What's new

What does Dante get in Free Agency?

I think people are really underestimating the Jazz's opinion of Exum. It seems like they are still really high on him, and I expect some people are going to be pretty shocked with what he ends up getting. I will honestly be kind of surprised if it's less than 9-10 per for at least 3 years. If I had to guess, I think he will end up with 11/12mil a year for 3 or 4 years. I won't be shocked if it ends up higher, either.

The flaw in this logic is that the Jazz are in a position to let the market dictate his cost are they not? Who is going to offer him a contract like that? Legitimately wondering.

The flaw in this logic is that the Jazz are in a position to let the market dictate his cost are they not? Who is going to offer him a contract like that? Legitimately wondering.
I mean, it's not really logic - just my guess. I don't really have any idea how GMs are viewing him, but based on the Jazz's comments about him (a podcast interview with QS early in the season sticks out most) I'm anticipating him getting a decent contract offer. Ultimately, it's just a hunch.

I mean, it's not really logic - just my guess. I don't really have any idea how GMs are viewing him, but based on the Jazz's comments about him (a podcast interview with QS early in the season sticks out most) I'm anticipating him getting a decent contract offer. Ultimately, it's just a hunch.

I'm in total agreement that the Jazz like him, and I agree with them. But it just doesn't make sense to offer him a contract that nobody else would. He's going to hit the market and get the market's worth.

With that being said, it helps the Jazz to sign him quickly as his cap hold is massive, but the numbers you threw out were close to his cap hold.

I'd be surprised anything over the MLE per year.

I don't know if I would say Exum can't shoot.

Last year he shot 29% from 3, which, is pretty dang bad. Look closer, and pre-all star he shot 27%, post break he shot 34% on a little over 2 attempts a game. Then we go look at summer league, and yeah, we're gonna bring SL stats up, and he's got 41% from 3 on 4 attempts a game. So I think he's showing improvement. He even started to look somewhat comfortable with an off the dribble shot.

We know he can play defense well. We've seen him do it, so we know it's there. You don't just fluke into playing good defense, that doesn't happen.

So you've got a 22 year old, turns 23 in July, who had the flexibility to at least spot play at 3 different positions, will ideally shoot at least 36% from 3, and play good defense...plus he still has the potential, the ability to do more. That guy is gonna get paid more than a few million, by anybody.

I think anybody who paid close attention to Dante's development after the first injury knows that he was playing a lot better and is worth believing in.

On the flip side, you have a bunch of people who watched casually or not at all, and then look up his career #s and decide he's a bad basketball player.

Lots of people going to be looking dumb by next year.

I'm in total agreement that the Jazz like him, and I agree with them. But it just doesn't make sense to offer him a contract that nobody else would. He's going to hit the market and get the market's worth.

With that being said, it helps the Jazz to sign him quickly as his cap hold is massive, but the numbers you threw out were close to his cap hold.

I'd be surprised anything over the MLE per year.
Someone is going to offer him the MLE and we will match it. However, DL has said many times that maintaining good relationships with players and agents is a priority for the Jazz organization, so why not offer $10 million/year up front? That extra million or so represents only 1% of the salary cap. Heck, DL gave Sacramento $1.5 million on the fly, just to keep the Hood/JJ/Crowder deal from falling apart.

Isn't trying to short change Hayward what soured him on the franchise?

I think anybody who paid close attention to Dante's development after the first injury knows that he was playing a lot better and is worth believing in.

On the flip side, you have a bunch of people who watched casually or not at all, and then look up his career #s and decide he's a bad basketball player.

Lots of people going to be looking dumb by next year.

Yup I think this issue may well show who understands players development and aptitude and who just remembers stats from a couple of years ago.

Someone is going to offer him the MLE and we will match it. However, DL has said many times that maintaining good relationships with players and agents is a priority for the Jazz organization, so why not offer $10 million/year up front? That extra million or so represents only 1% of the salary cap. Heck, DL gave Sacramento $1.5 million on the fly, just to keep the Hood/JJ/Crowder deal from falling apart.

