What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

On the radio today Tony Jones said there's a chance the Jazz keep their top 7 guys, make moves around the margins and hope that hiring a new coach will inject some energy in the roster. I've got a really bad feeling this is exactly what's going to happen.
This is one reason why the Jazz organization has never won a championship, baking the cake too long while other teams improve is a sure way to just be good but not great. As a fan this is disheartening and frustrating, teams should always try to improve. Holding onto guys too long leads to them having no value or walking away and getting nothing i.e. Milsap, Hayward. If this is true, I am going to be so disappointed and will not be as engaged with the team. I hope Tony is wrong. I cannot take having the same team next year.

On the radio today Tony Jones said there's a chance the Jazz keep their top 7 guys, make moves around the margins and hope that hiring a new coach will inject some energy into the roster. I've got a really bad feeling this is exactly what's going to happen.
They will still declare victory and state this was the plan all along… and lolz at anyone that suggests otherwise.

This is one reason why the Jazz organization has never won a championship, baking the cake too long while other teams improve is a sure way to just be good but not great. As a fan this is disheartening and frustrating, teams should always try to improve. Holding onto guys too long leads to them having no value or walking away and getting nothing i.e. Milsap, Hayward. If this is true, I am going to be so disappointed and will not be as engaged with the team. I hope Tony is wrong. I cannot take having the same team next year.
This is a little overstated. It’s not like teams just willy-nilly add players and overhaul their teams like it’s a yearly practice. Then there’s the fact it’s hard to recruit players to Utah. DWill tried, and Mitchell tried. And how often do you see a team do an overhaul, and it brings success over a 3-4 year period. Success usually comes through the draft, and that hasn’t gone well since the 2016 draft, not to mention all the draft capital we’ve given up trying to get a pg.

Again, I think that has to be posturing. Jazz have to make changes at the wing positions, at a minimum. Conley and Bogdanovic are likely trade candidates if they're generating interest. There are also at least three teams that are likely making offers on Gobert, and probably there will be another one or two in the next two weeks.

Teams won't make their final offers on Jazz players too soon, a) because they haven't finalized their plans, and b) because the Jazz could use their trade offers to drive up the market. Everything should come together during the week of the draft.
I really don’t think it’s “posturing” it’s much more likely to be that they e kicked the tires on trades and the return is not great. Takes two to tango.

Move Conley and Royce and we could be good to go. We would need another PG, though. Someone like Caruso would be ideal but obviously not happening.

If Jazz want to keep Michell/Gobert..the real question, what does a Conley, bogey, Clarkson, Royce trade look like?

Could we trade;
Conley to the knicks for Raddish/Fournier(goberts best friend)
Bogey to Atlanta for Collins?
Conley to Washington for Rui/kcp
Bogey to Chicago for ball?
Conley to Chicago for white/Caruso

What kind of value do you think they have?

Sean Deveney of Heavy.com spoke to an anonymous Western Conference general manager who pitched the Lakers putting a package together for Utah Jazz forward Bojan Bogdanovic.

“They are giving off signals that they’re not going to go full rebuild, for now at least,” the general manager said. “That is probably just posturing, though, because you know something has got to change. I think you can get (Bojan) Bogdanovic at a good price really, he is 33, heading into the last year of his deal. And he is a reliable scorer, not a great defender but he can give you points. If I am the Lakers, that is a guy you’ve got to at least bid on. It is going to cost you that THT and Kendrick Nunn package plus a future pick, there is no other way to get him. They need guys who can stretch the floor, and he does that.”

Sean Deveney of Heavy.com spoke to an anonymous Western Conference general manager who pitched the Lakers putting a package together for Utah Jazz forward Bojan Bogdanovic.

“They are giving off signals that they’re not going to go full rebuild, for now at least,” the general manager said. “That is probably just posturing, though, because you know something has got to change. I think you can get (Bojan) Bogdanovic at a good price really, he is 33, heading into the last year of his deal. And he is a reliable scorer, not a great defender but he can give you points. If I am the Lakers, that is a guy you’ve got to at least bid on. It is going to cost you that THT and Kendrick Nunn package plus a future pick, there is no other way to get him. They need guys who can stretch the floor, and he does that.”
THT mostly sucks but maybe he can figure out how to shoot enough. He got way overhyped but could be better outside of LA. Could play point guard (kinda) next to Donovan. If Nunn is healthy he’s a good bench gunner. He’s really quick… was a crappy deal for both LA and him. Both guys are but low types but they may just suck.

The key is the pick. They should not give up unprotected future picks at this point unless it’s to get off Westbrook… but that’s what I’d want and that’s a deal I’d do. I also don’t believe we figure it out so this is a good rebuild trade… if management can sell it as a win now move then awesome.

