What's new

Trump has been removed from the Colorado ballot (but not really)

Al-O-Meter

The Colorado State Supreme Court ruled to have Trump's name removed from the ballot, but in tiny print they added that if Trump even asks the US Supreme Court to look at the issue then Trump's name is immediately reinstated. It is a big virtue signal but it could mark the beginning of a new era where every future election will go through court challenges to remove candidates. Welcome to clown world.

The Colorado State Supreme Court ruled to have Trump's name removed from the ballot, but in tiny print they added that if Trump even asks the US Supreme Court to look at the issue then Trump's name is immediately reinstated. It is a big virtue signal but it could mark the beginning of a new era where every future election will go through court challenges to remove candidates. Welcome to clown world.

No! Future candidates have nothing to fear.

It's like saying that because a person facing several very substantial and legitimate accusations of rape isn't allowed to be on the college football team means that no one will ever be able to be on the football team without risk of being removed for any reason that anyone can ever imagine. That's not what's going on.

But yeah, this ruling has no teeth. So even with the fear mongering by Trump sympathizers there is really nothing to see here. Even for anti-Trumpers, there is nothing to see here.

If you don’t want to be left off the ballot because you incited an insurrection then I have a very simple solution for you! In fact, all prior presidents have somehow found this solution except for Trump. Weird!

Isn’t it amazing how this cult wants to change our entire system by abandoning all of our laws and common sense all for their freakishly dumb cult leader?

I’m begging the trumpers on this site to please abandon their media silos and find better more balanced media diets. And please actually talk to normal Americans in person. You could benefit a lot by leaving the internet for a few mins and interacting with normal real Americans.

lol if anyone thinks this doesn't set a precedent that other states / governments won't follow they're on drugs. The bloke is a pig, he might've done whatever i don't really know the details. But as yet he hasn't been convicted of anything so this is in the realm of interpretation whether you like it or not. Good luck, your country is ****ed in so many ways.

lol if anyone thinks this doesn't set a precedent that other states / governments won't follow they're on drugs.

I hope and pray that it sets a precedent.

I would love it if anyone, democrat or Republican or independent or whatever, who does what trump did is never allowed to be president again.
I didn't like what happened on January 6th. I didn't like the actions and behavior that was on display by the losing candidate in the last election.
I prefer that nothing like that ever happens again. If it does happen again then I hope that person is never allowed to run again.
Would be awesome if this sets a precedent and all the other states follow suit.

Sadly I'm pretty certain that this ruling won't make a difference. Hell, it will probably just make Trump supporters support him more than they already do unfortunately.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I hope and pray that it sets a precedent.

I would love it if anyone, democrat or Republican or independent or whatever, who does what trump did is never allowed to be president again.
I didn't like what happened on January 6th. I didn't like the actions and behavior that was on display by the losing candidate in the last election.
I prefer that nothing like that ever happens again. If it does happen again then I hope that person is never allowed to run again.
Would be awesome if this sets a precedent and all the other states follow suit.

Sadly I'm pretty certain that this ruling won't make a difference. Hell, it will probably just make Trump supporters support him more than they already do unfortunately.

If Trump is found guilty under either count under 18 U.S.C. section 1512, he should be ineligible to hold office. If elected and found guilty, he should be removed from the presidency. Accusations are not guilt. While I think there is a very good chance he will be convicted, until that happens he should not be barred from running.

I'm so tired of Trump and the divisiveness he has pushed in this country, but we still need to follow procedural due process.

Like gay marriage, we as a society should not leave this up to the courts to decide. We need to use our voices and votes. I'm still stunned that so many people still want to vote for this dolt.

If Trump is found guilty under either count under 18 U.S.C. section 1512, he should be ineligible to hold office. If elected and found guilty, he should be removed from the presidency. Accusations are not guilt. While I think there is a very good chance he will be convicted, until that happens he should not be barred from running.

I'm so tired of Trump and the divisiveness he has pushed in this country, but we still need to follow procedural due process.

Like gay marriage, we as a society should not leave this up to the courts to decide. We need to use our voices and votes. I'm still stunned that so many people still want to vote for this dolt.
That's fair
Funny thing is that due to the electoral college in my state they might as well remove Bidens name from the ballot. People who vote for Biden (or any democrat) in Utah get exactly zero votes counted toward the presidential election.

Same with most states. You could remove one of the candidates from the ballot in the majority of states and have no effect on the outcome of the election.

People think that removing trump from Colorado ballot means that the voters votes/voices don't count. But they already don't count. The system is literally set up to make millions of votes not count.

