What's new

Trey Burke and his shooting (and the Jazz winning)

orangello

Is it too much?

Game 1 vs Houston (L)
Trey 6-16 (most shots taken on the team)

Game 2 vs Dallas (L)
Trey 6-15 (most shots taken on the team)

Game 3 vs Phoenix (W)
Trey 3-12 (3rd most shots taken on the team)

Game 4 vs LA Clippers (L)
Trey 1-5 (T-6th most shots taken on the team)

Game 5 vs Cleveland (W)
Trey 2-6 (T-6th most shots taken on the team)

Game 6 vs Dallas (L)
Trey 4-12 (most shots taken on the team)

Game 7 vs Detroit (W)
Trey 2-8 (4th most shots taken on the team)

Game 8 vs Indiana (L)
Trey 2-12 (4th most shots taken on the team)

Game 9 vs Atlanta (L)
Trey 5-16 (T-2nd most shots taken on the team)

Game 10 vs New York (W)
Trey 5-9 (T-3rd most shots taken on the team, he did hit the game winner)

Game 11 vs Toronto (L)
Trey 4-15 (most shots taken on the team)

Game 12 vs Oklahoma City (W)
Trey 7-17 (most shots taken on the team)

Game 13 vs Golden State (L)
Trey 1-8 (5th most shots taken on the team)

Game 14 vs New Orleans (L)
Trey 8-12 (T-2nd most shots taken on the team)

Game 15 vs Chicago (L)
Trey 8-14 (2nd most shots taken on the team)

So the Jazz record when Trey takes the most shots is 1-4
Jazz record when Trey takes 2nd most shots is 0-3
Jazz record when Trey takes 3rd most shots is 1-1
Jazz record when Trey takes 4th most shots is 1-1
Jazz record when Trey takes 5th most shots is 0-1
Jazz record when Trey takes 6th most shots is 1-1

Jazz record when Trey shoots 15+ shots 1-4
Jazz record when Trey shoots 10-14 shots 1-4
Jazz record when Trey shoots 5-9 shots 3-2

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorry I've always wanted to do that. No in reality I'm not a big fan of having our PG lead so many games in FGA. But wait till he fixes his shot selection

I'm okay if Trey shoots a lot if he is attacking the rim, usually when he attacks the rim he can make other things happen and help set up the other guys on our team. When he shoots a jumper I usually cringe. However I'm pretty sure he can fix his jumpshot, he was pretty solid in college wasn't he?

Good post. Pretty obvious the Jazz are better when Trey plays POINT guard and concentrates on distributing the ball instead of SHOOTING guard. Now some of that could very well correlate to his terrible percentage. For example, if he went 8-15, maybe putting up that many shots would be ok.

I don't know if he takes too many shots - he takes too many jumpers.

I'm loving him attacking the rim - good things usually happen.

I don't think it's as simple as shoot less. It all depends on what teams are giving the Jazz on defense. You want Trey making the right basketball decision not counting his shots. But it's pretty basic if a player is shooting sub 35% and that player is taking the most shots it's not a good thing. He has to make shots not necessarily take less.

Traditionally I agree PG's shouldn't lead the team in shoots for a season, but some games will call for Burke to lead the team in attempts. Especially a team like this when all the starters get hot and cold and all the starters can give the team something offensively. So the shot attempts are usually are spread out.

Last edited:
I don't know if he takes too many shots - he takes too many jumpers.

I'm loving him attacking the rim - good things usually happen.

... even if he just commits to attacking somewhere from the free-throw line down, I'd be happier. It's when the jazz complacently stop their advancement at the three point line that things tend to stagnate.

The Jazz lost many games because of Trey Burke´s shooting. He is shooting on a low percentage and he is shooting way to much.

It's not just FGA's that are troublesome. It is his FGA's coupled with his lack of FTA's. When Trey is shooting, those posessions are incredibly inefficient. If Alec takes 17 shots in a game, he's probably going to the line 10-12 times that game.

We just need him to take 1 shot a game (only at the end of a close game). If he did that, he'd probably be shooting 80% from the field.

The Jazz play at a different level when Burke is hitting his shots. His attempts have been fine. Be patient, more times than not he has been playing the right way.

The Jazz play at a different level when Burke is hitting his shots. His attempts have been fine. Be patient, more times than not he has been playing the right way.
Didn't someone post the stats though showing that when burke isn't taking shots we are winning?

Kind of contradicts your post it seems

How much is Burke to blame, and how much is Quin's system to blame? If he has Alec Burks automatically passing the ball at 18 seconds in the shot clock "just because", the implied statement is - you're not a worthy option. When other options fail, the ball ends up back in Burke's hands late in the shot clock. From what I've seen, Burke does his best to run a late pick and pop/roll with Kanter or Favors, he doesn't force shots.

The real question is whether these shots are coming out of the offense, or whether Burke is breaking the offense to take them. If we are really interested in development more than winning, we want him to take the right shots, even if he is having trouble making them right now.

Trey is short, not that fast, not that quick, but he makes up for shooting a lot and missing a lot. I don't think he will ever shoot over 40% from the field in his career. We need to look for a new PG.

I think these stats show Trey, for the most part, is not helping us win games no mater how many shots he takes right now.