Conleys trade value is the big thing imo. I can see a team paying the price for the regular season Mike… I can also see someone devaluing him based on his playoff series. If the return is KCP and Ish plus a couple seconds it’s not ideal. I might try and move JC instead and have Mike come off the bench. If he plays well it may make teams forget about the playoffs.

I don’t see us returning our whole top 7 or whatever… someone gets moved.

Most likely to be on the roster next year (of the rotation players):

Donovan
Royce
Gobert
JC
Bogey (mostly because I think his value is pretty dang good)
Mike
Gay

THT mostly sucks but maybe he can figure out how to shoot enough. He got way overhyped but could be better outside of LA. Could play point guard (kinda) next to Donovan. If Nunn is healthy he’s a good bench gunner. He’s really quick… was a crappy deal for both LA and him. Both guys are but low types but they may just suck.

The key is the pick. They should not give up unprotected future picks at this point unless it’s to get off Westbrook… but that’s what I’d want and that’s a deal I’d do. I also don’t believe we figure it out so this is a good rebuild trade… if management can sell it as a win now move then awesome.
This deal would also save us like 5M. We will absolutely be cutting salary in deals this summer. We are like 6M-8M over the tax… it’s going to be a like 40M savings between salary and the league distribution… I know we don’t care about Ryan’s money but it will absolutely factor into their planning this summer. So when you hear about the Jazz having the taxpayer MLE just disregard it… cuz we ain’t using that unless we cut like 15M in salary.

If Jazz want to keep Michell/Gobert..the real question, what does a Conley, bogey, Clarkson, Royce trade look like?

Could we trade;

I would trad Mike for any of those packages. The trade to NY Washington makes us bigger immediately by shifting Mitchell to the point which is what TJ and Locke both seem to think is happening anyway while giving us a young prospect. The trade to Chicago gives us two big guards, one of which is still young too. Bogey for ball may work but I think Atlanta can do better for Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

This is a little overstated. It’s not like teams just willy-nilly add players and overhaul their teams like it’s a yearly practice. Then there’s the fact it’s hard to recruit players to Utah. DWill tried, and Mitchell tried. And how often do you see a team do an overhaul, and it brings success over a 3-4 year period. Success usually comes through the draft, and that hasn’t gone well since the 2016 draft, not to mention all the draft capital we’ve given up trying to get a pg.
Yes, giving away draft picks away like they are candy is also part of the problem. Whether they are successful or not isn't the point. I believe that taking a conservative side and holding onto players too long is the problem. Drafting poorly certainly has been a problem. Re-signing and overpaying for players is another problem. Staying the same is not acknowledging you have a problem. I am no expert but I see the flaws this team has and nothing has been done to address them. Free agency is a problem for many teams not just Utah. Jazz where able to sign Bogie who was a desired FA. I agree historically this has been a problem but for this reason the Draft is even more important. Giving away picks when has hurt this team and is a reason why we have no young players depth.

Whether an organization wants to or not they have to evaluate their team's flaws, ignoring them leads to being mediocre and eventually a franchise will have to rebuild due to not address these needs. Just think if the Jazz had not pursued Conely and drafted Bane instead of Udoka. Jazz could have had both Rudy and Giannis but they traded two first for Trey Burke. So when you cannot get free agents, you better hold onto your picks and win more than you lose. After the Denver series it was obvious that Utah needed more size and athletes at the SF/SG position and now today we are still thinking about not making major changes. Sorry but to me this is the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing expecting different results.

Last edited:

Could we trade;

I think there are guys that the Jazz can get if they trade their secondary level guys like Bogie, Conley or Royce. Not a big fan of Reddish but Fournier can replace Bogie's shooting. Bogey for Collins would be great but Jazz would need to get rid of some salary. Ball is being reported as damaged goods. If he is healthy then I would do that trade. I just would like if the Jazz are going to trade Bogie they get a first back. Dude averages 18 points a game and is capable of 30 point games still. You have to trade him because if not he walks away and the Jazz get nothing. His situation is how you rebuild for the future.

There is zero chance I would trade Bogey for THT/Nunn and a future 1st (which is like 5 years out, btw).

I would try to include Bogdanovic in a trade package with Atlanta and see if we can secure Jalen Johnson and/or #16.

There is zero chance I would trade Bogey for THT/Nunn and a future 1st (which is like 5 years out, btw).

I would try to include Bogdanovic in a trade package with Atlanta and see if we can secure Jalen Johnson and/or #16.
A pick 5 years out and unprotected is quite valuable. We have done little draft prep and have been working on finding a new head coach. I’m not sure we are looking to acquire a first this year tbh.

A pick 5 years out and unprotected is quite valuable. We have done little draft prep and have been working on finding a new head coach. I’m not sure we are looking to acquire a first this year tbh.

If anything we’d use the pick we got this year and immediately trade it somewhere else for win now pieces.