What's new

Video Game Thread

The cake tastes great, prodigy. Totally worth it in the end. One of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.

The cake tastes great, prodigy. Totally worth it in the end. One of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.
I too have played Portal multiple times. Amazing game, just too bad it was so short. Sounds like Portal 2 is supposed to be a full length game, and that trailer looks very promising. I'm psyched for it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oSlZLXKDQA

Anyone else hear of Singularity? I can't tell if I want to play it or not.

I too have played Portal multiple times. Amazing game, just too bad it was so short. Sounds like Portal 2 is supposed to be a full length game, and that trailer looks very promising. I'm psyched for it already.

Some of the puzzles they showed off at E3 blew my mind. I couldn't even figure out how they were going about things. Very excited for what looks to be a good challenge.

I've recently been playing Puzzle Quest 2. I downloaded from X-Box Live for $15, although it's also available on Nintendo DS. I'd been looking forward to this one for some time after playing the hell out of the first Puzzle Quest.

If you've never heard of these games, they're basically Bejeweled on drugs. You're still presented with a board of various gems and trying to make rows of three or greater, but it's in the context of a fantasy RPG. Each character class, including Barbarian, Sorcerer, Templar, and Assassin, has various spells they can cast to manipulate the board and damage their opponent. It ends up playing like a cross between the aforementioned Bejeweled and Magic (the card game), and throw in a basic loot system, where you can pick up different weapons and armor. It might sound weird, bit it all works together really well.

Anyway, the sequel is kind of a mixed bag. Some of the basic board mechanics that have been tweaked were good ideas: gold and experience have been removed as gems, and the new system of action points and weapons really adds an interesting element. But you're also more limited in your spells (you can carry five at a time now instead of seven, and there are much fewer spells to learn from enemies). In general, Puzzle Quest 2 feels more polished than its original, but also somewhat dumbed-down. Which is not to say it's bad. Either game is a smart download for $15.

While I'm at it, I should also mentioned that I've only just now discovered Galactic Civilizations 2. It's pretty much what it sounds like: a Civ game, but in a sci-fi setting. Really solid stuff. And to my (pleasant) surprise, the overall tone of the game is comedy and self-mockery. For instance, there's a way to beat the game with a technological victory, in which all the clocks in your civilization begin flashing the number "42." Yes, you heard me right. There are even some multiple-choice decisions for random events that use memorable movie quotes, like one in which you have to decide what to do with a native species of dangerous animals on a planet you're about to colonize -- the third ("evil") option is: "Dust off, and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

I wouldn't call it bottom of the line. The slim models have no PS2 backwards compatibility. I'll take that and the higher class look of the original PS3 design over the slim. I'm perfectly happy with my fat PS3.

At least until it gets the YLOD.... It's nice to have backwards compatibility until you get the YLOD and have to go through the pain of fixing it. I had mine fixed professionally and it didn't it again 3 weeks later. Then I fixed it myself and same thing. One huge reason to get the slim.

I just got done playing God of War 3. This game was insanely pretty, but much too short. I think I beat it within a week and traded it back in for Borderlands and Oblivion. BTW Borderlands is seriously just like Fallout 3, insanely similar in plot (if there is one at all) and gameplay.

Here's one I'm waiting for, pre-ordered the special edition:
Fable-3.jpg

At least until it gets the YLOD.... It's nice to have backwards compatibility until you get the YLOD and have to go through the pain of fixing it. I had mine fixed professionally and it didn't it again 3 weeks later. Then I fixed it myself and same thing. One huge reason to get the slim.
I have the older model (about 3 and change years old) I've never had YLOD yet but it has froze/locked up on me several times BUT my disk drive just crapped out, haven't taken it apart to see if it is just the reader or if its stopped spinning. I'm just asking if anybody else has had this issue and where to get parts, I'm going to start looking shortly but thought it couldn't hurt to see if anybody else has had this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0&has_verified=1

Games I'm looking forward to..

Dead Rising 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Mafia 2
NBA 2k11
DJ Hero 2
Max Payne 3

Fallout: New Vegas

I've been finding that my inevitable pattern with the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games is that I buy it, beat it, then 6 months later they come out with DLC. Then I want to play it again for the DLC, but they just aren't as fun the 2nd time around.

Soooooo... think I'm gonna wait until the inevitable GOTY Edition with all the DLC packed in. After all, it'll give the user community more time to make their own must-have mods.