What's new

Walker Kessler Thoughts?

No you pedantic moron. I said he needs to train in the screen and roll. He could be as successful, not better, in that he has better hands to balance out whatever deficiencies he has in setting the screen. It is unlikely he will ever set a screen like Rudy, but we should set hom on that path.

Are you going to argue Rudy has better hands than Kessler? Because I only need 3 preseason games to make that determination.
Based on? He's dropped passes and has had the ball poked away from him. Yes, he has made some good catches and body control, but so did Rudy. Rudy's hands were never that bad and Kessler doesnt have some god tier hands that will somehow give him the ability to be equal to that of one of the best screen and roller in NBA history.

View: https://youtu.be/USSjA5P4It8?t=145

It's also funny when people are like "You are hating or being too critical too early on in the process" but then will turn around and declare that a prospect has the ability to reach the level of a GOAT after the same amount of time.

It's also funny when people are like "You are hating or being too critical too early on in the process" but then will turn around and declare that a prospect has the ability to reach the level of a GOAT after the same amount of time.

Sigh,

OK, let's do this. Setting a damn screen correctly is not some intrinsic skill you are born with. It is mainly a product of three things: being large, having an offensive scheme that uses screens, and being willing to put in the dirty work that is generally thankless. I mean look at the list of the best screen assist players in the league over the last few years:

2021-22: Gobert (6.7), Poeltl (5.9), Sabonis (5.3), Ayton (5.3), Nurkic (5.0)
2020-21: Sabonis (6.5), Gobert (6.1), Ayton (5.6), Poeltl (5.5), Wendell Carter Jr, (4.7)
2019-20: Sabonis (7.0), Gobert (6.9), Bam Adebayo (5.1), Vucevic (5.0), Adams (4.8)
2018-19: Gobert (5.9), Cody Zeller (5.4), Tristan Thompson (5.3), Nurkic (5.0), Jarrett Allen (4.7)
2017-18: Gobert (6.2), Adams (4.9), Andre Drummond (4.7), Marcin Gortat (4.5), Nikola Jokic (4.3)
2016-17: Gortat (6.2), Gobert (6.2), Zeller (5.9), DeAndre Jordan (5.5). Thompson (4.8)

Other than the appearances of Drummond and Vucevic, who surprised me, that list looks a lot like would think it would. Do you think it is possible that that a long bodied 7 footer with a decent frame and work ethic could possible equal the output of a Vuc, Gortat, or Cody Zeller? Of course he can as long as the coach runs the action for him and he puts in the work. There is a reason that people made fun of Locke for his screen assist fixation. It's a hustle stat and shows something about a player, but it is a secondary indicator and doesn't really demonstrate the worth of a player like the above list shows.

Now as far as the "Well Rudy's hands could end up being just as good!!" I think you will find as many people on that island with you as you did with your "Jazz are going to keep Donovan for the season" island. And you will be just as wrong. And I love Gobert, was really one of the first to believe in him, and I have the receipts. His hands are NOTHING like Kessler's, especially this early in his career (Rudy did improve.)

Sigh,

OK, let's do this. Setting a damn screen correctly is not some intrinsic skill you are born with. It is mainly a product of three things: being large, having an offensive scheme that uses screens, and being willing to put in the dirty work that is generally thankless. I mean look at the list of the best screen assist players in the league over the last few years:

2021-22: Gobert (6.7), Poeltl (5.9), Sabonis (5.3), Ayton (5.3), Nurkic (5.0)
2020-21: Sabonis (6.5), Gobert (6.1), Ayton (5.6), Poeltl (5.5), Wendell Carter Jr, (4.7)
2019-20: Sabonis (7.0), Gobert (6.9), Bam Adebayo (5.1), Vucevic (5.0), Adams (4.8)
2018-19: Gobert (5.9), Cody Zeller (5.4), Tristan Thompson (5.3), Nurkic (5.0), Jarrett Allen (4.7)
2017-18: Gobert (6.2), Adams (4.9), Andre Drummond (4.7), Marcin Gortat (4.5), Nikola Jokic (4.3)
2016-17: Gortat (6.2), Gobert (6.2), Zeller (5.9), DeAndre Jordan (5.5). Thompson (4.8)

Other than the appearances of Drummond and Vucevic, who surprised me, that list looks a lot like would think it would. Do you think it is possible that that a long bodied 7 footer with a decent frame and work ethic could possible equal the output of a Vuc, Gortat, or Cody Zeller? Of course he can as long as the coach runs the action for him and he puts in the work. There is a reason that people made fun of Locke for his screen assist fixation. It's a hustle stat and shows something about a player, but it is a secondary indicator and doesn't really demonstrate the worth of a player like the above list shows.

Now as far as the "Well Rudy's hands could end up being just as good!!" I think you will find as many people on that island with you as you did with your "Jazz are going to keep Donovan for the season" island. And you will be just as wrong. And I love Gobert, was really one of the first to believe in him, and I have the receipts. His hands are NOTHING like Kessler's, especially this early in his career (Rudy did improve.)
I'm very confused when you say screen assist dont show worth then you say the above list (which is screen assist?) does show worth. I'm assuming some kind of typo?