That's fair
Funny thing is that due to the electoral college in my state they might as well remove Bidens name from the ballot. People who vote for Biden (or any democrat) in Utah get exactly zero votes counted toward the presidential election.

Same with most states. You could remove one of the candidates from the ballot in the majority of states and have no effect on the outcome of the election.

People think that removing trump from Colorado ballot means that the voters votes/voices don't count. But they already don't count. The system is literally set up to make millions of votes not count.

As I am sure you know, the electoral college was designed and implemented to ensure that the larger states would not control all the voting. Many states would not have joined to create the country without this.

Otherwise California and NY would largely decide every election on their own. As it stands now, states are better represented.

While I think there is a very good chance he will be convicted, until that happens he should not be barred from running.
While I think SCOTUS will overturn this decision based on other issues, the 14th Amendment does not require a conviction.

While I think SCOTUS will overturn this decision based on other issues, the 14th Amendment does not require a conviction.
It does not need to because the 5th Amendment does. What a scary proposition that accusations alone could lead to ineligibility.

The 5th Amendment is about criminal penalties, not ineligibility for for office, to my limited understanding
The 5th amendment applies to civil and criminal proceedings, despite what you see on Law and Order.

Per section 5 of the 14th Amendment, Congress is authorized to adopt appropriate legislation to enforce the 14th. Since they did not do that, you should look to the rest of the Constitution as other states have done to date in refusing to remove him from the ballot before a final adjudication or legislation from Congress, rather than come up with new law as to how to interpret this as the CO Supreme Court did.

I worry that this will cause more people to vote for Trump. I disagree with a lot of his policy, but can't say I hated everything he did as President. There are a number of things he did I agree with, but the way he went about everything, and the divisiveness it wrought was simply unacceptable. This country is currently in a fragile state politically, and Trumpism only exacerbates it.

the 14th Amendment does not require a conviction.
It also doesn't define 'insurrection'. The Colorado State Supreme Court has just set the precedent that a court can take it upon themselves to define and declare guilt to trigger a 14th Amendment ineligibility. They have also put the US Supreme Court in a difficult position in that they are going to have to decide to overturn this ruling unanimously. If the US Supreme Court does a 6-3 ideological split on this decision and Trump wins the general election then it is civil war because the lefties will never accept Trump as the legitimate president.

It also doesn't define 'insurrection'. The Colorado State Supreme Court has just set the precedent that a court can take it upon themselves to define and declare guilt to trigger a 14th Amendment ineligibility. They have also put the US Supreme Court in a difficult position in that they are going to have to decide to overturn this ruling unanimously. If the US Supreme Court does a 6-3 ideological split on this decision and Trump wins the general election then it is civil war because the lefties will never accept Trump as the legitimate president.
I disagree. Just like 2016, people will be rightfully upset, even extraordinarily upset, but the vast majority of Democrats and people who vote for Democrats will accept the results of the election.

As I am sure you know, the electoral college was designed and implemented to ensure that the larger states would not control all the voting. Many states would not have joined to create the country without this.

Otherwise California and NY would largely decide every election on their own. As it stands now, states are better represented.
There are a lot of conservatives in CA and NY who have no voice. Those two states don’t vote the same way. Why not let people decide?

As it stands now, we let 3-5 swing determine every election.

Why not get rid of that and just move to a popular vote election? Let every voice count. Imagine how much better the GOP platform and candidates would be if they were forced to try and win the popular vote! Trump wouldn’t even be an option because he’s so unpopular and extreme.

I disagree. The results of all the voters across the country would control the voting.

All Californians don't vote one way. All new Yorkers don't vote one way. Both of those states, and all states, are full of individual people with their own thoughts and opinions.

The way it works right now the candidate I like might win and might lose. But either way I can rest assured that my vote didn't matter.

That's dumb.

You probably think that California is a blue state. What if we decided to use the popular vote instead of the electoral college and suddenly a **** ton of Republicans who live in California came out and voted who never voted on the past because they knew it was pointless. Wouldn't that be cool. More people taking part on the voting! That's a good thing!

Also, you say California and New York (and Texas and Florida who also have huge populations) would control the vote. Will guess what? Right now a tiny amount of swing states control the vote. So this already happens anyway.

What if we still did electoral votes but instead of all 53 of Californias electoral votes going to Biden they break it down by the actual votes on the state? Like 35 of the electrical votes go to Biden but since there are Republican voters in California then 18 go to trump (based off the actual voting of course)