What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

He counts as 50% outgoing salary but 100% incoming salary in a trade. You can trade for up to 125% of the salary you send out.

For example at 25M:

It counts as 12.5M outgoing salary from Phoenix in a trade and 25M incoming for us.

For a straight Bogey swap half of Ayton’s salary would have to be equal to or more than $14,507,250.

The minimum first year of salary for Ayton for a straight Bogey swap is $29,014,500M. I’m fairly certain we’d have to add about 2M of salary outgoing to a third team or something though because our side doesn’t match up.
Thanks for breaking it down.

Let's just say we make it Beasley instead of Bojan.

Beasley makes $15.5 next year. What does that mean for returning Ayton? $26 million year 1?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Vanderbilt was a good addition and is a sneaky asset we can use in a deal... functional rotation player on a small deal. If we did want Collins for example I could see Bogey and Vanderbilt being enough to entice them. I'm not sure Vandy will be awesome as a center unless we add some bigger wings.

Danny has just done and awesome job so far. We now have so many contracts and players we can use to sell off, reconfigure, make trades work.
After watching his defensive highlights, I would rather keep him. Dude plays hard with energy and can defend multiple positions.

I think I'm like most here when I say that, if we are going to trade Donovan and tank, I don't like the idea of getting involved with the Miami's or Toronto's of the world. Obviously, if we're tanking and trading Donovan, the biggest assets we'd be getting would be unprotected first round picks. Both teams seem like they'll be solid for the foreseeable future - especially Miami. I could see Toronto having some mediocre years, but with Masai running things, I just can't see them being a bottom 8 team in the league. So, teams I'd want to target would be the following:

PHX - seems like a realistic possibility given the rumors of us being involved already. Plus, that team was a mess before CP3 came along, and he and Durant (he'd most likely be involved in the trade) probably have a handful of years left, and their ownership situation is a ****show.
WAS - just signed Beal, and I could see them doubling down by springing for Donovan. Give me 3 first rounders and two pick swaps, and a couple players, and I'd probably do it. I'm kind of surprised WAS hasn't been talked about more, as this one makes a lot of sense.
ORL - They have some good, solid, young players. I could see them being patient, but if they wanted to "move-up" their timeline I wouldn't mind taking a couple of their young guys, plus 3 first rounders and a swap.
NYK - Toppin + Reddish + filler + 5 picks probably gets this done.

Any others that should be added to this list? Again, looking at realistic teams that could provide a haul of picks that would have a realistic chance having value.

Thanks for breaking it down.

Let's just say we make it Beasley instead of Bojan.

Beasley makes $15.5 next year. What does that mean for returning Ayton? $26 million year 1?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

We’d have to send extra out and if the outgoing player is going to a 3rd team and not Phoenix it wouldn’t matter anyways.

It lowers to like top 8 by 2026 and then it turns into nothing. Personally if you tank the next couple years and give up the 12th or 13th pick in 2025 or 2026 then it means your young talent has you pointed in the right direction and you are fine. If we end up sucking in 25-26 we can easily do the shut it down tank move to end up under the protections.

The 2023 draft is setting up to be a good one... I want a high pick this year.
How insane is it that Lindsey didn't demand that the pick stay lottery protected. He was such a horrible negotiator. There is no way that the thunder turn it down if we hold firm on that. I don't think I will ever get past my anger for Lindsey. He managed to turn what should have been a 7 year championship window into no window at all with horrible trades, signings and draft picks. He could teach a how to class on how to destroy a teams hopes.

It gets complex but there is enough wiggle to make it work... I think Conley to Brooklyn and a pick from us and we take Ayton and I think there is enough other salary going back and forth it all gets deluded. If it happened that would be my guess.

Conley and a pick would be perfect.

How insane is it that Lindsey didn't demand that the pick stay lottery protected. He was such a horrible negotiator. There is no way that the thunder turn it down if we hold firm on that. I don't think I will ever get past my anger for Lindsey. He managed to turn what should have been a 7 year championship window into no window at all with horrible trades, signings and draft picks. He could teach a how to class on how to destroy a teams hopes.
That was JZ. I put that one on ownership... they said reduce salary and that is how it got done.

I just don’t see that but by the amount of people agreeing with you I must be in the minority.

If adding Collins/Ayton leaves us outside of the playoffs still then we are going to need 4-5 years of tanking maybe more. Our next 3 picks we can only hope to be as good as those three.

I honestly believe that. I can slightly understand why people want to keep Donovan and "retool" rather than rebuild, because they are scared of the unknown. But, I strongly feel that we are delaying the inevitable and will end up at a rebuild anyway without any "real" success and no assets to show for it. I think the odds definitely favor that ideology. People's response is that we can trade Donovan at the trade deadline or before the next draft if it isn't working, but if we do that then we probably have more wins and a worse off draft spot then if we just cut the cord now.

I have mentioned this before but my favorite game last year was one where most of our stars were out and our young guys were playing. They played really hard and it got me really excited. Butler lead the team in scoring and almost everyone played meaningful minutes. https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360870. I love watching young players play and grow. This is how I felt with Donovan up until a certain point. I was for a tank before last season, because I knew we were dysfunctional and weren't going to get better. It is only going to get worse with a retool and I will put money on it.

