What's new

What has David Locke so upset?

For starters, I haven't listened and will likely forget to.

That said, Locke isn't stupid. I think he's in a situation where he wants to be positive and can't really buy it, himself.

But touching on that last sentence if Mahoney's, how can you argue anything else? What have the Jazz accomplished in the way of legitimate progress?

That's what stuck out too me too, was that last sentence. It pretty much sums it all up.

Basically that guy is putting Corbin in his place. While Locke, employed by the jazz won't/can't blast Corbin or anyone else to the full extent. Locke kinda likes Corbin just a little to much though.

I listened to that entire 45 min convo between Locke and Mahony (while working...so take my recap with a grain of salt...but anyway) it sounded to me like Locke had his bases covered and his "stats" ready, and had Mahony in the end conceding that maybe he was a little harsh by calling the Jazz one of the "biggest disappointments in the NBA." and that Locke opened his eyes a bit as far as the Jazz are concerned.

BUT, Mahony stood strong in his thoughts that Corbin could have done a better job, and that the Jazz "successes" this year might have not been "because of" Corbin, but "in spite of" Corbin. Locke and Mahony both agreed Al isn't that good, probably won't be back, and gets lots more minutes than he probably should, but when Locke asked who do you play instead, Mahony said "well anyone and everyone..." or something like that, and Locke just got all butthurt and started saying something to the effect of "well, that's what everyone says, no one gives a player's name, but instead, just side steps the question and says the rest of the team will just pick it up magically."

They went back and forth, and both made good points. It was a good listen, I think if you all have time, you should check it out.

The answer to the who else should he play instead of al question is pretty damn easy. It should be a no brained that kanter and favors could eat up Al's minutes pretty quickly, and we wouldn't have any drop in production.

How? I could only listen to about the 26:00 mark, at which point Mahony more than conceded that Corbin didn't have alternative plays and the young guys weren't ready, but he wanted Corbin to do other stuff regardless of predictably bad results.

Sure glad those young guys weren't ready to throw down any 20/20 games this year....

Basically that guy is putting Corbin in his place. While Locke, employed by the jazz won't/can't blast Corbin or anyone else to the full extent. Locke kinda likes Corbin just a little to much though.

Yeah, and what is it that Locke is alluding to re: Ty that he'd love to share but just can't. I mean, what could it be? Personal stuff that highlights his rapport with the players? Tactical stuff that he doesn't want opponents to know?

I think Locke is 100% wrong but he did a good job backing up his points with arbitrary stats which Maloney (who obviously wasn't prepared to be thoroughly attack) often didn't have solid responses for.

The 2 points that I wish would have been the primary focus are
1) Ty's in-game coaching featuring his inability to adjust and his ability to go away from what is working in order to stick with his vet-heavy starter rotations.
and
2) Not only have the Jazz made no significant progress in the past 2 years of their Post-Deron rebuild - it's not because they don't have the resources. If the Jazz were to play Favors/Kanter/Burks in significant roles, DeMarre in a consistent role, and Hayward north of the 30mpg mark - they may not be substantially better than the team w/Foye/Marvin/Millsap/Jefferson playing lead roles but they would not have been significantly worse. What's more - real progress and evaluation could have been achieved as opposed to the silly foolsgold prize of being an 8-seed for the second consecutive year. I fully support playing your best players - but in many ways the Core-4 represent our best players and I would argue increasing their roles would have made the Jazz a better team.

This interview was a great reminder why I can't stand Locke, but I did find one thing humorous.

The irony of ironies is that by blindly defending Corbin, Locke is essentially throwing Kevin O'Connor (along with the veteran players) under the bus in his attempt to point out that the Jazz are below-average at virtually every position. He's also exposing his own "analysis" in which he has said how great and improved Al Jefferson has been, how acquiring Mo and Marvin would make the Jazz a better team, and I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of because I don't (aka can't stand to) listen to him.

I'm disappointed Maloney wasn't more prepared to get into particulars but in the big-picture he's spot-on.

From what I listened to (only 1/4 of the interview) , Locke's arguments were sophistic crap, and Maloney did a good job answering them.

The irony of ironies is that by blindly defending Corbin, Locke is essentially throwing Kevin O'Connor (along with the veteran players) under the bus in his attempt to point out that the Jazz are below-average at virtually every position. He's also exposing his own "analysis" in which he has said how great and improved Al Jefferson has been, how acquiring Mo and Marvin would make the Jazz a better team, and I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of because I don't (aka can't stand to) listen to him.

My point exactly. I'm sure you saw my tweet.

I was a little harsh earlier. Locke knows just how to troll me.

He's right that Ty probably did get as many wins out of this team as could have reasonably been expected.

However, his kind of basketball is not much to look at, especially after what we were used to, and he could have played the more promising players more.

That's what many fans resent.

I get that jazz management thinks we are all stupid. I get that because of 20+ years of loyalty from the fans they don't think that they owe the fans an explanation. I mean, heck, they are the only show in town. And the blindly follow religious culture doesn't help.

But lets think about this critically...

The jazz have either:

A. A talented team that is underachieving because the coach cannot or will not develop his young players.
Or
B. a talent depleted team that is overachieving because their management has failed to collect enough talent to put a good product out there. I mean, hell, in 07 you looked like an up and coming young team. What happened?eiher way, someone needs to be held accountable.

You can't have it both ways. You can't excuse the last few years by saying they don't have talent without blasting the management. And you cannot say that the talent is there but excuse the coach.

Either koc or Corbin needs to go.

It's a conspiracy guyz. The organization is out to get us and Locke is their front man

Season has taken a toll.

Thriller and vslice hit the nail on the head.

Either:

1 - Corbin sucks, he can't develop talent, set lineups, call good plays

OR

2 - KOC sucks and he doesn't bring in talent, can't draft worth a lick, and has passed up on multiple future All-Stars for draft busts.

Either Corbin or KOC need to be gone.

And any idiot can see Hayward shows promise, Favors can be elite defensively, Kanter has a shot to be a very, very special player, Burks has talent and is a good piece to the puzzle, etc. KOC isn't the problem.

Thriller and vslice hit the nail on the head.

Either:

1 - Corbin sucks, he can't develop talent, set lineups, call good plays

OR

2 - KOC sucks and he doesn't bring in talent, can't draft worth a lick, and has passed up on multiple future All-Stars for draft busts.

Either Corbin or KOC need to be gone.

And any idiot can see Hayward shows promise, Favors can be elite defensively, Kanter has a shot to be a very, very special player, Burks has talent and is a good piece to the puzzle, etc. KOC isn't the problem.

I think we all know that now.