What's new

Utah Jazz should keep swinging in tightened free-agent market | SL Trib

Jazz must be working on salary dump trades only. Aaron Afflalo just signed with Knicks for 2-years/ $16m. That should have been a no-brainer offer for the Jazz up to 2 years/ $22m.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Afflalo is awful... I'd rather play Ingles than him.

Monta gone too now - 4 years/ $44m. He and Exum in the back-court would have actually been a solid tandem. If Utah cut or traded Booker, they could have signed both Afflalo and Ellis and been a Top 4 team in the West.

What a starting line-up!!!
Gobert
Favors
Hayward
Ellis
Exum

Starting-caliber Bench!!!
Burke
Burks
Afflalo

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/329...st-fits-for-the-Utah-Jazz-in-free-agency.html

Artcile that lists 15 FAs the Jazz oculd sign without handicapping the players we have.

Thoughts? I have seen some of the names mentioned on Jazzfanz already.

Omri intrigues me for the right price... Wright might work... Teletovic would be okay too.

I want a big wing that can shoot and possibly play playmaking 4. I think Omri has the best chance to do it and he has been playing in Sacramento which means he is likely better than he's showed in that dumpster fire.

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/329...st-fits-for-the-Utah-Jazz-in-free-agency.html

Artcile that lists 15 FAs the Jazz oculd sign without handicapping the players we have.

Thoughts? I have seen some of the names mentioned on Jazzfanz already.

I like a lot of these options. Marco would be a no-brainer... Datome and Teletovic (if healthy) too, but they are restricted. Don't think Celtic will match former, but Brooklen will match latter. I think adding a vocal vet with deep playoff experience like Jameer Nelson is crucial as well, but Utah currently has 4 PGs.

Baynes just go 3 years and 20 M.... My brain hurts...

I like a lot of the big guys on that list. The shooters - Teletovic, Caspi, Jerebko. But I agree that Davis is #1 - dude had a PER of 20 last year - that is crazy.

I think Omri might be one of the rare bargains in FA... if we don't have something in the works I might go offer him a mid levelish deal right now. He'd be a great fill in the gap guy and I think there is a better player there than he's showed.

Guy went 11 and 5 in sac after the AS break... shot 46% from three. He's big enough to play 4 in spots.

Jared Dudley just got traded to Wiz for cap space and a second rounder.... that one stings for us if we don't do anything. He would have been perfect to fill in gap in wings and play some playmaking 4... Also a great locker room guy.

Not sure why Milwaukee would give him up.

Jared Dudley just got traded to Wiz for cap space and a second rounder.... that one stings for us if we don't do anything. He would have been perfect to fill in gap in wings and play some playmaking 4... Also a great locker room guy.

Not sure why Milwaukee would give him up.

I'm assuming it was to free up either cash or cap space for Monroe and Middleton. Bucks have an interesting starting five. Monroe, Parker, Antetokounmpo, Middleton and Carter-Williams. Seems like really mismatched pieces for them. Wonder how well they'll actually work out together.

If the salary cap goes up from $67 to $90 and then $107 the next two years, then is it possible we're just waiting for a specific player to become a free agent between now and then? I mean not signing somebody now doesn't mean we're out of a once in a lifetime opportunity to get some good players if next summer and the one after is going to be the same. Or am I wrong about that? It would seem it might be a good idea to wait and see what our team needs before throwing $40 mil at guys like Iman Shumpert, right?

I agree.

If the salary cap goes up from $67 to $90 and then $107 the next two years, then is it possible we're just waiting for a specific player to become a free agent between now and then? I mean not signing somebody now doesn't mean we're out of a once in a lifetime opportunity to get some good players if next summer and the one after is going to be the same. Or am I wrong about that? It would seem it might be a good idea to wait and see what our team needs before throwing $40 mil at guys like Iman Shumpert, right?

I don't think Utah is saving cap space for next year, as we'll have more next year, but so will everybody else, which puts us at a disadvantage. There is some validity to maintaining our cap space until the trade deadline, as it gives us more flexibility to pull off a trade and lets us evaluate the team a bit first. I'm sure DL is exploring all options to improve the team and is willing to stand pat if the right opportunity doesn't present itself, but I don't buy for a second that the plan is to do nothing and wait for next year.

Imo, now is the time for Utah to lock up a FA or 2. It doesn't necessarily need to (or should) be a marquee signing, but with the salary cap (as well as the competition for FA's) increasing within the next couple of years, now would be a great opportunity for small-market teams such as this one to sign a solid role-player or 2 to a long-term contract. In 1 year, almost every team in the league is expected to have a significant amount of money to spend. When Kanter was traded, DL stated that he intended to use the money that was freed up over this upcoming off-season. Instead of consolidating the assets received in return during that trade to acquire 1 high-level asset, DL instead opted to obtain a future draft pick, a fringe prospect, a decent over-seas player, & financial flexibility. I believe that he prioritized financial flexibility in order to take advantage of the unique opportunity that will be available over the summer.

As one of the less attractive current FA destinations in the league, the FO understands that any signings made now, will become a steal as the cap increases. I expect DL & CO to attempt to sign at least 1 undervalued FA (such as Booker last year) to a long-term deal, in order to have a cheap rotation player (or 2) under contract at below market value for when the team projects to become legitimate championship contenders. As the cap increases, the possibility of this team attracting any high-end FA's decreases. I believe that this off-season is the right time for our FO to exploit what is looking like will be a market deficiency (although to a lesser extent than those teams signing max/near-max level FA's). Adding a contributing player or 2 now, while there is less competition as well as a higher likelihood of the contract(s) becoming a bargain, could ultimately pay major dividends in the future by giving the team ever more cap-space/flexibility to add that piece or 2 that could potentially put the team over the top once it is on the brink of contention by allowing the FO to allocate the newly found income/resources (due to the cap increase) to more important pieces such as that missing starter/elite scorer/etc.

Last edited:
I have faith in DL to work the draft. I have faith in DL to hire a HC and assist him in hiring coaching staff. I have faith in DL scouting.

I don't have faith in DL in the FA market when it comes to making major signings. He royally ****ed up the Hayward thing by not securing a 4 year deal and getting the deal done earlier. Favors was a good deal, but that was just Favors really wanting to have security in Utah. Burks got an extension too early. Not sure I trust him with big time FA deals.
How can the Hayward deal be royally ****ed up when everybody is happy about it? It may have looked like he handled it wrong to you, but in retrospect he did the right thing. Royally ****ed up would have been if he had let Hayward walk and then he'd turned into a star for Charlotte. Remember, DL had no control over whether Hayward was going to shop himself around or not. He cannot force anybody to take his offers.

How can the Hayward deal be royally ****ed up when everybody is happy about it? It may have looked like he handled it wrong to you, but in retrospect he did the right thing. Royally ****ed up would have been if he had let Hayward walk and then he'd turned into a star for Charlotte. Remember, DL had no control over whether Hayward was going to shop himself around or not. He cannot force anybody to take his offers.
Hayward was asking for a 4 year 64 million dollar extension and DL didn't give it to him. We could have had Hayward for cheaper and an extra year.