What's new

Utah vs. #15 Pitt

But which team played Utah St? Whoever scores more points against Utah State is "clearly" better.

And this coming from the jackass who said BYU was clearly better than Utah because they beat Northern Iowa at home by more points than Utah beat Michigan at Michigan. Of course Utah smashed BYU later that season 48-24...

I live in Happy Valley and can tell you there are plenty of "excuses" for BYU to lose this.

#1 No proven QB. Bronco is just waiting for one of them to "lose" it before naming the permanent starter.
#2 Lost offensive players. No Pitta, Hall, Or Unga this year. That's a lot to replace. Although they may have the talent to make up for their losses, I think it will take more than the home opener for those other players to prove themselves.
#3 Sark is a real good offensive playcaller and Jake Locker is a stud. He'll find BYU's weaknesses (which aren't too hard to find. They still lack a lot of athleticism out on the perimeter). Washington came very close to knocking out the Cougs a few years back. They're a lot better team now.
#4 Although Washington may have weaknesses on defense, who's going to exploit them? Quick question, after Riley, Heaps, and Jacobson, name another offensive player for BYU. That's the problem. Who's their tight end? Who's their RB? How are they going to exploit Washington's weaknesses?

I can tell you, from all the people I've talked to at school at UVU, most BYU fans are very concerned about this game. They'd be far less had Unga still been on the roster. But right now the general feeling is that this team is going to take a few games to figure out things that most teams figured out in spring ball (like who their QB is going to be).

BYU may blow this game out. If they do, more credit to them. But most fans are feeling pretty uneasy right now. No one knows what to expect. A running offense like when Doman played? Will Heaps look good? Will Jacobson even get the ball? Will Chambers or Ashworth look better this year? Who's the main ball-carrier going to be?

I think Utah fans basically knew what to expect in their home opener. Pitt was going to try and run the ball and eat up clock. While the Utes were going to try and put them into throwing downs forcing them to beat them passing. Offensively, the Utes needed to keep Wide/Asiata involved while Wynn just needed to not make mistakes. Dump the ball off for short passes and allowing the superior athleticism of Ute receivers to make plays.

I actually agree with everything you touched on, but the problem is that BYU fans have been telling us Utah fans for years that they don't rebuild down in Happy Valley, they simply reload. Problem is, you can't have it both ways. If this BYU program is where most Cougar fans say it is, they should be able to handle Jake Locker and Washington. Period.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I said I'm certainly picking BYU to win. In reality, I don't know enough about Washington to make much of an educated guess on the issue. However, if Washington leaves Provo with a win, I think it has more to do with BYU being in store for a mediocre season than it does Washington being great.

With a Washington loss and road games remaining @Florida State, TCU, and Utah, that would put BYU in a pretty daunting hole to begin the season.

I actually agree with everything you touched on, but the problem is that BYU fans have been telling us Utah fans for years that they don't rebuild down in Happy Valley, they simply reload. Problem is, you can't have it both ways. If this BYU program is where most Cougar fans say it is, they should be able to handle Jake Locker and Washington. Period.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I said I'm certainly picking BYU to win. In reality, I don't know enough about Washington to make much of an educated guess on the issue. However, if Washington leaves Provo with a win, I think it has more to do with BYU being in store for a mediocre season than it does Washington being great.

With a Washington loss and road games remaining @Florida State, TCU, and Utah, that would put BYU in a pretty daunting hole to begin the season.

Some fans are dumb. Those BYU homers who said that were completely wrong. So I can understand you there.

In a way, every team in college "rebuilds" every year. Maybe for teams like Florida or BYU, the rebuilding project is much larger since they lost players that had been such big parts of their programs for such a long time.

But IMHO, I think BYU is in a much bigger "rebuilding" year than in years past. They lost their entire offense from the past 2-3 years and with no proven replacement right now. I have no clue who the tight ends are. I'm unsure about Jacobson (and I'm not a fan of Chambers). And I don't know too much about their running backs.

Basically, the only thing I know is that their offensive line is big and slow (I did hear good news that Reynolds has lost some weight to be better able to protect the QB in passing situations). And their linebackers and safeties are solid. I'm a big fan of Penalton and Rich. Those guys are studs.

One thing that just amazes me is the change in recruiting that has taken place in such a short amount of time. I often remember the McBride teams being pretty talented but basically even with BYU. Even Urban Meyer's Utah teams didn't have that much of an athletic or size edge against BYU. But today, it's unreal how much team speed and size Utah has. Zane Taylor is an offensive lineman with a 6-pack (the good kind). That defensive line creates so much pressure on the QB it's silly. Those WRs and DBs look like NFL caliber players. Quite honestly, Utah looks like a top tier Pac-10 school talent-wise.

