What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

Also if seconds are super valuable rn what about AB and our second for al Jefferson... his contract is only 4M guaranteed next year. Would have to see if that gets us actual space or not.

Sounds like it will be a boring *** deadline.

Yeh maybe. Not stoked though. Id prefer an early 2nd to a really late 1st.

Id be pressing for Bolden.

They have Bkn second this year and Sacramento next year. Plus TLC... better than a poke in the eye I guess. I think FRPs went from under valued to over valued over night.

Everyone asking for a first and yet that's the only thing teams aren't giving up... unless you are known to panic and your name is the New Orleans Pelicans. LMAO.
Stretch 4 market is kinda bare right now and I don't think it's worth it to lose Favors just to have a hole. Hood and Burks are expendable although Hood has been stellar off the bench lately.

It'll be interesting if Hood really is as good as gone. Favors would probably be a sadder case since he's been around quite a while... almost as long as Hornacek if I read that right earlier today.

Who do you guys view as the "core" of this Jazz team? I'm not sure that question has been asked here but I feel like it's an important question to ponder. In my view the core of this team going forward are the following players...

Donovan & Rudy- Of course. 2 All-NBA level talents. Superstars. The two most important players to our franchise.
Ricky Rubio- Our current #3 to the big 2. Whether he is the long-term #3 or just a bridge to whoever that guy may be is up for debate. But his value to us right now is unquestionable.
Dante Exum- He's the guy that I believe that the FO really wants to become that #3. DL and Quin have never wavered in their support of Dante and their faith in him as a prospect.
Joe Ingles- The ultimate glue guy and team player. Very important to the team on AND off the court.

Those are the guys that I view as the "core" right now. And if that's the core then the pieces that we surround them with need to compliment their skills. I don't see how Rodney fits into that core. Rodney is a high usage volume shooter and scorer. That's his best skill as a player. That doesn't mesh well with a Donovan, Rubio and Dante trio. Donovan NEEDS to be a high usage scorer because he's a star. Rubio is not an off ball player, he needs the ball in his hands a good amount because he's a good playmaker. And what have the coaches been preaching to Dante ever since he got here? Attack, be aggressive offensively, get to the rim. With just those 3 I think we can make things work. But 4 guards who all require the ball doesn't seem like a good recipe for success to me. Someone would have to play out of their comfort zone (and that didn't work very well for Rubio this year). So, if the Jazz end up keeping Hood at the deadline and we match an offer on him this summer the question becomes who ends up leaving between Rubio and Exum?

I really think that moving Hood now for the best offer (whatever that may be) is the move. Rubio is a better player than Hood. And Exum has more upside than Hood and will be far cheaper to keep.

So. . . A bit out of left field, but I think the Jazz should try to swap Alec Burks and a future 2nd round pick for DeMarre Carroll to add another lock-down wing defender for the playoff push.

I’d essentially have him fill the Thabo/JJ role on the team for the rest of this year and next. It adds an extra $4 million to the payroll, but it also has the Jazz getting a guy who is a better fit for the team moving forward. The financial commitment is still fairly minimal. Next year, he’ll be a $15 million expiring contract - similar to what the Jazz are facing with Burks anyways. He does a lot of stuff that already fits this team (defense, hustle, decent three point shooter) and he has a positive opinion of both the club and Quin Snyder. The Nets get to save some cash and add a young wing to their roster for a year and a half(ish) tryout. I think it could be a deal that benefits both teams as well as both players. Probably not very likely, but should be worth looking at.

Plus, I love the idea of a Gobert, Favors, Carroll, Jingles, O’Neale, Hood, Mitchell and Rubio playoff rotation.

So. . . A bit out of left field, but I think the Jazz should try to swap Alec Burks and a future 2nd round pick for DeMarre Carroll to add another lock-down wing defender for the playoff push.

I’d essentially have him fill the Thabo/JJ role on the team for the rest of this year and next. It adds an extra $4 million to the payroll, but it also has the Jazz getting a guy who is a better fit for the team moving forward. The financial commitment is still fairly minimal. Next year, he’ll be a $15 million expiring contract - similar to what the Jazz are facing with Burks anyways. He does a lot of stuff that already fits this team (defense, hustle, decent three point shooter) and he has a positive opinion of both the club and Quin Snyder. The Nets get to save some cash and add a young wing to their roster for a year and a half(ish) tryout. I think it could be a deal that benefits both teams as well as both players. Probably not very likely, but should be worth looking at.

