What's new

Trey Burke is 2nd in scoring among sophomores

Not all that impressive for either of you since all of the women are from Provo...

"Moving down to Provo, gonna get me a lot of fat chicks... Millions of fat chicks, fat chicks for me..."

wtf? You rarely see fat girls in provo. There are so many hot girls there. I moved to San Diego from Provo, and San Diego girls are really bad.

Have you ever been to Provo?

Girls all over Utah are way hot.
Mormon chicks don't be drinking and smoking and alot of them don't eat out as often..... lots of hot chicks at byu...... pureness too (virgin factor)

Good call spy

As much as he has seemed to improve some in recent weeks, we really need to take a step back and see.

1) More shot attempts than points is historically awful especially when you take as many shots as he does despite being a point guard
2) He's an awful defender

So what's to like? He knows how to run a team? But does he really? He takes sooooo many shots.

On the Jazz right now, Hayward runs the offense, and when he's on the bench, Joe Ingles runs it.

He has good Assists/TO ratio. Probably the most important stat for a PG. He is an ok passer I guess? Scoring and defense is really important too and he needs to improve that as well.

That's because he gives it up to Hayward to create, and sits outside waiting for someone to kick out to him so he can shoot. If you count all his missed shots that the Jazz don't recover as turnovers, then his ratio isn't so good.

Yeah because they can create better than our "point guard." That's how pathetically bad Burke is.

I know I haven't seen many games this season but this is one thing that stands out among all the games I have been able to watch. Everyone has their ups and downs but Burke is consistently bad at doing point guard things. He drives to the basket ignoring open team mates on the wings, he takes ill-advised jumpers with plenty of time left on the clock, and it seems he likes to spot up and jack up shots more than actually run the offense.

Also, another point of consistency is Gobert's motor. That kid just goes, regardless of situation, who he is facing, whether he comes off the bench or starts. I wish everyone played like he does. In the games I have seen he rarely is out of the play and never takes plays off. Fun to watch for sure. And wow is he long. Not sure which game it was but it was awesome to see him take one step to cross the entire key at an angle to block a dunk from behind. Go go Gobert arms!

I know I haven't seen many games this season but this is one thing that stands out among all the games I have been able to watch. Everyone has their ups and downs but Burke is consistently bad at doing point guard things. He drives to the basket ignoring open team mates on the wings, he takes ill-advised jumpers with plenty of time left on the clock, and it seems he likes to spot up and jack up shots more than actually run the offense.

Also, another point of consistency is Gobert's motor. That kid just goes, regardless of situation, who he is facing, whether he comes off the bench or starts. I wish everyone played like he does. In the games I have seen he rarely is out of the play and never takes plays off. Fun to watch for sure. And wow is he long. Not sure which game it was but it was awesome to see him take one step to cross the entire key at an angle to block a dunk from behind. Go go Gobert arms!
Pretty good assessment on both players.

I don't think trey is quite as bad as he is made out to be, but he definitely is not good. He well make an ok back up imo

I don't think trey is quite as bad as he is made out to be, but he definitely is not good. He well make an ok back up imo

I have criticized Trey quite a bit and doubt he is our long term PG. That said, it occurred to me last night that actually he might be the best PG we have had since DWill? Am I wrong about that? Of course, it has been a very sad set of PGs we have seen since then.

and he's never going to lead a winning team the way he plays and with his physical limitations unfortunately. As an example his lack of basic understanding of when to pass on a fast break is staggeringly bad for a 1

Curious to how many Jazz games you catch down under mate to be able to make this "example"

I agree. He is playing more as a combo guard at this point. Pair him with future 6th MOY Burks and you could have something pretty solid off the bench. The Burkeseses.

This feels like a good time to bump my posts from last season preaching cautiousness when people were pointing to Trey's lack of turnovers last season and predicting great things.

The complaints about Burke are sometimes weird because the vary. You are and some other say he's bad at running the team others say it's one of the few things he's been good at.

I for one think people lack perspective and patients when they want to be right. Burke has not been stellar however he's playing the most difficult position at a time when PG may be the deepest with talent it's ever been. I know a lot of people question his decision making and rightfully so. However in college he was one of the best decision maker I'd watch. It's hard for me to believe that his decision making has just fallen off. Maybe he continues to adjust to the speed of the game. We see plenty of really good players now struggle there first few season finding how to use their gifts. Trey is just half way through his 2nd NBA season and people are dogging him like he's a 6 or 7 year pro. You have guys like Mike Conley and Kyle Lowry how it took a minute to figure the game out. It's clear Burke has a place in this league. He's shown more than enough flashes to warrant far more optimism than what he's getting in this forum. But don't let me stop the illogical hating on a player because for some reason he's become the "bad guy"

The only real issue i see with Burke is he will go 1-8 and by the time he gets hot the game is over but his large amount of missed FG are costly early.
He ends up with respectful numbers by the end but it is too late.
He still needs to develop a better defensive game but that it is improving and that will come with experience.