What's new

Utah Jazz Open Scrimmage.... 11am Saturday (right now)

Only saw the last scrimmage… JB was real good in that one… THT missed like 3-4 layups… there is absolutely nothing that can be taken from these but it’s kinda fun so glad they had a good time.

Only saw the last scrimmage… JB was real good in that one… THT missed like 3-4 layups… there is absolutely nothing that can be taken from these but it’s kinda fun so glad they had a good time.
I’ve been thinking about something that’s maybe a better idea. Instead of draft threads, I wonder if we could put together a thread for following all of the collegiate track and field people. We can talk about all the great physical capabilities that are off the charts and all the amazing things they could do on the floor. I mean, it’s a completely untapped resource. All those guys need to do is learn how to play basketball and they’ll be unstoppable.

I’ve been thinking about something that’s maybe a better idea. Instead of draft threads, I wonder if we could put together a thread for following all of the collegiate track and field people. We can talk about all the great physical capabilities that are off the charts and all the amazing things they could do on the floor. I mean, it’s a completely untapped resource. All those guys need to do is learn how to play basketball and they’ll be unstoppable.
I swear that’s how I feel some of these guys are evaluated… like if this guy learns to shoot… finish at the rim… if he tightens up his handle… if he improves a bunch on defense… then he will be a pretty great player. So he just has to learn how to basketball.

NAW looked good, Kessler had his moments as did Bolmaro and the Italian Stallion. If I were the GM THT would be on the first bus out of town along with his seatmate Gay.

If I'm the Jazz, I'm not cutting Jared Butler just because I have Rudy Gay stuck on my roster. There could be something there with Butler.

Jared Butler had some nice moments. He's a reliable enough shooter to space the floor. Can't say that about most our guys. He's also good in screen/roll situations.
Fontecchio can knock down shots when no one is around him.
Nickeil and THT are good at driving the ball and passing off.
Kessler is really good at catching the ball and finishing in one smooth motion.
Markkanen didn't play much or do much. Not sure why. I guess the vets didn't need to run much today.
The most obvious cuts to me, aside from Zeller, would be Gay, Lee and I guess Dok if he's never going to play. Dok missed the end of last season, missed Summer League and just missed all of camp.
I still really want to see Butler get a real chance. Let him run the offense, give him serious minutes, find out exactly what we have. If it pans out then his timeline probably fits the tank really well. If not, it just helps the tank in general. Win-win.

That is a weird conclusion. If Butler plays well it is almost guaranteed that he is back on at least a 3yr deal.
Why is it guaranteed? My understanding is he will be unrestricted. If he plays well, every other team will have equal opportunity to sign him. I get the sense he wants a fresh start some other place. Dude has an ego. I think he felt he should have played more last year.

Gay is gone, Dok is gone, Cody Zeller is gone because it is really obvious that those archetypes of players aren't really fitting in with the plan. I think if you really have a plan for getting rid of Conley, you keep Butler. If Conley is staying, you look at Lee because he brings defense that Butler does not.

I think what the Jazz are coveting is a big strong 1 in the mold of Amen Thompson to replace Conley. I feel like the goal is to only give up size in 1 position at the most. The Jazz want long switchable athletes as a base of what we do, and I am here for it.

Why is it guaranteed? My understanding is he will be unrestricted. If he plays well, every other team will have equal opportunity to sign him. I get the sense he wants a fresh start some other place. Dude has an ego. I think he felt he should have played more last year.

Butler sucked out loud every time he got into the game. He looked good last preseason and in today's scrimmage, but I feel the knock on him is he panics when the big lights are on. That's on him. He shouldn't have let Trent Forrest take his minutes.

Butler is restricted, I think. Saben Lee is unrestricted.

I think Nickeil can shoot a bit off the catch. It's just that he can't shoot off the bounce. Shame really, since he's otherwise pretty good with the ball in his hands.