What's new

Walker Kessler’s Defense Thread

Hardy has figured out that Walker is most effective against mid tier players so he limits his minutes to those types and then tries to spread the more talented lineups we play against out with our spacing bigs.
Incorrect. In 2 of the last 3 games he put Kessler in and left him for HUGE stretches in the second half because he was too effective and the team was playing too well to take him out. Didn't limit his minutes and left him out there against the opponent starters

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Incorrect. In 2 of the last 3 games he put Kessler in and left him for HUGE stretches in the second half because he was too effective and the team was playing too well to take him out. Didn't limit his minutes and left him out there against the opponent starters

Yeah, if he's really feeling it you can leave him in and roll the dice.

This was a very well timed thread. Kessler had 4 blocks in the first quarter tonight.

This was a very well timed thread. Kessler had 4 blocks in the first quarter tonight.
Finished with 6. I think they missed two though.
Also had a team high(again) +15

Collins with a team low minus 12. Only players not in the plus for the jazz were Collins, Ochai, Dunn, and KO (KO was exactly even at 0)

I'm a huge fan of Kessler, and I promise I'm not trying to ruin your thread, but what is the offensive rating of the last 11 teams we played?

Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking, but feels like we have mostly played really bad offensive teams over the last 11 games.
Those 11 teams averaged for 113.6. Two top 10 offenses, 6 mid 10 and 3 bottom 10.

The numbers are a bit sugarcoated by schedule since we didnt play any of the top 5 supercharged offenses on that stretch and few of the cupcakes (Pistons, Blazers and Spurs), but its not dramatic really.... since its balanced out by only 4 of those 11 games being played at home.

Those 11 teams averaged for 113.6. Two top 10 offenses, 6 mid 10 and 3 bottom 10.

The numbers are a bit sugarcoated by schedule since we didnt play any of the top 5 supercharged offenses on that stretch and few of the cupcakes (Pistons, Blazers and Spurs), but its not dramatic really.... since its balanced out by only 4 of those 11 games being played at home.

I challenge you to find an easier 11 game defensive stretch on our schedule this year.

I challenge you to find an easier 11 game defensive stretch on our schedule this year.
Are you trying to diminish and downplay our improvement or what is your play here? You asked for a number, I gave you one.

Providing an easier defensive 11 game stretch is super easy as we have already had that, by A MASSIVE margin. Only 1 above .500 team in this stretch, and ZERO top 10 offenses, with FIVE games against BOTTOM 3 OFFENSES. This is also 6 home 5 away stretch.

Sat, Nov 11@MemphisMemphis
Wed, Nov 15vsPortlandPortland
Sat, Nov 18vsPhoenixPhoenix
Mon, Nov 20vsPhoenixPhoenix
Wed, Nov 22@Los AngelesLos Angeles
Thu, Nov 23@PortlandPortland
Sun, Nov 26vsNew OrleansNew Orleans
Tue, Nov 28vsNew OrleansNew Orleans
Thu, Nov 30@MemphisMemphis
Fri, Dec 1@MinnesotaMinnesota
Sun, Dec 3vsPortlandPortland

You could also cut that stretch to strat from the previous Memphis game (dropping last 5 and adding the previous 5), and it would still be easier than the one @Elizah Huge was talking about.

Interesting and related information about the 8-3 stretch from NBA.com Power Rankings writeup:
Jazz rank eighth defensively over this 8-3 stretch, which started when the Jazz started playing a lot of zone, including a good amount of box-and-one. For the season, they’ve allowed 0.95 points per zone possession, a mark which ranks third among 12 teams that have played at least 75 total possessions of zone, according to Synergy tracking.

As much as people hate the zone, 0.95 points per zone possession is a fabulous number.

He’s coming off the bench.
While I agree that is part of the problem/cause, Clarkson also came off the bench and had well over 30 minutes

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Are you trying to diminish and downplay our improvement or what is your play here? You asked for a number, I gave you one.

Providing an easier defensive 11 game stretch is super easy as we have already had that, by A MASSIVE margin. Only 1 above .500 team in this stretch, and ZERO top 10 offenses, with FIVE games against BOTTOM 3 OFFENSES. This is also 6 home 5 away stretch.

Sat, Nov 11@MemphisMemphis
Wed, Nov 15vsPortlandPortland
Sat, Nov 18vsPhoenixPhoenix
Mon, Nov 20vsPhoenixPhoenix
Wed, Nov 22@Los AngelesLos Angeles
Thu, Nov 23@PortlandPortland
Sun, Nov 26vsNew OrleansNew Orleans
Tue, Nov 28vsNew OrleansNew Orleans
Thu, Nov 30@MemphisMemphis
Fri, Dec 1@MinnesotaMinnesota
Sun, Dec 3vsPortlandPortland

You could also cut that stretch to strat from the previous Memphis game (dropping last 5 and adding the previous 5), and it would still be easier than the one @Elizah Huge was talking about.

Well done, that does look worse.

My only point is that it's easier to look good at defense against bad offenses. I think Kessler is great and appreciate how much he means to our team defense.

Well done, that does look worse.

My only point is that it's easier to look good at defense against bad offenses. I think Kessler is great and appreciate how much he means to our team defense.
I get that but the defensive improvement has been clear. I said the other day that getting better at zone rotations has likely been the key, and looking at those zone numbers it feels like a valid reason.

Why the low minutes?
Hardy is switching his closing lineups a lot. He wants to start with better offensive players to get the flow of the offense going, so he goes with Collins there.

Kessler has just recently had a 12 minute 4th Q (@TOR) and a 0 minute 4th Q (vs MIA) in two wins. Against Miami KO was super hot and Hardy rode him and used Collins/Tech/Lauri with him as that was working. We won that quarter by 8 points. Against Toronto, Hardy played Kessler, Lauri, Ochai, JC and Dunn for all of the 12 minutes basically, and we won that quarter by 20 points.

Last edited:
Interesting and related information about the 8-3 stretch from NBA.com Power Rankings writeup:

As much as people hate the zone, 0.95 points per zone possession is a fabulous number.
Because people are incredibly reactionary to lowlights.

Hardy is switching his closing lineups a lot. He wants to start with better offensive players to get the flow of the offense going, so he goes with Collins there.

Kessler has just recently had a 12 minute 4th Q (@TOR) and a 0 minute 4th Q (vs MIA) in two wins. Against Miami KO was super hot and Hardy rode him and used Collins/Tech/Lauri with him as that was working. We won that quarter by 8 points. Against Toronto, Hardy played Kessler, Lauri, Ochai, JC and Dunn for all of the 12 minutes basically, and we won that quarter by 20 points.
Do you know how many minutes Kessler played in the 4th last night? Seemed like most of them.

Kessler with 6 blocks last night. He’s averaging 3.3 BPG in only 25.1 MPG over our last 12 games. He’s +118 in this same span. He’s been wildly effective.
Cy gonna hate this post lol. Its about numbers AND kessler doing well. Double whammy