Plus, I love the idea of a Gobert, Favors, Carroll, Jingles, O’Neale, Hood, Mitchell and Rubio playoff rotation.

It seems a little unnecessary with the way Royce has stepped up after Thabo's injury. But I wouldn't mind that trade if it happened.

As GM, I've decided to keep Hood and hope we can get him on a somewhat reasonable deal this offseason. It's probably a worthwhile risk since he is a valuable player and I don't see how we get value back for him this deadline. I've also decided it is best to keep favors and just let him walk in the off season because I don't want to take back any ****** contracts and yeah, I want the playoffs. We are so close why not. Not really interested in a second round pick and definitely not interested in packaging our first.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The only exception I would make is if the cavs get desperate and decide to trade K-Love for Favors, Hood, and Johnson, and don't require a pick back. I would have to do that. But that's really the only worthwhile trade I see. Everyone else is asking too much. a first for bradley? WTF? Too many sellers this deadline, and there are a couple desperate teams who are liable to make a mistake and I feel like everyone knows it and is waiting on them. And if we can't get good value for Hood I think we got to keep him and pray he doesn't get a crazy offer this offseason that we can't match. It's worth the risk.

As GM, I've decided to keep Hood and hope we can get him on a somewhat reasonable deal this offseason. It's probably a worthwhile risk since he is a valuable player and I don't see how we get value back for him this deadline. I've also decided it is best to keep favors and just let him walk in the off season because I don't want to take back any ****** contracts and yeah, I want the playoffs. We are so close why not. Not really interested in a second round pick and definitely not interested in packaging our first.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The only exception I would make is if the cavs get desperate and decide to trade K-Love for Favors, Hood, and Johnson, and don't require a pick back. I would have to do that. But that's really the only worthwhile trade I see. Everyone else is asking too much. a first for bradley? WTF? Too many sellers this deadline, and there are a couple desperate teams who are liable to make a mistake and I feel like everyone knows it and is waiting on them. And if we can't get good value for Hood I think we got to keep him and pray he doesn't get a crazy offer this offseason that we can't match. It's worth the risk.

This.

I would never take Kevin Love at his age .He's land locked with zero hops and totally reliant on Lebron getting him shots.I view him like Boozer, that hitting 30 yrs old he will decline quickly and some team will have a huge salary hurting their team.
For team chemistry I would get someone closer to Gobert,DM and Exum's age .

The only way I trade Hood is for Love, Gordon, or Jabari. Nobody else makes sense, and first round picks generally don’t do ****.

Don't be shocked if they trade him for a late first. Jazz are valuing cap flexibility, so they might rather have the flexibility and a late first than pay Hood 10-12mil a year. I think they're gonna be super active in free agency. Gonna offer some blue chipper a toxic contract in RFA.

The Donovan Mitchell - Kyle Kuzma effect has given everyone penis brain in regards to first round picks. This overinflated value is insane. Two years ago with the cap spike you saw a very unreasonable and unrestrained league start to fork out $64M for the Mozgovs, $95M for the Chandler Parsons, and $40M for the Dellavedovas. The league lost its collective mind, with little care to employ an ounce of foresight. Still, the prevailing groupthink won out because “nah, bros, that’s just the going rate you’ve gotta pony up in today’s NBA lololol.”

Another hyperinflated insanity arises with first round picks, nobody wishing to convey after they’ve witnessed Utah and LA trade for, what were previously deemed, marginal picks and hit grand slams. “Give up a first rounder? Nah, you’re giving up a potential franchise changer,” is the new groupthink.

The time to sell is when the value is high and you can get more on your return than what your goods are actually worth. It would be quite interesting to survey the market on what giving up two first rounders could get you now — of course this is problematic if you’ve been greatly affected by the hype. But it would be an opportune time to strike while it’s hot, before reality sets back in and 2-3 years down the road and everyone realizes “man, WTF were we thinking?” and is now left with red Kool Aid stains on their new carpet.

I think the trade will end up being Hood and Burks to Atlanta for expirings and one of their late 1sts (Minny or Houston). Atlanta can't get a guy like Hood in free agency anyway.

I really worry about keeping Favors. His summer contract might be one we regret in a few years.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app