What's new

US Pulling Out of Paris Climate Accord

[MENTION=146]DutchJazzer[/MENTION] I agree the hypocrisy is appalling. Though I give Leo some credit for calling himself out in his documentary. But still, it's ridiculous.

[MENTION=146]DutchJazzer[/MENTION] I agree the hypocrisy is appalling. Though I give Leo some credit for calling himself out in his documentary. But still, it's ridiculous.

and to me you just lose all credibilty! if i knew burning co2 would be catastrophic to earth and humanity, i would go live in the woods and eat raw food! in a warm area as to not burn co2

just like i know cigarettes cause cancer, so i stay far away from them!

and to me you just lose all credibilty! if i knew burning co2 would be catastrophic to earth and humanity, i would go live in the woods and eat raw food! in a warm area as to not burn co2

just like i know cigarettes cause cancer, so i stay far away from them!

You don't have to live like that to have impact. I barely have any environmental impact and it actually improves my life quality:

- I barely eat meat, definitely no red meat......better health
- I compost and recycle............free fertilizer for my garden
- I shop local........ better-tasting food
- I used public transportation, don't own a car..........get to work faster
- My home is on 100% clean energy from a local solar community solar garden............10% cheaper than my local utility

Improve your life, improve the environment. So simple.

You don't have to live like that to have impact. I barely have any environmental impact and it actually improves my life quality:

- My home is on 100% clean energy from a local solar community solar garden............10% cheaper than my local utility

Good post.

Those are all good things, but also not possible for some locations.

For example, there is limited to no public transportation where I love. Things are also 20 miles apart. Bikes aren't exactly realistic for that. Same with solar. There's no way I could put in enough solar panels to power what I need and actually save costs. Your situation is great bc there's a co-op, but not everybody has that.

What's your goal with not eating red meat? Because let's say everybody does that. That's an entire industry wiped out. Where do those jobs go? Most range land isn't suitable for farming, so it's not like they can put that land into that. Health concerns are overrated imo. Don't eat processed meat, you'll be fine. The hormone issue isn't one. Look, I'll keep it simple. There's a reason ratchets don't feed the hormones to cattle. Think about it, they'd rather object a 1000lb animal than feed it. Which one sounds easier? So why do they do injections? It's the mode of action or the hormones. ETing it does nothing, it has to be absorbed straight into the blood stream. We're no different in this regard. Science, bitches.

As for the garden stuff, again, good for you. I've done similar with my garden. It's a lot of work and I'm busy, so I don't. The thing is, add up all the gardens in your state, and it might equal one real farm. Your impact here is negligible. We can't do that on farms, it just doesn't work. There isn't enough yime or material. So what's your alternate for farms? Like I said, these are all good things you're doing, but it's all small scale. The real impact will need to be large scale. How do you propose we do that?

The progressive establishment has moved in a direction that, while enriching our lives immensely overall, left millions of people behind.

Ok, I'm not sure about this. What precisely have progressives done that has been more harmful to working types more than, say, the unrelenting campaign within the Right to weaken labor unions (granted the causes for the demise of labor unions are more complex than this, but it's not the progressives who have sought to weaken them). If the =policies of the Right are enacted into law, the pain among the working class will grow in the form of loss of access to affordable health insurance and loss of other social benefits, among other things Conservatives have not proposed anyting productive, that I'm aware of, that would materially improve the lives and economic prospects of the working or umemployed poor/vulnerable.

I concede the point that millions have been left behind, what I question is that this is the doing of progressives, more so that of the political right, or globalism more generally (which BTW, the Right has traditionally supported more so the the Left).

I do, however, agree with what I see as the underlying point here, which is that, as a nation, we need to think long and hard and attempt to integrate those left behind back into the 'mainstream' economy. I do fault Hillary and the Left/progressive in the most recent Presidential campaign for ignoring this, and I think it may have helped cost them the election. Whether any policies will do anything to actually help these folks (and I'm reasonably certain nothing Trump has proposed so far or is likely to do in the future will do anything to improve their lives and are more likely to make their lives worse), what they seem to care more about (judging by the election) is that, at the very least, politicans appear to give a damn about them. Were I the a key advisor to the Democratic Party, reconnecting with this demographic (whatever it is) would be a top priority for me. Not just lip service, but actual, serious thinking about this issue/problem. It's bound to get worse before it ever gets better.

It might be helpful to differentiate between the influence of progressives on social policy and on economic policy. Progressive social movements have been embraced by the Democratic Party but progressives haven’t had anything close to a controlling influence on economic policy since the collapse of the New Deal coalition more than fifty years ago. For much of that time neoliberalism (the Clintons, the so-called New Democrats, and Third Way politics propogated by the hugely influential Davos Forum), have dominated economic policy when Democrats are in power.

Here’s an interesting article that elaborates on where progressives and neoliberals coalesce and where they differ:

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/progressive-neoliberalism-reactionary-populism-nancy-fraser

"I barely have any environmental impact" ********!

You are a liar, delusional, or both.

Srsly say that you have a much smaller impact than other Americans but don't pretend for a second that all 7 billion of
us earthlings can live like you and poof... harmony with nature. Don't be so dishonest with yourself.

Srsly say that you have a much smaller impact than other Americans but don't pretend for a second that all 7 billion of
us earthlings can live like you and poof... harmony with nature. Don't be so dishonest with yourself.

atleast he is not a giant douche hypocrit like leonardo dicaproi and burning 2000 gallons of guzzoline in an hour!

i respect that!

How am I liar? You're saying I really don't do those things? It's fairly easy for most people to do those things. Public transportation is probably the toughest. But people could still carpool or buy an electric car.

As for clean energy people can do solar. They even had a community solar project in Utah. Or you can buy wind REC's. This is the best company to do that: https://www.arcadiapower.com/

Such typical mindless idiots that say "but I am just one person, it won't matter....So **** it I am just going to be a douche and not care"

How am I liar? You're saying I really don't do those things? It's fairly easy for most people to do those things. Public transportation is probably the toughest. But people could still carpool or buy an electric car.

As for clean energy people can do solar. They even had a community solar project in Utah. Or you can buy wind REC's. This is the best company to do that: https://www.arcadiapower.com/

Such typical mindless idiots that say "but I am just one person, it won't matter....So **** it I am just going to be a douche and not care"

Your reading comprehension is absolutely awful.

Not surprising coming from somebody who thinks tax breaks and subsidies are the same thing, but a guy can hope I guess.

Feel free to respond to my comments whenever you like, your ineptitude is enjoyable.

Why don't you take it bitch?

Because you've proven too daft to understand capitalization, depreciation and depletion. Anyone who believes oil is subsidized is dumber than anyone I want to discuss anything with.

Take an accounting class, bitch.