Last edited:
How many of those guys were top 20 that year? Just the one, and it wasn't really for his screening.
Again, I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make is because your post lacks clear language when you contradict yourself in the same sentence. Are you valuing screen assist as a stat or not?

Screens are an intrinsic skill. The way you roll off a screen, your willingness to set hard screens, your ability to avoid moving screens, etc. It's a very skilled based thing. Not everyone who is a big bodied wide player is a good screener. It's a skill that has a lot of minute details as to what makes it successful and you arent going to find a single stat that shows all of that.

Yes, you can certainly learn and get better at it, as you can with any skill, but part of it is just having it not having it, and no one in the NBA has it like Rudy has it.

You don’t know anything about Walker then. I literally watched every game he played last year. He’s not a 45% from 3 guy, but he damn sure can shoot the 3.
Kessler, Olynyk, Lauri, Vando, Conley or Clarkson lineup confirmed. Hey it's 4 shooters and Vando can do the point forward and guard the point of attack. Go for it. :)

You don’t know anything about Walker then. I literally watched every game he played last year. He’s not a 45% from 3 guy, but he damn sure can shoot the 3.
So Kessler did not shoot 59% from the ft line and 20% from 3?

He can damn sure shoot it I tell you what rootin tootin gonna kiss my cousin and watch some bama football I tell you what boy

I would venture that based on his apparent early progress (keeping the ball up etc.) that initial appraisals will have to be revised. Some speculated a career as a journeyman backup with Poetl like output being his ceiling. It’s one game, but I’d say that Kessler got the best of that matchup. Also, he’s light years ahead of Gobert when he first came in the league. I’ve raised my initial impression to exciting prospect!

I would venture that based on his apparent early progress (keeping the ball up etc.) that initial appraisals will have to be revised. Some speculated a career as a journeyman backup with Poetl like output being his ceiling. It’s one game, but I’d say that Kessler got the best of that matchup. Also, he’s light years ahead of Gobert when he first came in the league. I’ve raised my initial impression to exciting prospect!
I'm pretty excited to see if we have some legit build able role player pieces on this roster. Definitely so far so good with Kessler who looks like he has the potential to be a solid all around big. I think we will view THT in that same mold in a few months. A young solid role player guard that is young enough to be part of a 3yr rebuild. Hopefully Ochai gets an opportunity this year to show if he also fits in that mold. If by the end of the year we have one of the worst records in the league but have 4 or 5 young guys that show potential as long term role players then I would view this season as a major success. Then the key is hitting big on at least one of our high lottery picks over the next few years. Any star we get is obviously coming through the draft.

I'm pretty excited to see if we have some legit build able role player pieces on this roster. Definitely so far so good with Kessler who looks like he has the potential to be a solid all around big. I think we will view THT in that same mold in a few months. A young solid role player guard that is young enough to be part of a 3yr rebuild. Hopefully Ochai gets an opportunity this year to show if he also fits in that mold. If by the end of the year we have one of the worst records in the league but have 4 or 5 young guys that show potential as long term role players then I would view this season as a major success. Then the key is hitting big on at least one of our high lottery picks over the next few years. Any star we get is obviously coming through the draft.
That seems to me like a well reasoned methodical perspective, though perhaps a bit too spartan for my liking. Call me unrealistic and giddy but I expect to definitely be back in the playoffs by next season. And, I expect to not only have developed role players but stars as well. My candidates for that last category would be Markkanen, Kessler, Sexton and Beasley though I wouldn't mind a few surprises along the way with the others.

Rudy has the greatest hands of all time? hmmm......

kessler has shown the ability to catch and dunk. and block shots against summer league guys. don't get me wrong, i really liked kessler coming out of college and have to think he'll catch up to the speed of the game and be fairly effective as a rim protector, but good grief the guy really hasn't done much other than catch and dunk.

So Kessler did not shoot 59% from the ft line and 20% from 3?

He can damn sure shoot it I tell you what rootin tootin gonna kiss my cousin and watch some bama football I tell you what boy
The biggest whiny bitch on this board talking ****. That’s hilarious. Your fruity *** wouldn’t last a day in Alabama.

Kessler showed it again. I said it before I will say it now. Malone like hands and the ability to run and finish. It's a poor version of Malone but even a poor version is great. He is a weakling but if he can get stronger. He will demands minutes if we want to win.

Kessler showed it again. I said it before I will say it now. Malone like hands and the ability to run and finish. It's a poor version of Malone but even a poor version is great. He is a weakling but if he can get stronger. He will demands minutes if we want to win.
Kanter and Gobert both totally transformed their bodies while with the Jazz. Hopefully the team has a similar plan for Kessler. I think his potential is really high IF he works to get into better shape and become more stout. I’ve liked what I see so far.

Considering the team is in tank mode, I’d start him this year and put him right into the lineup. KO can come off the bench.