What's new

Trey Burke and Detroit

I don't think Nelson can handle being traded 4 times in a year, probably pulls a Larry Sanders.

I think Jameer getting to play for his old coach and be in position to get into the playoffs (even as a 7th or 8th seed) would soften the blow of being traded again. It might also make him a trivia answer for being traded most times in one season.

SVG doesn't strike me as the type that would be influenced by Trey's "home town hero" attribute.

Plus I like Trey as PG with the second unit.

Augustin, who is a very similar player to Burke, drops 35 and 8 tonight. I'm sure the Pistons aren't looking to trade for Burke, who is just a less developed version of Augustin with a slightly higher ceiling.

Jennings has tore his achilles and will probably be out 9 months. Realistically achilles are 2 year injuries. Beyond that Jennings only has next year on his contract and becomes unrestricted. So there is "the need" for a PG in Detroit. They were battling for the 8th playoff spot, and can't get much of a good draft pick at this point. There is also the Michigan angle to sell tickets.

Really? They`re currently slotted at 10th with a massive two more wins than Orlando @5. For Burke the minimum protection they`d agree to is lottery IMO - they would be crazy to offer anything else.

I could absolutely see this happening. SVG is coach and GM... He doesn't necessarily care about future picks.

The will do something... Not sure how aggressive they will be though. Do they go for a short term fix like prigioni or does trey have enough value now and long term for them to give up the first round pick. I would do it even if it was top 3 protected.

There is no way in hell Utah gets a first round pick from Detroit for trey. Just not happening.

Am I the only one in here who thinks Burke is and has always been totally into playing for the Pistons? If Detroit are as willing as Burke, Jazz can get whatever the hell they want in exchange. But I wouldn't let Burke go. Push him some more towards passing to see if he transforms. He is a true gem.

There is no way in hell Utah gets a first round pick from Detroit for trey. Just not happening.

Not saying its likely, but it could happen. Thad Young was traded for a first round pick this offseason... and the team that acquired him has coach/GM situation.

If I was the GM of the Pistons I wouldn't do it, but the coach wants to make the playoffs. They will likely acquire a short term fix like Prigioni or Jordan Farmar, but the Trey idea isn't crazy. If we sent Trey and our second round pick (we wouldn't really want to add 3 rookies in one year) for their lotto protected pick is that value completely out of whack?

Even if some on here think it is dumb I'm cool with that. Many of you jumped all over me when I was saying the Jazz needed to match Hayward's offer sheet and defended the Jazz after they did it...

Not saying its likely, but it could happen. Thad Young was traded for a first round pick this offseason... and the team that acquired him has coach/GM situation.

Thad Young is three times the player Burke is and it's not as if this was the T'Wolves 1st involved in the trade. It was Heat's and it is top 10 protected. The only 1st we'd get for Burke would be from someone like the Clips who need a good backup point and depth to make a run and also don't mind losing such a late pick in doing so.

Suggesting we'd get the Pistons 1st though and that SVG doesn't care about his picks (maybe the most laughable thing I've ever read on this board) as you originally did was beyond ludicrous.

Hope that cleared things up for you as you seem to be struggling here.

Thad Young is three times the player Burke is and it's not as if this was the T'Wolves 1st involved in the trade. It was Heat's and it is top 10 protected. The only 1st we'd get for Burke would be from someone like the Clips who need a good backup point and depth to make a run and also don't mind losing such a late pick in doing so.

Suggesting we'd get the Pistons 1st though and that SVG doesn't care about his picks (maybe the most laughable thing I've ever read on this board) as you originally did was beyond ludicrous.

Hope that cleared things up for you as you seem to be struggling here.

I probably shouldn't have said that he didn't care about picks... was on the phone and trying to be brief... I wanted to suggest that he didn't care about picks as much as winning now because he is both coach and GM.

I'd say saying Thad Young is 3x the player Trey is might be more ridiculous than SVG doesn't care about future picks... He certainly wouldn't have 3x the trade value. Thad makes about $10M this year and Trey's contract he makes $10M over the next 3 years. Thad has put up okay numbers on ****ty teams and is a tweener.

Coaches don't feel like rookies contribute much to winning. Look at other player coaches and the moves they make. I'm not going to list it out for you because maybe you should do some introspection yourself. They make short sighted moves all of the time, which is a valid/important point when talking about Trey and Detroit.

I probably shouldn't have said that he didn't care about picks... was on the phone and trying to be brief... I wanted to suggest that he didn't care about picks as much as winning now because he is both coach and GM.

