What's new

What do you think happens with Clarkson?

What do you think happens with JC in free agency?

• Total voters
Wow, he really likes houses.. haha..
I totally get that. If I had the money to do it, I’d have houses all over. We’re looking at getting into some real estate investing and we’ve looked at places in Hawaii, Texas, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Arkansas, Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin. We’ve also looked at places in Japan, Italy and France. If I had NBA money, my family would have houses all over the world.

I think he's playing somewhere else this coming season. It's pretty clear they want Agbaji in that starting role and not sure JC will want to take a step back to 6th man, although I could see him do that on a team that had an established SG like the Jazz used to have with Don. I thought there was still a chance he could come back until they drafted 2 more similar sized shooters in the draft last week. Maybe the Collins trade changes things but my gut says he will be playing somewhere else and Jazz will help him in a s&t if it doesn't require them to take back a bad contract in the process.

FWIW I'm not an Agbaji hater but I'm not a super fan either. I think he plays a bit smaller than his size and he's not much of a playmaker for a guard either. His defense is ok but there is definitely room for improvement there too. I also think both THT and Sexton could be traded by the deadline. I want THT to do well but there really isn't much place for an inefficient guard who can't shoot in today's NBA. OTOH Sexton is a very efficient scorer but not the playmaker they will likely need at lead guard especially since the frontcourt is really weak in that area. (fwiw it's too bad Jarace couldn't have fallen one more slot in the draft). There are always teams that need additional scoring punch in their backcourt and Sexton is signed to a reasonably team friendly contract so they could potentially get an asset out of him, but he needs to stay healthy. Alot of teams will roll out lineups with several playmakers but if Jazz are going to roll out Kessler/Collins(or Hendricks)/Lauri/Agbaji they might need to find an elite playmaker for that lineup to be successful long term.

i also want him to stay as nobody else can unseat him at sg right now. (maybe later). last year was adjustment period. imagine all your life you come off the bench play 25 minutes to starter gig at 35-40 minutes with new coach, new system, he did pretty good and year 2 he s gonna be more comfortable. JC to JC alley-oop is going to be lit.

but i think he signs with the spurs because he bought a mansion there lol. 2-3 years then call it a career.
Agree 100% and yet I hope you're right about S.A. I love the guy, I really do, he's got it all - great teammate, great competitor! With George and Sensabaugh coming in we really need to find minutes for development sake. I'd also like to think that we can keep Dunn around for awhile. But wherever Clarkson goes, I will always root for him - he's one of the good guys in my book!

Actually having Clarkson and Sensabaugh in the 2nd unit together could mean hell for the opponent.

Both are walking buckets.

The Jazz would win less if Clarkson is gone. More if he is present. His passing last year was underrated and would be highly valued this year. Anyway, love the guy regardless. If he finds a great situation for himself then take it. The timeline for the Jazz is still a couple years away.

Jazz are going to let him opt out and test the market. Even though Danny Ainge is cut-throat, I think the Jazz will do right by JC. If his best option is here, I’m sure they’d love to have him back. If it’s elsewhere, they’ll let him go find the best deal.
There's a reason they call it a Player Option homie... The team's feelings on the matter ultimately aren't of consequence. That said, you are right in that Utah would try and do right by Jordan if he wanted to get somewhere he couldn't normally and I think we'd respect that.

The more I think about it, the more I think he opts in, no extension. He starts at SG this season. We want the rookies to play, but looks like the Jazz will try to win some games this season. Just like there was no hesitation to "block" Hendricks there won't be hesitation to block Keyonte.

Im good with this. I want playoffs next year

There's a reason they call it a Player Option homie... The team's feelings on the matter ultimately aren't of consequence. That said, you are right in that Utah would try and do right by Jordan if he wanted to get somewhere he couldn't normally and I think we'd respect that.
As opposed to just working out an opt in and extend before the deadline to do so. My point was that I think that both sides are willing to have him test the market before committing to go their separate ways.

Kind of shocked people think he's going to outright sign somewhere else when Utah held onto him. I dont think Danny is just going to let an asset go when he clearly wants to use him.

As opposed to just working out an opt in and extend before the deadline to do so. My point was that I think that both sides are willing to have him test the market before committing to go their separate ways.
His Opt-in date is before the opening of FA. If it happens due to "testing the waters", someone is tampering and being stupid about it.

Everyone tampers, shut up.
miley-cyrus-make-me.gif

His Opt-in date is before the opening of FA. If it happens due to "testing the waters", someone is tampering and being stupid about it.
I don’t doubt that tampering happens, but nobody knows what the current market is going to look like for free agents this year. JC could get squeezed, or he could find an opportunity to get paid quite a bit more than the Jazz are willing to commit. Sometimes, it’s in the best interests of both sides to let it play out and actually gauge what a players true value on the open market is before making a big decision. That’s where I think the Jazz and JC are at right now.

I personally think he leaves, which is why I was advocating trading him in a bigger deal at the beginning of the season.

I don’t doubt that tampering happens, but nobody knows what the current market is going to look like for free agents this year. JC could get squeezed, or he could find an opportunity to get paid quite a bit more than the Jazz are willing to commit. Sometimes, it’s in the best interests of both sides to let it play out and actually gauge what a players true value on the open market is before making a big decision. That’s where I think the Jazz and JC are at right now.
How can someone test the market when they are under contract?

How can someone test the market when they are under contract?
Maybe I wasn’t clear. I think both sides have decided to put a hold on negotiations until AFTER Jordan Clarkson opts out to test the market and then see if it’s in everyone’s best interests to move on. . .or if the Jazz offer is competitive and they work out an extension.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I think both sides have decided to put a hold on negotiations until AFTER Jordan Clarkson opts out to test the market and then see if it’s in everyone’s best interests to move on. . .or if the Jazz offer is competitive and they work out an extension.
Okay, that makes sense. Thinking it was a straight Opt-in in your scenario.

Okay, that makes sense. Thinking it was a straight Opt-in in your scenario.
Jazz still retain his Bird Rights until they renounce them and eliminate the cap hold. There’s no point in doing that unless JC intends to sign somewhere else outright, or they have a high salary target they want to chase instead. I’m not sure how feasible that is. . . but I guess we’ll see. I think Utah wants him back, have a number in mind that they’re willing to pay and if he can get substantially more they’ll wish him well and pivot to a different strategy.

I haven't checked all the numbers, but I think if Clarkson does not opt in we pretty much have to spend the same amount on someone else to hit the salary floor. Ryan is not going to miss out on that juicy tax payment. That's a lot of golfing trips.

Anyone run the numbers on this?