What's new

Walker Kessler Thoughts?

Playing the veterans over the young guys has literally 0 benefit for the franchise long term.
Bro, do you think Frank Layden is going to give the okay to wearing his number?

I know I will be laughed at but his hands remind me of a poor man's version of Karl Malone. That fast break with his hands, wow, that was Malone like. And the fast moving hands near the basket is pretty good. And he moves quick like Malone did...but he is just physically weak. So I think he will be playable on the defense as a drop big and he has hints of really special hands, running the floor and post work on the offense that could make him a really good starter on offense.

I think if he gets a lot of time, he may get 5th place in rookie of the year voting because I think the Jazz will rely on him heavily. Honestly, he should start at the center spot if we want to win games, but yeah, bring him off the bench and give him lots of time.

Last edited:
This kid has the potential to be pretty good. I think Andrew Bogut is a very real comparison for him on both ends of the court.

This kid has the potential to be pretty good. I think Andrew Bogut is a very real comparison for him on both ends of the court.
Ooh, yes Bogut. But he seems quicker up the floor and damn those hands are special for a rookie. If they get better, which they will, he is really good.

Light on his feet for his size. Seems to know how to play basketball which is great. Seems to have great hands catching in traffic... big AF. I had been scarred by Bradley and Doke (who has been productive at times but can't stay healthy)... my hopes were low on Walker... Think he becomes the starter at some point this season if he keeps improving. Not sure he has amazing upside but like a Zubac/Hartenstein/Poeltl type has some value.

Light on his feet for his size. Seems to know how to play basketball which is great. Seems to have great hands catching in traffic... big AF. I had been scarred by Bradley and Doke (who has been productive at times but can't stay healthy)... my hopes were low on Walker... Think he becomes the starter at some point this season if he keeps improving. Not sure he has amazing upside but like a Zubac/Hartenstein/Poeltl type has some value.
Kind of wild Bradley has made it 6 years in the NBA now. I wonder if he will do enough to the 7th year after his current contract expires.

Jazz Fanz on Walker Kessler after first preseason game ever. "I'm really underwhelmed by Kesslers defense. He blocked 4 shots a game in college. He just isn't translating to the NBA!"

Walker Kessler in his 3rd preseason game: Blocks 4 shots. . .

I like Kessler.

Is he going to be a star in this current wing driven league? No.

However it's clear he belongs and should only continue to get better. I mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the only guy on this current squad that is still a Jazzman in 4-5 years.

I'm loving the growth of Walker. Dudes got game! If he develops a 3 point shot, and can develop some post moves he's going to carve out a long career in the league.

Too bad we didn't sign Robin Lopez to help Kessler with developing a post hook.

I'm loving the growth of Walker. Dudes got game! If he develops a 3 point shot, and can develop some post moves he's going to carve out a long career in the league.

I think the first area of development should be the Rudy Gobert screen action. I feel like he could be just as successful as Gobert here because he is even a better target on screened mismatch because with his nice hands the roll pass doesn't need to be as precise. There were only a few players on the Jazz that could put that pass exactly where Rudy needed it.

He’s got the 3 point stroke - used it in college. You’re right about the post moves and particularly the hook shot. People seem to forget that Kareem’s sky hook was the most feared and unstoppable shot in the history of the game.

He’s got the 3 point stroke - used it in college. You’re right about the post moves and particularly the hook shot. People seem to forget that Kareem’s sky hook was the most feared and unstoppable shot in the history of the game.
He does not have a 3pt stroke, at least not more than any NBA center who can shoot them in practice and not in games. His form is ugly and he can barely make his FTs.

I think the first area of development should be the Rudy Gobert screen action. I feel like he could be just as successful as Gobert here because he is even a better target on screened mismatch because with his nice hands the roll pass doesn't need to be as precise. There were only a few players on the Jazz that could put that pass exactly where Rudy needed it.
You think he can be just as successful as one of the best screeners in NBA history....

I saw Kessler bobble a pass on a roll and get blocked at the rim on a dunk attempt by Gorgi Dieng and we have people who think he can match Gobert as a screener...

He does not have a 3pt stroke, at least not more than any NBA center who can shoot them in practice and not in games. His form is ugly and he can barely make his FTs.
Wow, three random responses across two threads in the span of eleven minutes - that must be some kind of a record!
But hey now, flowers candy and a card next time or we're done.....and I mean it! :mad:

You think he can be just as successful as one of the best screeners in NBA history....
No you pedantic moron. I said he needs to train in the screen and roll. He could be as successful, not better, in that he has better hands to balance out whatever deficiencies he has in setting the screen. It is unlikely he will ever set a screen like Rudy, but we should set hom on that path.

Are you going to argue Rudy has better hands than Kessler? Because I only need 3 preseason games to make that determination.