The cap is the problem, not the money. It's apples to oranges comparing cash considerations to a contract that goes on the cap. You don't do it because you don't have to, we don't know what was on the table extension-wise pre or post injury and Dante could end up short-changing himself by not taking it. You can maintain a good relationship and conduct business strategically.

No I don't think he soured on the franchise, and I don't think that has any reason to why he left.

I'm in total agreement that the Jazz like him, and I agree with them. But it just doesn't make sense to offer him a contract that nobody else would.
The one way that it makes sense is if you are worried about making him happy. I have no idea what his feelings are towards the jazz currently but lets say he is pissed about his role and playing time so far, Maybe he would be mad if the jazz offered him some market value deal if his market value is super low (especially since part of the reason his market value is so low might be the jazz fault by play mack and neto more than him). Like what if his market value is 3 years 15 million? That would be great for the jazz to get him on that deal but if the jazz offered him that deal it might upset him.
But really, idgaf. Just playing devils advocate with an unlikely hypothetical.

I think (like most jazz fans probably) that he gets 7-10 million per offered to him and i think he takes it and stays with the jazz.

This is what i was kind of alluding to in my last post...... Ellipse just said it way better than me though.

The cap is the problem, not the money. It's apples to oranges comparing cash considerations to a contract that goes on the cap. You don't do it because you don't have to, we don't know what was on the table extension-wise pre or post injury and Dante could end up short-changing himself by not taking it. You can maintain a good relationship and conduct business strategically
Exactly, Exum's agent is negotiating from a position of weakness. I think Exum might be feeling a bit insecure about his future in the NBA and wants a long-term (4-year) contract. DL is in a great position to sign him to a very Jazz-friendly contract. And yes, $10 million/year is very friendly if DL thinks Exum will be a good complement to Donovan. (We were talking of re-signing Hood for $12-$15 million and he was a poor complement to DM -- glad DL avoided that headache.)

Everyone talking about signing Exum to a two-year, less than the MLE contract are already convinced he is a bust. So why are we re-signing him at all?

Donovan and Dante, the Double "D" Duo.

(Edited to fix that compliment/complement usage.)

Last edited:
Exactly, Exum's agent is negotiating from a position of weakness. I think Exum might be feeling a bit insecure about his future in the NBA and wants a long-term (4-year) contract. DL is in a great position to sign him to a very Jazz-friendly contract. And yes, $10 million/year is very friendly if DL thinks Exum will be a good compliment to Donovan. (We were talking of re-signing Hood for $12-$15 million and he was a poor compliment to DM -- glad DL avoided that headache.)

Everyone talking about signing Exum to a two-year, less than the MLE contract are already convinced he is a bust. So why are we re-signing him at all?

Donovan and Dante, the Double "D" Duo.

I am in full agreement on the 4-year deal. The per year number should be decided by the market though. Jazz are in a position to attack in FA next summer. The flexibility is crucial.

Well, that's what happens when the salary cap and league earnings go up.

Would you rather the owners pocket all that extra money?

I'm pretty ok with the players getting paid. It ain't my money. I'd rather it go to the players than the owners.
Why would you rather it go to the players, the owners take all the risk?

Sent from my SM-G930T using JazzFanz mobile app

I'd pay a little extra to get the declining contract and a 4th year team option. It is definitely worth it to get the contract drawn up to favor the Jazz salary cap figure.

But yeah, keep in mind that Lawson got bounced from the league and Payton just got shuffled for a 2nd round pick. Muiday could have been had for a bag of chips and no one was interested. To think that Exum is going to command more than 12 million per in that pg market is delusional.

Reactions: MVP
this year's free agent market is really bad. heard cap space is not going up so role players won't get lots of money like previous few years.

My guess is he will be back with jazz with a great deal.