What's new

Utah Jazz should keep swinging in tightened free-agent market | SL Trib

I would try to sign Tobias Harris. Let Booker walk. Let Evans go or keep him as a 15th man. If Lyles outplays Harris, then trade Harris. Whatever deal he gets now should be decent on the future market.

I would laugh maniacally if we signed Harris and Neto came over. Our 2nd team would be awesome - Neto, Hood/Burks, Harris, Lyles, Pleiss

Harris is better than most anyone they could offer on next summer too. But by then they will be saving for all the F/A's in 2017..

They're penny pinching, that's why they probably won't offer. they probably also want a chance at pulling the plug and tanking if a key injury occurs.

If the salary cap goes up from $67 to $90 and then $107 the next two years, then is it possible we're just waiting for a specific player to become a free agent between now and then? I mean not signing somebody now doesn't mean we're out of a once in a lifetime opportunity to get some good players if next summer and the one after is going to be the same. Or am I wrong about that? It would seem it might be a good idea to wait and see what our team needs before throwing $40 mil at guys like Iman Shumpert, right?

So if all the very good free agents are gone, will the Jazz jump on the 'David Lee salary dump/trade with the Warriors?

Watch for Toronto and Houston, both have big plans and may need to unload Patrick Patterson and Terrence jones to make it work. Jazz have multiple ungauranteed contracts to trade.

Watch for Toronto and Houston, both have big plans and may need to unload Patrick Patterson and Terrence jones to make it work. Jazz have multiple ungauranteed contracts to trade.

I doubt Terrence Jones would be had for free or cheap. He's pretty good. Houston probably likes him.

I like him, but I'm not sure Jazz would take him because he may or may not have character issues. He did kick a homeless person.

Harris is better than most anyone they could offer on next summer too. But by then they will be saving for all the F/A's in 2017..

They're penny pinching, that's why they probably won't offer. they probably also want a chance at pulling the plug and tanking if a key injury occurs.

I don't buy the penny pinching crap for a second. There is validity to the idea of maintaining financial flexibility to make a move at the trade deadline. No point of making moves just to say you did something. Most of the good FA options just aren't realistic for Utah. Using that cap space in a trade gives Utah a better chance to acquire a significant player than signing the Raja Bells of the world just to appease the masses. Fans need to just calm the **** down and put some faith in DL and company.

I don't buy the penny pinching crap for a second. There is validity to the idea of maintaining financial flexibility to make a move at the trade deadline. No point of making moves just to say you did something. Most of the good FA options just aren't realistic for Utah. Using that cap space in a trade gives Utah a better chance to acquire a significant player than signing the Raja Bells of the world just to appease the masses. Fans need to just calm the **** down and put some faith in DL and company.

I have faith in DL to work the draft. I have faith in DL to hire a HC and assist him in hiring coaching staff. I have faith in DL scouting.

I don't have faith in DL in the FA market when it comes to making major signings. He royally ****ed up the Hayward thing by not securing a 4 year deal and getting the deal done earlier. Favors was a good deal, but that was just Favors really wanting to have security in Utah. Burks got an extension too early. Not sure I trust him with big time FA deals.

If the salary cap goes up from $67 to $90 and then $107 the next two years, then is it possible we're just waiting for a specific player to become a free agent between now and then? I mean not signing somebody now doesn't mean we're out of a once in a lifetime opportunity to get some good players if next summer and the one after is going to be the same. Or am I wrong about that? It would seem it might be a good idea to wait and see what our team needs before throwing $40 mil at guys like Iman Shumpert, right?

Utah isn't likely waiting for next offseason, as more teams will have money to spend. More likely, they want to maintain flexibility to make trades easier at the deadline. That way they can get a good look at what they have and hope for the right opportunity by the TD.

I have faith in DL to work the draft. I have faith in DL to hire a HC and assist him in hiring coaching staff. I have faith in DL scouting.

I don't have faith in DL in the FA market when it comes to making major signings. He royally ****ed up the Hayward thing by not securing a 4 year deal and getting the deal done earlier. Favors was a good deal, but that was just Favors really wanting to have security in Utah. Burks got an extension too early. Not sure I trust him with big time FA deals.

No, you're dumb. You should stick to college prospects. DL ****ing killed it with the Favors and Burks contracts, and the Hayward situation was completely understandable as nobody thought he'd get that offer. He also made the right call matching Gordo when most people thought we should let him walk. Everybody is a ****ing expert with the power of hindsight.

We don't need any FAs. What we do need, however, is a backup big man that can play C in a pinch who can hit the long ball. That's it.

Who's to say that standing pat is a good idea and Isn't being complacent though?? YOU?