I'd say saying Thad Young is 3x the player Trey is might be more ridiculous than SVG doesn't care about future picks... He certainly wouldn't have 3x the trade value. Thad makes about $10M this year and Trey's contract he makes $10M over the next 3 years. Thad has put up okay numbers on ****ty teams and is a tweener.

Coaches don't feel like rookies contribute much to winning. Look at other player coaches and the moves they make. I'm not going to list it out for you because maybe you should do some introspection yourself. They make short sighted moves all of the time, which is a valid/important point when talking about Trey and Detroit.

So Van Gundy and the Pistons would give up an easy top 10 pick (maybe top 5) in a really good draft for maybe thee worst point guard in the league who's been relegated to coming off the bench behind a 19 year old rookie who hadn't even played one truly game for over a year up until this past October? All so that he, Burke, can come off the bench again behind D.J. Augustin?

Got it. Makes complete sense.

So Van Gundy and the Pistons would give up an easy top 10 pick (maybe top 5) in a really good draft for maybe thee worst point guard in the league who's been relegated to coming off the bench behind a 19 year old rookie who hadn't even played one truly game for over a year up until this past October? All so that he, Burke, can come off the bench again behind D.J. Augustin?

Got it. Makes complete sense.

1- Detroit has a 50/50 shot at the playoffs, so its not an easy top 10 pick and very very unlikely to be a top 5 pick. I also never said they wouldn't put protections on the pick... it would likely be a lotto protected pick. So we'd either get the #15 pick or it would be pushed down the road.
2- Trey is not thee worst point guard in the league. He wasn't benched because the 19 year old was setting the world on fire... it was to get a scorer in the second unit.
3- I don't know that you can rely on DJ to play 48 minutes man... they will need a backup and might see value in having Trey for the future, since Jennings won't likely be back next year in his current form. They currently have no backup and don't have a PGOTF.

Trey isn't great I get it, but he is still developing. He has enough value to get a late pick (according to you), so it is not absurd (or the most laughable thing ever posted) to think he might be able to get a mid first rounder from a team that becomes somewhat desperate.

I probably wouldn't do it if I was the Pistons, but they will do something... it is one of the options they have and I can see why they'd consider it.

Am I the only one in here who thinks Burke is and has always been totally into playing for the Pistons? If Detroit are as willing as Burke, Jazz can get whatever the hell they want in exchange. But I wouldn't let Burke go. Push him some more towards passing to see if he transforms. He is a true gem.
Are you trolling addy?

I'd do Trey for DET '15 draft pick - top 3 protected.

I think that's a fair trade all round.

Really? They`re currently slotted at 10th with a massive two more wins than Orlando @5. For Burke the minimum protection they`d agree to is lottery IMO - they would be crazy to offer anything else.

Stranger things have happened, but their team is still much better than Philly, Boston, Indiana, and NY. They could realistically aim to the #8 pick, and draft another beast like Kentavius Caldwell Pope :)

Since this is a thread about trading away Jazz pgs to teams in need....I read that Kemba is considering season ending knee surgery.

They have Brian Roberts and Janero Pargo, who is also injured, as back-ups.

I'd offer Burke to an Eastern team that's top 8 protected this year and top 5 next year, but that's it. In a reserve role, he's actually been decent and he's an aggressive scorer. I just don't think that anybody is going to give up that much to get him. While he's been supplanted by Exum, he's also been a decent scorer off the bench. I could see someone still seeing value in him. Otherwise, that rookie contract is too valuable, and I have faith in Quin Snyder to get the best he can out of Burke. While I've been very happy with how the past few games have gone, I can still see Burke, Kanter and draft picks getting packaged into a blockbuster deal before the deadline. . . but those are few and far between to be made.

I'd offer Burke to an Eastern team that's top 8 protected this year and top 5 next year, but that's it. In a reserve role, he's actually been decent and he's an aggressive scorer. I just don't think that anybody is going to give up that much to get him. While he's been supplanted by Exum, he's also been a decent scorer off the bench. I could see someone still seeing value in him. Otherwise, that rookie contract is too valuable, and I have faith in Quin Snyder to get the best he can out of Burke. While I've been very happy with how the past few games have gone, I can still see Burke, Kanter and draft picks getting packaged into a blockbuster deal before the deadline. . . but those are few and far between to be made.

You have any ideas whom the Jazz would go after in such a blockbuster deal?