The pressure Utah puts on the perimeter, both offensively and defensively is the key to their success IMO. Not many teams have WRs that can beat Utah's secondary, and not many secondaries can cover Utah's WRs without leaving themselves incredibly vulnerable to the run.

I would be surprised if Utah loses to TCU in SLC this year. If Wynn can stop dancing and deliver strikes, this Utah team even with a sophomore QB has a chance to be special and play in another BCS bowl. Just look @ their schedule. All tough games are at home. Meanwhile, both TCU and BYU have to go out on the road.

And this coming from the jackass who said BYU was clearly better than Utah because they beat Northern Iowa at home by more points than Utah beat Michigan at Michigan. Of course Utah smashed BYU later that season 48-24...

Wait, what?

LOL.

Jackass, I have no clue what you're even talking about. I've never heard or seen anyone make a case that BYU was better than Utah because they beat some school that I've never even heard of. Did you mean snow college maybe?

Clearly, If you're going to call me a jackass, clearly, at least say something that makes sense. Clearly.

Is Direct TV still clearly better than sex?

Anyone else see the abortion known as New Mexico Football? My hell, if they keep this up they're going to have 100 points dumped on them by the Ducks.

It's kinda sad that after a fun and intense Pitt game Utah doesn't have another real game for a few weeks. UNLV and New Mexico could probably be killed by a few HS teams from Utah, Bingham and Timpview.

Wait, what?

LOL.

Jackass, I have no clue what you're even talking about. I've never heard or seen anyone make a case that BYU was better than Utah because they beat some school that I've never even heard of. Did you mean snow college maybe?

Clearly, If you're going to call me a jackass, clearly, at least say something that makes sense. Clearly.

Is Direct TV still clearly better than sex?

So your new thing is to post the dumbest crap around and then deny it was you? What a jackass.

Plus be could totally beat the shut out of me in real life. Lol
I'd have to catch you first and then I'd have to work inside as you clearly have the reach. Marriage surely has had to take a little out of you though.

Ute fans like you are cool but no fun for me as you don't let me get your goat like these other emotional wrecks on this board do.

Agreed. Putting him on ignore would cause you to miss out on probably the most idoiocy that I've ever seen on an internet message board (and that's really saying something). Plus, it probably gives him a stiffy each time a poster puts him on ignore.

It's been a really fun last couple of days watching even fellow BYU fans telling him that he "sucks balls", etc. He's literally the loud, obnoxious guy at a party who wasn't invited and nobody wants there but he's to dense and self-involved to realize that he's the laughingstock of the group.

Personally, I hope he keeps going. You can't pay for entertainment like this.
Geez, if you combined all of your posts about me you'd probably have a 500-page novel. Suggested titles: "Little Brother on Tilt", "Musings of a Female Ute Fan", "Turning 15 is an Emotional Roller-coaster", "How to Tag-team on a Message Board", "How to be a Message Board Dummie for Dummies", and so forth.

So your new thing is to post the dumbest crap around and then deny it was you? What a jackass.

Great comeback. Real creative.

518057_f520.jpg

images

Anyone else see the abortion known as New Mexico Football? My hell, if they keep this up they're going to have 100 points dumped on them by the Ducks.

It's kinda sad that after a fun and intense Pitt game Utah doesn't have another real game for a few weeks. UNLV and New Mexico could probably be killed by a few HS teams from Utah, Bingham and Timpview.

New Mexico's performance is "Exhibit A" as to why both Utah schools are getting the hell out of the MWC. The bottom feeders of that conference have, and always will bring the others down. That's TCU and Boise's problem now.

I bet you Southern Utah could have went to Oregon and put up a better fight.

Some fans are dumb. Those BYU homers who said that were completely wrong. So I can understand you there.

In a way, every team in college "rebuilds" every year. Maybe for teams like Florida or BYU, the rebuilding project is much larger since they lost players that had been such big parts of their programs for such a long time.

Offensively this was pretty similar to the U last year especially after Asiata went down with an injury, figured Reed should be good but the rest of the WR kinda had to prove it, the O line figured to be pretty good however. The D was different in that it was breaking in 2 CB's that went to the NFL and the D line had some turnover but multiple injuries, however I know as a U fan I looked at it pretty similar overall to how your looking at it 3 losses would be a good season (obviously the rivalry game you always know either team can win any season).