All of a sudden the 0 championship having Jazz have some mystic formula for winning that must be upheld!!! The team went 38-44 last year get a grip, the west is tougher than ever.

or at least admit this team will just be going thru the motions next year and we will be draft-watching again.

Favors took that deal to secure the core,no ?? Its secure, now mother****ers want to hold space for future trades, or the owners pockets... thats BS. This team is set up for failure this year in the west, Perhaps they limp into the playoffs as planned. Maybe they're waiting on KD to leave the west before they 'go for it'.

what i'm saying is - why not try and add talent for $$ while its available and build as much momentum as possible. whats the risk? (the $1,000,000 question no one will detail for me today)

People around here act like bottom-feeder teams wouldnt take tobias harris off our hands if something goes wrong, gotta take some risks, its way too pompous to think you're just going to outdraft and outdevelop all the other teams

Who's to say that standing pat is a good idea and Isn't being complacent though?? YOU?

All of a sudden the 0 championship having Jazz have some mystic formula for winning that must be upheld!!! The team went 38-44 last year get a grip, the west is tougher than ever.

or at least admit this team will just be going thru the motions next year and we will be draft-watching again.

Favors took that deal to secure the core,no ?? Its secure, now mother****ers want to hold space for future trades, or the owners pockets... thats BS. This team is set up for failure this year in the west, Perhaps they limp into the playoffs as planned. Maybe they're waiting on KD to leave the west before they 'go for it'.

what i'm saying is - why not try and add talent for $$ while its available and build as much momentum as possible. whats the risk? (the $1,000,000 question no one will detail for me today)

People around here act like bottom-feeder teams wouldnt take tobias harris off our hands if something goes wrong, gotta take some risks, its way too pompous to think you're just going to outdraft and outdevelop all the other teams

Cool yer jets, Leroy. I'm not a proponent of standing pat. I am, however, reasonable enough to understand that we can't force FAs to sign here. There is a lot that goes into it, such as being able to provide playing time, etc. Like it or not, Utah is not at the top of most NBA players' preferred destinations, so it takes a specific set of circumstances to come away with a decent player in FA in most instances. TRADE is always a better option to acquire quality players in Utah, and rather than wasting our cap space on the Raja Bells of the world, it would probably serve us better to try and grab a significant player at the trade deadline than overpaying someone who isn't really an upgrade over our current players.

Ok but when was I ever talking about 'forcing free agents to sign here'? all I was asking for was a good reason why its a bad idea to throw out an offer to Tobias Harris, whats the worst that could happen barring serious injury. I haven't gotten an even remotely decent answer yet tbh. The cap ramifications are not a big deal for the core, so whats the issue.

"free agents dont want to sign here, its Utah" doesn't fly with me, perhaps its the truth, I'm not buying it. yall use that phrase like some one size fits all type ****.

I'd like to remind you that because something is unlikely, that isn't an excuse for not trying...

that seems like something yall have been conditioned to say honestly, its 1 step away from a natural reflex, like some minor form of stockholm syndrome or sumthing. "Free agents dont like us but the F/O does!!!!"

Cool yer jets, Leroy. I'm not a proponent of standing pat. I am, however, reasonable enough to understand that we can't force FAs to sign here. There is a lot that goes into it, such as being able to provide playing time, etc. Like it or not, Utah is not at the top of most NBA players' preferred destinations, so it takes a specific set of circumstances to come away with a decent player in FA in most instances. TRADE is always a better option to acquire quality players in Utah, and rather than wasting our cap space on the Raja Bells of the world, it would probably serve us better to try and grab a significant player at the trade deadline than overpaying someone who isn't really an upgrade over our current players.
This^^^^

Even with the cap going up, there's going to be ramifications for the types of deals being thrown around. Buyer's remorse over the next 3 years is going to be spectacular. I'd bargain shop for another Trevor Booker type player (preferably a wing or guard) and then take a good look at Tomic's new contract. The reported NBA buyout will be critical, but it wouldn't stop me from putting together a package to bring him over. Jazz have the need, the cash and the cap space. Pleiss too.

I can live with a solid offer being made to Tobias Harris. Not sure he's the best fit, but I think he'd do well in Utah under Snyder. Especially if it doesn't cost the Jazz any assets. Depending on how he plays, Harris himself could end up being a very valuable trade asset down the road himself. Or he could turn into another Core piece of this young and developing team.

This^^^^

Even with the cap going up, there's going to be ramifications for the types of deals being thrown around. Buyer's remorse over the next 3 years is going to be spectacular.

Tyson Chandler making big time money when he is 37 years old and broken down comes to mind

Jazz must be working on salary dump trades only. Aaron Afflalo just signed with Knicks for 2-years/ $16m. That should have been a no-brainer offer for the Jazz up to 2 years/ $22m.

Sent from the JazzFanz app