What's new

We are over-passing

The Midnight

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
I think these guys are so concerned about sharing the ball that they sometimes forget to just 'play'.

During the OKC game tonight I saw:

- Favors driving to the basket and made a pass to Kanter (who turns it over).

- Kanter guarded by Jackson, passed to Favors who turned it over.

- Hayward made a nice dribble into the lane - should have just went up an shoot it, but he passed into the congested paint which resulted in turnover.

- etc, etc.

Yeah I guess over the past few games I have noticed some players over passing (Hayward & Favors come to mind). But it would be nice if Burks and Booker actually started passing. Those two could have had so many assists had they just made the extra pass instead chucking it up.

This is awful. Over-passing? Srsly?

That's like you taking too long of break from JF.

Yeah I guess over the past few games I have noticed some players over passing(Hayward & Favors come to mind) . But it would be nice if Burks and Booker actually started passing. Those two could have had so many assists had they just made the extra pass instead chucking it up.

EXACTLY. Hayward in particular I think should be more aggressive.

Rep'd.

I agree, On this team, hayward needs to take 18-20 shots. He's in the low teens most games.

Yes yes yes. He needs to take over more often. I dunno if it's fatigue or what but he seems to take plays off way to often. With his abilities we need him handling the ball & attacking much more IMO.

The ball movement needs to be fast and include a lot of passes. The reason some passes look pointless is that the team is not experienced enough to read the opposition defense's movement and intention, read where they will give up the space. They just move the ball on a scale every position because coach tells them to. A little like a peewee team to be honest, but there is no other way to get to a state of Spurs kind of ball movement if they are ever thinking of reaching that level.

The ball movement needs to be fast and include a lot of passes. The reason some passes look pointless is that the team is not experienced enough to read the opposition defense's movement and intention, read where they will give up the space. They just move the ball on a scale every position because coach tells them to. A little like a peewee team to be honest, but there is no other way to get to a state of Spurs kind of ball movement if they are ever thinking of reaching that level.

In this game, There were three separate cuts wide open to the basket that the big at the top of the key couldn't / wouldn't pass into. We need high iq bigs for this to work

In this game, There were three separate cuts wide open to the basket that the big at the top of the key couldn't / wouldn't pass into. We need high iq bigs for this to work

Well, yeah. Although it's a dang rarity when it comes to legit passer bigmen, everyone has to be involved in that kind of passing. You can leave one of your bigmen out of the passing festival, if your backcourt is oversizing the opposition so that they will not have too much trouble passing inside to the open man whence they are double teamed and they will not turn it over much.

Rudy Gobert tweeted;

"Toughness and solidarity and we'll be good..talent is not the issue"

And at the NBA level, this always sounded pretty accurate to me. I don't believe in extreme defining gaps between the individual talents of the teams and I believe every team can beat the other one night depending on many different factors.

And to me, general high basketball IQ of the team members, an ice vein strong character and good system coach and of course a well set team chemistry are the keys to team success.

Or you can always go Kobe or Melo on every other team and watch your team lose.

David Locke made a point the other night to say the jazz lead the league in passes per game, while the Pelicans were last in the league in passes per game, but the teams had nearly identical offensive ratings. It's not the pass or lack thereof that makes the offense work.

Funny how dismissive most responses are of the issue when OP is clearly correct. Several times a game, a wide open player will make "the extra pass" to a less open player for a contested shot. Exum does that on a good percentage of his possessions, typically with less than 5 seconds left on the clock. But I'm generally okay with it. It is obvious that Quin wants them to approach the game with as selfless a mentality as possible, even it that means they waste a number of possessions each game due to over-passing. I think with time, the players will begin to develop a better feel of when the extra pass makes sense, and when it doesn't.

Patience people.

Funny how dismissive most responses are of the issue when OP is clearly correct. Several times a game, a wide open player will make "the extra pass" to a less open player for a contested shot. Exum does that on a good percentage of his possessions, typically with less than 5 seconds left on the clock. But I'm generally okay with it. It is obvious that Quin wants them to approach the game with as selfless a mentality as possible, even it that means they waste a number of possessions each game due to over-passing. I think with time, the players will begin to develop a better feel of when the extra pass makes sense, and when it doesn't.

Patience people.

Agreed. Quin once said that "We're giving up GREAT shots to get GOOD shots". That was true too many times last night especially in that crucial 3rd quarter when we needed to keep up with the scoring. It looked like we were too afraid to take that GREAT shots out there.

I remembered 1 time Hayward made a nice dribble into the paint and instead of confidently rising up to take that shot he passes into the congested restricted area only for it to be turned over. He needs to rise up and take that wide open shot!!!