What's new

Trump Shutdown

The Thriller

How long does Donald keep the government shut down for until he caves to the democrats? Clearly we need CHIP to be funded and for the Dreamers to have a resolution that results in them being provided a realistic pathway to citizenship. But why is the damn wall still a thing? Mexico has said that they won’t pay for it. Yet Donald and the gop want to raise money for it? Shouldn’t the wall be DOA since Mexico won’t pay for it? Or are trumpers seriously fine pissing billions of dollars away on some goofy fence/wall?

I'm taking a page from last night's SNL skit "Does It Really Matter Anymore?"

except for missing my husband's paycheck, I'd say no.

I'm taking a page from last night's SNL skit "Does It Really Matter Anymore?"

except for missing my husband's paycheck, I'd say no.

That was a pretty good skit.
Btw, I thought Jessica chastain was amazing. She played every role perfectly. Might be the best acting I have ever seen on snl.
She never had to look off set to find a cue card for lines or anything.... it seemed like she had all her lines memorized. She killed it.

CHIP is included in the budget deal. A 6 year extension.

The Ds are refusing to vote for this over DACA.

**** DC. The Rs and Ds. They are both willing to screw over peoples lives for this ****. No reason to hurt anyone. Assholes the lot of them.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions directly impacted by this. I blame all of them equally.

**** DC. The Rs and Ds. They are both willing to screw over peoples lives for this ****. No reason to hurt anyone. Assholes the lot of them.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions directly impacted by this. I blame all of them equally.

Why are you angry at democrats if you support DACA and don’t want to hurt people?

The leader of the gop killed DACA and seems to be caving to his white supremacist base where hundreds of thousands of Dreamers will be deported. If democrats don’t hold out then CHIP won’t be funded and nearly one million people will be deported

Last edited:
The problem is that democrats are trying to negotiate with a president who has no idea what his policy positions are. Trump said he would sign whatever bipartisan agreement was brought to him, then he torpedoed that agreement at the ******** meeting. Then when Schumer brought him a deal with funding for the stupid *** wall his advisors (Stephen Miller) got in his ear and shot that down too.

Also, funding for CHIP expired ****ing months ago and could have been passed easily at any time if Mcconnell and Paul would have allowed a vote. Laying this at the feet of Democrats is a joke IMO.

Right now, this is 100% on the Republicans. They can do whatever they want.

The problem is, like Paul Ryan said, it’s easy to be the party of opposition and just say no. It’s hard to lead.

The republicans have no idea what they are doing. And now, they got what they wanted. They told us for 8+ years, that they had all the answers.

Turns out they are dumber than the democrats and have nothing. All they know how to do is be a victim, throw a fit, say no and throw money at rich people.

Pretty ****** platform if you ask me.

Right now, this is 100% on the Republicans. They can do whatever they want.

The problem is, like Paul Ryan said, it’s easy to be the party of opposition and just say no. It’s hard to lead.

The republicans have no idea what they are doing. And now, they got what they wanted. They told us for 8+ years, that they had all the answers.

Turns out they are dumber than the democrats and have nothing. All they know how to do is be a victim, throw a fit, say no and throw money at rich people.

Pretty ****** platform if you ask me.
Republicans have a majority in the senate, but in order to pass these bills they need 60 votes which means that the democrats can obstruct. Your statement that Republicans can do whatever they want is not correct, nor is it correct that the shutdown is 100% on them. Plenty of blame to go around. Dems definitely earned their fare share.

I mean, Democrats are to blame in that they are willing to fight to prevent nearly a million Americans from being kicked out of their country, something that has near universal support. In a sane world the dream act would have passed ages ago and we wouldn't be in this ridiculous mess.

Is there a way to pass legislation with 51 senate votes even if the minority filibusters?
Yes.

The majority can vote to change the rules so that it only requires a simple majority to pass the budget. It was considered during the shut-down under Obama. It is commonly referred to as the "nuclear option."

The "nuclear option" is feared by both parties. For instance, if the Republicans use it now but Democrats gain majorities in the midterms the democrats can pass whatever budget they like in 2019 with no need to compromise.

The budget should be something 60 senators can get behind, regardless of party.

Is there a way to pass legislation with 51 senate votes even if the minority filibusters?

Well, there's the 'nuclear option' mentioned by Bulletproof.

But if it's a budget resolution it can actually be passed through a bit more complicated manner with the House and the Senate working together, problem is Senate Rs aren't any more interested in working with House Rs than they are with Senate Ds.

Ok we really got to knock off the "both sides are equal" nonsense. Clearly, that is not the case. I'm tired of conservatives (who aren't fond of Trump) on this site unable to call out BS from their party and using false equations instead.

So two things:

• #1 The Senate was always designed to be a slow moving and deliberative body. Compromise has always been the way of the senate. The nuclear option was used by Harry Reid because the GOP made governing impossible. They were not filibustering for legitimate reasons, but to prevent governing in order to hurt President Obama and make him a one term president. The DNC is not doing this to hurt Donald. They are doing this because if they don't, millions of kids will go without health care and one million American educated immigrants will be deported. Cmon folks, learn the issues before commenting further on this!

• #2 Why the hell would anyone want the GOP to win on this? They're clearly in the wrong. Even evil! Unless you're a skinhead, why the hell would you want CHIP to die and for nearly one million American educated but (illegal) immigrants to be deported? These kids were not born here but were brought here under the age of 16. Many of them already have careers here and are contributing to our society. Many do not even speak their native languages since they were brought over so young. Do we understand the cost of rounding up nearly one million people and booting them out?
  • In conclusion, the GOP could have funded CHIP 6 months ago with 100 percent DNC support. They focused on tax cuts for donors instead. The GOP could agree to provide a realistic path to citizenship with the DNC TODAY. Instead, they shut down the government. Early last week there was a bipartisan deal put into place, Donald promised to sign a bipartisan bill two weeks ago in a press conference (he said that he would be fine "taking the heat"). But Donald flip flopped when Stephen Miller and Tom Cotton (two hardliners on immigration) got to him first. That is why he blasted the bipartisan deal with Durbin and Graham presenting and referred to African countries and Haiti as, "******** countries."
For some reason Mitch is holding Donald's insane line and maintaining the government shut down. What is the GOP gaining from all of this? And why would anyone want them to win? For the sake of your own humanity, you have to want the DNC to win here. CHIP needs to be funded and Dreamers need to stay. We don't need a Nazi roundup and deportation of one million people, my god, what the **** is wrong with you? If it takes a government shutdown to force the GOP to compromise and actually provide solutions to our nation's greatest needs, then so be it.

The DNC wants to fund the government, fund health care for poor kids, and keep Dreamers.
The GOP wants to fund the government while defunding health care and deporting Dreamers.

This should not be a difficult decision, unless you're a skinhead...

your politicians collectively are an abomination.

When corporations are considered citizens and money is considered free speech, you create a fascist oligarchy, which is what we currently have. One party is great at campaigning but terrible at governing. One party is fine at governing but cannot campaign