What's new

Utah Jazz Draft Night 2015 - Rate Dennis Lindsey's Choices....

Lyles - D for disappointing
Hanlan - F for friggin trade both second round picks to move up 1 spot to get Connaughton.

But Lyles, He also fills a position of need, which means he'll see some play time.

Booker is our backup PF. So which position of need does Lyles fill? As of now, he's nowhere close to being a stretch 4, so let's just rule out that as an answer.

Lyles: It was between him, Booker, or Oubre. I wanted Booker because of his shooting and his potential. But Lyles, while a bit slow and boring the few times I saw him, seems like a smart and hard working player. He also fills a position of need, which means he'll see some play time. He's only 19, and he might develop into a nice offensive PF. We'll have to wait and see. B

Hanlan: Never heard of him. But he's Canadian, so he'll bring with him a bunch of Canadian homers to the forums. I already saw one named Dalamon. First impression: don't like him (Dalamon that is).
Ummm other then shooting what potential are u talking about. He's in athletic and a spot up shooter. Not a defender not a good ball handler all he does is spot up. Lyles on the other hand can guard two positions. As far as the Jazz are concerned, he projects to be a good shooter can take a bigger 4 to the hole and over power the smaller 4's and is a good passer for a big. Plus he's a high quality guy with B-Ball smarts.

Who else were the Jazz going to draft? I like Oubre, but he does have huge bust potential. Booker, see what I said above. 12 was too early for guys like Portis and Looney. Dekker, I like him, not as much a need or fit with the roster as Lyles is. What ever happened to "I'll trust whatever DL goes with". Bunch of cry babies. DL and co know better then all a ya armchair GM's. DL gets an efffffffing A+++++. It was even reported they see him as projecting as a stretch 4, and he projects as so much more. I don't think he will be an Allstar, but other then Porzingas Lyles has a better chance at being an Allstar as a stretch 4 more then the other stretch 4's again other then Porz and even he has bigger bust potential then Lyles. This is the case because he brings other qualities to the table as a stretch 4. Unlike most stretch 4's, he can post up, face up and triple threat abilities. He can defend on the perimeter and post defend bigger 4's.

He may not be the sexy athletic pick but he was the right pick for the Jazz.

We all believe the jazz's coaching staff is most equipped at developing players and their skills. So just because the pick isn't who u wanted, and instead of complaining that just because his range isn't what you'd like doesn't mean the staff can't help him improve his range. Hell of a pick. Great find DL.

Lyles: B+ -- Arguably BPA along with Oubre imo, fills our need to replace Kanter; no trade-up opportunity, not sure what else we'd expect. Looney fell out of consideration.

Hanlan: A- -- Looks like a solid, skilled PG with nice size and quickness. Decent pick up in the 2nd round.

Lyles-C mediocre

Hanlan-D We're taking 'safe' picks in the second round now? Why not reach for a guy with a higher ceiling but needs some development?

Van Morrison doesn't like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2mSJtMFZg

DL and co know better then all a ya armchair GM's.

Stupid argument. Every GM makes mistakes, and every one of those mistakes gets called by someone when it happens. I hope DL did get this pick right and all the doubters are wrong, but it's not automatically the right pick just because DL is an NBA GM. Anybody who hated the Burke pick was right, and DL wiffed on it, especially when you consider we gave two firsts to make that pick. Sometimes the armchair GMs get it right.

Lyles-C mediocre

Hanlan-D We're taking 'safe' picks in the second round now? Why not reach for a guy with a higher ceiling but needs some development?

Van Morrison doesn't like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2mSJtMFZg

Stop with the mediocrity talk. Utah left that behind when they moved on from trying to compete with a team built around Jefferson. Even if we had traded out for a future pick, Utah's going to be very good next year.

Lyles B- (to be fair it was starting to get slim pickings when it got to our turn)
Hanlan C+

I wonder if we could have traded both seconds for a better second mid to late 30s

Stupid argument. Every GM makes mistakes, and every one of those mistakes gets called by someone when it happens. I hope DL did get this pick right and all the doubters are wrong, but it's not automatically the right pick just because DL is an NBA GM. Anybody who hated the Burke pick was right, and DL wiffed on it, especially when you consider we gave two firsts to make that pick. Sometimes the armchair GMs get it right.

That's not my point. Most of u kept saying "in DL we trust". So quit the incessant whining and do what u said u were going to do, trust in DL. And even so. DL and Jazz brass are way more informed then u. Weather they are wrong or not. Also don't forget. Most fans cheered the Burke pick and booed the Stockton and Hayward picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the bright side, I guess we can look at DeMarre Carroll's 3PT% in Utah vs. what he achieved in just 1 year under Quin.

Lyles: B

Hanlan: B+

I think some of you who don't watch college ball (and there's a lot of you) are going to be surprised by Hanlan. He's pretty good.

I think the Jazz want to get a wing in FA instead of in the draft. Booker wouldnt play much for a year or two, and who knows if he could even play decent defense. I have zero problem taking Lyles over Booker. Lyles is a mismatch, and as we've learned the last year or two, those can be very important.

yup. Nothing else we can do now, really. Gonna hold all judgement on Lyles until summer league.
May want to wait longer than that. This pick if nothing else showed that the Jazz are still going to be patient. Lyles is unlikely to get many minutes this season and judging on SL is about worthless. I'll say for him what I thought about Exum, it will take him a little time. He's should be farther along than Exum but he is playing a position we are much stronger at than the one Exum plays. So he won't likely get at many chances this year to show his talent.

Ummm other then shooting what potential are u talking about. He's in athletic and a spot up shooter. Not a defender not a good ball handler all he does is spot up. Lyles on the other hand can guard two positions. As far as the Jazz are concerned, he projects to be a good shooter can take a bigger 4 to the hole and over power the smaller 4's and is a good passer for a big. Plus he's a high quality guy with B-Ball smarts.

Who else were the Jazz going to draft? I like Oubre, but he does have huge bust potential. Booker, see what I said above. 12 was too early for guys like Portis and Looney. Dekker, I like him, not as much a need or fit with the roster as Lyles is. What ever happened to "I'll trust whatever DL goes with". Bunch of cry babies. DL and co know better then all a ya armchair GM's. DL gets an efffffffing A+++++. It was even reported they see him as projecting as a stretch 4, and he projects as so much more. I don't think he will be an Allstar, but other then Porzingas Lyles has a better chance at being an Allstar as a stretch 4 more then the other stretch 4's again other then Porz and even he has bigger bust potential then Lyles. This is the case because he brings other qualities to the table as a stretch 4. Unlike most stretch 4's, he can post up, face up and triple threat abilities. He can defend on the perimeter and post defend bigger 4's.

He may not be the sexy athletic pick but he was the right pick for the Jazz.

We all believe the jazz's coaching staff is most equipped at developing players and their skills. So just because the pick isn't who u wanted, and instead of complaining that just because his range isn't what you'd like doesn't mean the staff can't help him improve his range. Hell of a pick. Great find DL.
I hope you are right. I have not criticized the pick mostly because I trust DL because of his track record. And I did not watch any Kentucky this year and know nothing about him. I think this is a pick to replace Booker after this next year. I don't see this guy proving you right for a few years because of lack of opportunity to play.

It's funny all the talk about this might be the most fun draft in years because teams are going to move and there are going to be a bunch of trades.....um virtually nobody traded picks.