What's new

Video Game Thread

I was thinking of getting Alpha Protocol but after reading several reviews I was left feeling "meh" and didn't bother.

Anyone read all the new stuff on NBA Live being re-branded as NBA Elite 11?

A lot of the stuff they talk about seems extremely promising they have really upped their commitment to realism. But then again, haven't we heard it all before from EA Sports?

Although, NBA Live 10 was a huge step in the right direction,

Microsoft revealed their new xbox 360 system at E3:

not a bad system for $299, i have yet to buy a xbox so this might be my first one

****. I just got my 120GB Elite 2 months ago.
I actually still have my ancient 20GB one. It's RROD'ed about three times, but with the warranty, they just keep fixing it for me. But the next time it breaks I probably will need to get a new one... nice to see a slightly upgraded version, although those "features" listed sound like a lot of hot air, not much I actually care about. I mean, touch-sensitive buttons? Who cares? The only thing that I really like on that list is that it's supposed to be quieter... my old 360 is loud as hell.

At least I was lucky enough to buy my first PS3 just as the slim model came out... it's nice. I've barely touched my 360 since I got it, except to play Mass Effect 2.

Myself and the boy are PC gamers. More him than me these days but yeah. I played Mass Effect, love the Bethesda offerings, KOTOR, etc. I have the first STALKER sitting around and more- Civ IV etc to get to.

The boy has moved on to Bad Company 2, Baldur's Gate (is revisiting those old games a movement or something?), etc

I actually still have my ancient 20GB one. It's RROD'ed about three times, but with the warranty, they just keep fixing it for me. But the next time it breaks I probably will need to get a new one... nice to see a slightly upgraded version, although those "features" listed sound like a lot of hot air, not much I actually care about. I mean, touch-sensitive buttons? Who cares? The only thing that I really like on that list is that it's supposed to be quieter... my old 360 is loud as hell.

At least I was lucky enough to buy my first PS3 just as the slim model came out... it's nice. I've barely touched my 360 since I got it, except to play Mass Effect 2.

That's the other thing, I'm still rockin' the bottom of the line model "fat" PS3. Maybe I'll offer it up to my brother at a discounted price and get a new slim.

This is what I'm excited about.

https://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=251174

The network will bring 3500 live sport events to 360 including Soccer, NBA collage basketball, collage football and more.

The service looked very similar to the Sky service currently available in Europe. A pair of lippy ESPN pundits (Robert Green jokes and all) even showed off ESPN working hands-free with Kinect.

ESPN will be available to Gold members at no extra cost.

Oh yeah baby!

That's the other thing, I'm still rockin' the bottom of the line model "fat" PS3. Maybe I'll offer it up to my brother at a discounted price and get a new slim.
But is yours backwards compatible, then? That is kind of nice, since you can upscale your old games and such. My brother bought two 60GB PS3's solely for the backwards compatibility thing... Although in my case, I don't really mind owning a separate PS2, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying PS2s forever. Just too many good games that never really get old.

I wouldn't call it bottom of the line. The slim models have no PS2 backwards compatibility. I'll take that and the higher class look of the original PS3 design over the slim. I'm perfectly happy with my fat PS3.

I'm somewhat partial to Diablo. Best game ever made, imo.

img_54881_diablo3.jpg

I'm somewhat partial to Diablo. Best game ever made, imo.

img_54881_diablo3.jpg
Diablo II is better than the first one for the sole reason that you can't save every two steps. There was never really any suspense in the first one since you could always reload to where you were five seconds earlier.

I do enjoy the Diablo games, and really looking forward to the third one, whenever it actually comes out, but there's plenty of games I'd put ahead of them... Ninja Gaiden Black, Burnout Paradise, Mass Effect, Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy Tactics, X-Com: UFO Defense, Okami, and Super Smash Bros Melee, just to name a few off the top of my head.

This was the biggest news from E3, and has me VERY excited!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28ockMYatk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkiokqW09Pk

I was really into Steam stuff like Half Life Deathmatch and the single player HL2 games, TF2 etc. Those are cool but man I get too into competition.

I broke my gaming mouse but they are sending another one out to replace it- it's the Logitech MX 510 and it rawks.

Been playing FIFA World Cup online. I play like the USA did in the first half of the Slovenia match. i hate it, but I can't stop playing.

help!

I thought I'd relay a story of epic video game developer FAIL that I've only recently become aware of. It's kind of awe-inspiringly stupid. Not sure how many people know about this already, it's actually about six months old.

I had ended up playing some Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 with my brother when I was visiting him just before we both flew back to my parents' place for Christmas (I only live a few hours away from my brother by Amtrak, so it's easier for us to just meet up and head back on the same flight). In any case, there were a couple of downloadable characters, some of whom were pretty cool, like Juggernaut, Magneto, and Cable, among others.

So now it's six months later, and I'm thinking the price has dropped enough on it that I'm up for buying it now. Amazon didn't disappoint me, and I ordered it for $15.

But here's the bizarre thing. I discovered after buying it that Activision had removed all of MUA2's DLC, for both the PS3 and 360. I did a double and then a triple-take. Huh? This made no sense. They had already spent time developing the extra content, and it was not free content, but content you had to pay for. Why would you remove DLC that only stands to make you more money? What possible gain could there be? Does Activision just dislike making money? Moreover, this caused a serious problem with online multiplayer: people who had downloaded the extra characters could no longer play online with those who hadn't.

The only official statement Activision made was this: "The Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Downloadable Content was a limited time offer, expiring on December 31, 2009." They made this statement on January 7th, 2010, a week after the content expired. There was no indication of the content being for a limited time anywhere before this date. In another classy move, they still list the characters as playable on their official site, and make no mention to the unsuspecting buyer that the content is no longer available. There's even achievements listed on both systems which require the additional characters... which it appeared no one who had not downloaded the content before the end of 2009 could ever complete. To this day, Activision still has never explained the removal of the content.

Still, it looks like there may be a happy ending. There are recent reports that Activision has agreed to make the content available again until the end of 2010... they are trying to get it back up before the 4th of July. This announcement came from an admin of a Marvel forum only three days ago after six months of radio silence from Activision on the issue.

Anyway, I just thought I'd relay this bit of epic developer fail. I really just don't get it. They really created a lot of bad will for themselves doing this... I can't imagine that it wouldn't have been better to either keep the content available or, failing that, at least give some sort of explanation that people would understand. The only thing I can think of is that it might have something to do with the Disney buyout. But I'm really not sure why that would be an issue for content already released. In any case, it's never a good idea to have rabid Marvel fans screaming at you for six months, many of whom had gotten the game for Christmas and then found themselves unable to download the DLC. Talk about your stupid moves...

Behold, one of the greatest game conferences in exsistence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKMqdMWNec

It's worth watching all of it.