
Mitchell and Banchero could be a winning combo, but I don't see how we get Banchero without trading Mitchell. Heck, we might not get Banchero even if we do trade Mitchell.

This assumes that both players eventually play average defense and are surrounded by long, athletic 3D players.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I stopped listening to the Locked on Jazz podcast. Locke spins numbers to try to validate something that we with our own eyes see in the games is not true.

Spin
Its getting harder and harder. He does spin a lot of things and he does push a team narrative that he doesn't actually believe. The thing I find hardest to listen to is Locke's worship of Quin. Quin can do no wrong in his eyes and to suggest such is crazy town and you are a moron.

He's in a spot where honesty doesn't pay... if he was as direct and honest as Andy Larsen he'd have been let go.