Also, I think the Gobert/Mitchell thing has gotten way out of hand. However, I think there are a lot less Gobert lovers and Mitchell haters than you realize. I think most people want the tank if they are not "pro" Mitchell. The pro Gobert crowd (myself included) tends to not like the posts/posters rather than not liking Mitchell. Even Cy doesn't hate Mitchell and is more of a troll/ antagonizer, with Mitchell posts. Most of those people are as happy as the pro Mitchell people to have traded Gobert. They just want to trade Mitchell too.

On a slightly other note. As for Young Jefe, I can't speak for everyone, but race has nothing to do with Mitchell dislike. I am as liberal as they come and actually fully support Donovan's social beliefs. Not that it matters but I have Black Lives Matter sign in my yard right now and believe in CRT. Young Jefe's comment was just a dumb immature thing to say, especially since Gobert is also black.

Where did you see this?
I think I found it:
Sean Wright @SeanWrightNBA · Jul 1
The #Bucks have checked in with the #Jazz on the availability of Bojan Bogdanovic following todays moves.

No offers were made from either side, but the #Bucks are moving on with the assumption Bojan will be on the move.

But I've never heard of this guy either.

Last edited:
Reminder that we also have the TPE from trading Royce. It can be used to take back salary in a trade without matching it with outgoing salary.

I honestly believe that. I can slightly understand why people want to keep Donovan and "retool" rather than rebuild, because they are scared of the unknown. But, I strongly feel that we are delaying the inevitable and will end up at a rebuild anyway without any "real" success and no assets to show for it. I think the odds definitely favor that ideology. People's response is that we can trade Donovan at the trade deadline or before the next draft if it isn't working, but if we do that then we probably have more wins and a worse off draft spot then if we just cut the cord now.

I have mentioned this before but my favorite game last year was one where most of our stars were out and our young guys were playing. They played really hard and it got me really excited. Butler lead the team in scoring and almost everyone played meaningful minutes. https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360870. I love watching young players play and grow. This is how I felt with Donovan up until a certain point. I was for a tank before last season, because I knew we were dysfunctional and weren't going to get better. It is only going to get worse with a retool and I will put money on it.

Also, I think the Gobert/Mitchell thing has gotten way out of hand. However, I think there are a lot less Gobert lovers and Mitchell haters than you realize. I think most people want the tank if they are not "pro" Mitchell. The pro Gobert crowd (myself included) tends to not like the posts/posters rather than not liking Mitchell. Even Cy doesn't hate Mitchell and is more of a troll/ antagonizer, with Mitchell posts. Most of those people are as happy as the pro Mitchell people to have traded Gobert. They just want to trade Mitchell too.

On a slightly other note. As for Young Jefe, I can't speak for everyone, but race has nothing to do with Mitchell dislike. I am as liberal as they come and actually fully support Donovan's social beliefs. Not that it matters but I have Black Lives Matter sign in my yard right now and believe in CRT. Young Jefe's comment was just a dumb immature thing to say, especially since Gobert is also black.

Trust me I understand it from both sides. I think part of me really doesn’t want to sit through and endure another rebuild. I like being good and being in the playoffs.

There are a lot of people genuinely do not like Mitchell though and people have openly admitted it.

Young Jefe is like 15 so take what he says with a grain of salt.

I debate this a lot with friends outside this board but when Zion is back where would you place the Pels? For me its still likely a play in team, or if not, just barely so. Then, would you rather have Zion, Ingram and CJ or Don, Collins and Ayton?

I dont think its a slam dunk either way but proves the point i think. Neither are going to be a juggernaut in a very deep west with so many teams previously mentioned getting dudes back this season.

Jazz could now be behind Portland with Jerami Grant and Jusuf Nurkic, imo, assuming Lillard is healthy. They're Lillard / Simons / Hart / Grant / Nurk.

I think I found it:
Sean Wright @SeanWrightNBA · Jul 1
The #Bucks have checked in with the #Jazz on the availability of Bojan Bogdanovic following todays moves.

No offers were made from either side, but the #Bucks are moving on with the assumption Bojan will be on the move.
Not sure what he means by "moving on".

After watching his defensive highlights, I would rather keep him. Dude plays hard with energy and can defend multiple positions.

He rebounds the ball as aggressively as any player at his position. There's value in that. He's a constant threat on the offensive glass. That's kind of his thing.

To me, it's starting to feel less likely that the Jazz move Mitchell to BRK. Someone would need to take Ben Simmons, and the market for Simmons has to be very soft. BRK would need to be willing to sell low on him. It won't be until the fall that Simmons can show he can play.

I’m still hoping there’s a John Collins trade lined up. Rather have him than Ayton. He can be a 20/10 guy shooting 40% from 3. He was also born in Utah and is a friend of Don’s (though we just got rid of all the others), which may be conducive to team attitude/culture.

I’m still hoping there’s a John Collins trade lined up. Rather have him than Ayton. He can be a 20/10 guy shooting 40% from 3. He was also born in Utah and is a friend of Don’s (though we just got rid of all the others), which may be conducive to team attitude/culture.

Ayton is better than Collins but we can get both.