What's new

UPDATED: 2021 All-Time NBA Draft

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon (drafted in '84)

1626386653958.png

I am choosing his '93-'94 campaign which is the only time a player has won MVP, DPOY, and finals MVP in history. Additionally, this was perhaps the most impressive shouldering of a championship by an individual ever as he was the only All-Star or All-NBA player.

27.3 PPG, 11.9 RPG, 3.7 BPG, 3.6 APG, 1.8 SPG

In this era, he definitively conquered Shaquille O'Neal (likely the only player to head-to-head), David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, and more. He is the ultimate 2-way player, being the GOAT in the post and at protecting the rim (not to mention being very switchable defensively, and I would argue his GOAT-ness extends to most skilled defensive player altogether as well [though that argument is less clear than the non-parenthetical assertions]).

ADENDUM:

Take it from the dudes he played with and against.

He didn't just guard or score in the post. He worked rim to at least 20-feet out on both sides of the ball. He was strong enough to check Shaq but his strength came from his agility, and his athleticism might get lost to history, sometimes being caught with his head near the rim. He was unusually effective as a ballhawk for a center (averaging nearly 2 SPG over his career and finishing top-10 all-time, the next center on the list being at 59), being particularly proficient at deflections on post-entry passes. He had range to 20-feet shooting above 40% on those shots, in addition to a strong face-up and dribble-drive game that caused MJ to call him a '7-foot guard'.

Here's a really good analysis that doesn't ignore the warts he did have, notably interior passing, despite becoming a good passer on kickouts (which is why I think pairing him with other post-players or perimeter players that thrive off cuts is not maximizing.) This analysis starts with him blocking a potential game-winning three in an elimination game in the finals to demonstrate what we're really dealing with regarding his general perimeter abilities.

Last edited:
I am going with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Drafted at 69' Nba draft. Gets underrated a lot in this competitions.

It's hard to choose a single season among 6 MVP seasons but I am going with his highest scoring season. 1971-1972.

34.8 Points, 16.6 Rebounds, 4.6 Assists.

19x All Star
2x Scoring Champ
1975-76 TRB Champ
4x BLK Champ
6x NBA Champ
15x All-NBA
11x All-Defensive
1969-70 All-Rookie
2x Finals MVP
6x MVP
1969-70 ROY

@JoelHodgeJr.

I am going with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Drafted at 69' Nba draft. Gets underrated a lot in this competitions.

It's hard to choose a single season among 6 MVP seasons but I am going with his highest scoring season. 1971-1972.

34.8 Points, 16.6 Rebounds, 4.6 Assists.

19x All Star
2x Scoring Champ
1975-76 TRB Champ
4x BLK Champ
6x NBA Champ
15x All-NBA
11x All-Defensive
1969-70 All-Rookie
2x Finals MVP
6x MVP
1969-70 ROY

@JoelHodgeJr.
He's who I otherwise would have taken. I just couldn't pass up Hakeem and his peerless accomplishments in '93-'94 in addition to demonstrating his superiority head-to-head against the greats of his era.

Wilt Chamberlain, 1959-60​

hi-res-72866739-wilt-chamberlain-of-the-philadelphia-warriors-attempts-a_crop_exact.jpg
NBA Photo Library/Getty Images
Statistics: 37.6 PPG, 2.3 APG, 27.0 RPG

PER: 28.0

Wilt Chamberlain has posted some of the gaudiest statistics the NBA has ever witnessed. And he wasted no time doing it.

His 1959-60 campaign was his first season in the NBA, yet he went on to break eight separate records, including points per game (37.6) and rebounds per game (27.0).

The former Kansas Jayhawk dominated in a way never seen before.

He poured in an astounding 43 points and 28 rebounds in his inaugural NBA game and showed no signs of his youth. The rookie also led the league in minutes per game, PER and finished second in free throws made.

Additionally, he immediately helped lead the Philadelphia Warriors to a 49-26 record.

His rare combination of size, skill and athleticism was completely foreign to the NBA at the time, despite his relative similarity to Celtics great Bill Russell. In comparison, Chamberlain stood three inches taller and was nearly 60 pounds heavier than Russell

hi-res-72866739-wilt-chamberlain-of-the-philadelphia-warriors-attempts-a_crop_exact.jpg

Wilt Chamberlain has posted some of the gaudiest statistics the NBA has ever witnessed. And he wasted no time doing it.

His 1959-60 campaign was his first season in the NBA, yet he went on to break eight separate records, including points per game (37.6) and rebounds per game (27.0).

He poured in an astounding 43 points and 28 rebounds in his inaugural NBA game and showed no signs of his youth. The rookie also led the league in minutes per game, PER and finished second in free throws made.

Additionally, he immediately helped lead the Philadelphia Warriors to a 49-26 record.

His rare combination of size, skill and athleticism was completely foreign to the NBA at the time, despite his relative similarity to Celtics great Bill Russell. In comparison, Chamberlain stood three inches taller and was nearly 60 pounds heavier than Russell
Dang!! He usually doesn’t get picked this early.

LARRY BIRD: drafted 1978
I am taking Larry bird (arguably the most underrated superstar of all time) in his 1984-1985 season
28.7 PPG
10.5 rebounds
6.6 AST
1.6 STL
1.2 BLK
Not to mention the first ever 50-40-85 season and
Accumulating 73 of 78 first place MVP votes.
Screenshot_20210715-200352.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hah! Sucker! Everyone knows wilt was really just 6'4" with a club foot and couldn't run down the court one time to save his life.

Today's supermen doh.