What's new

What has David Locke so upset?

Ben10

Did you guys hear the debate between Locke and SI's Rob Mahony?

It all stems from this:

If anyone knows what it is exactly that coach Tyrone Corbin is doing in terms of managing his rotation, I’d love to know. This was supposed to be a year of gradual change, with the Jazz better incorporating the emerging Derrick Favors, 21, giving a chance to second-year players Alec Burks and Enes Kanter and seeing the next step in the development of third-year swingman Gordon Hayward. Instead, Utah worked its offense through Al Jefferson to a fault and compounded its problems through Corbin’s baffling lineup constructions.

His choices have been a bit better of late, but I fail to trace the logic in Corbin’s strategic decisions — namely his reluctance to balance out the offense away from Jefferson’s post-centric work and the seeming lack of defensive direction that makes matters worse for a team that needs more schematic help than it gets. The Jazz’s young players have produced some fantastic showings when compensating for teammates’ injuries, but otherwise this team has accomplished so amazingly little in the way of legitimate progress.

This was part of Mahoney's article here : https://nba.si.com/2013/04/10/nba-disappointments-los-angeles-lakers-utah-jazz/?sct=obinsite

Locke goes on to talk about it on his tipoff then talks to Mahoney in a pod cast. You can hear the pot cast here : https://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/

While Locke makes some good points you can tell that Mahoney has a pretty good feel for what has been really upsetting us as fans here on Jazzfanz and as a fan base.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

2344517066_polls_i_like_turtles_4958_207342_answer_3_xlarge_xlarge.jpeg

For starters, I haven't listened and will likely forget to.

That said, Locke isn't stupid. I think he's in a situation where he wants to be positive and can't really buy it, himself.

But touching on that last sentence if Mahoney's, how can you argue anything else? What have the Jazz accomplished in the way of legitimate progress?

Oops, misread the OP. Locke and all the rest are just shills for the Jazz. At least the national media has some common sense. The Utah media has ZERO credibility.

Last edited:
I listened to that entire 45 min convo between Locke and Mahony (while working...so take my recap with a grain of salt...but anyway) it sounded to me like Locke had his bases covered and his "stats" ready, and had Mahony in the end conceding that maybe he was a little harsh by calling the Jazz one of the "biggest disappointments in the NBA." and that Locke opened his eyes a bit as far as the Jazz are concerned.

BUT, Mahony stood strong in his thoughts that Corbin could have done a better job, and that the Jazz "successes" this year might have not been "because of" Corbin, but "in spite of" Corbin. Locke and Mahony both agreed Al isn't that good, probably won't be back, and gets lots more minutes than he probably should, but when Locke asked who do you play instead, Mahony said "well anyone and everyone..." or something like that, and Locke just got all butthurt and started saying something to the effect of "well, that's what everyone says, no one gives a player's name, but instead, just side steps the question and says the rest of the team will just pick it up magically."

They went back and forth, and both made good points. It was a good listen, I think if you all have time, you should check it out.

I usually don't mind Locke, but there were moments of this interview where I wanted to stick my pen in my ears when he spoke. The other guy had a couple of mis-informed thoughts, but he had a lot of good things to say.

I usually don't mind Locke, but there were moments of this interview where I wanted to stick my pen in my ears when he spoke. The other guy had a couple of mis-informed thoughts, but he had a lot of good things to say.

I am starting to think i am the only David Locke Apologist on JAzzfanz

I'm listening now....

first impression: Locke can make a complex argument about the jazz, and he can pull a lot of evidence into that argument. But, he's too close to "the natives"; in other words, he has lost a certain critical vantage point.

I listened to the entire thing and this is my biggest take away, Locke thinks the team sucks and they are over-achieving. He kept saying that the Jazz have players that are no good compared to other teams.

Remember the comment he made about fans booing the team and how "our actions have consequences?", if I'm the C4 then I want out of Utah because the radio voice of the team would rather protect the coach (who is doing a terrible job) and throw the players under the bus.

Good work Locke and remember, our actions have consequences.

Locke Logic: On any given night our starting lineup is so much worse than the other teams that Ty must be an excellent coach to be winning games with inferior players.

Oh, wait, Ty sets the starting lineups.

In case anyone is having a hard time wrapping their mind around Locke's logic, all you have to do is accept one truth:

Corbin is omniscient.

It all makes sense, see? Our most effective players play the most minutes. We know they are the most effective because Ty is omniscient and he plays them the most minutes.

Unfortunately, stats show that these players--our most effective according to Ty (who is omniscient)--are of lower quality than pretty much any other team.

Therefore, Ty must be an amazing coach to pull off an above average record with a below average roster.

If you can't listen to all of it, then at least go to the 27:00 mark and play the next couple of minutes.

Locke epically bails.

EDIT: by 30:35 Locke has been exposed. Pretty funny.

Pretty interesting hearing a member of the national media criticize Corbin for not intentionally losing games with an eye toward the future. Mahony turned a blind eye to the locker room mutiny that would have followed if Corbin had made those transition switches. That's a huge hole in his argument, otherwise it was a very feel good piece. Very informative input from Locke's POV too. He essentially puts the Corbin is idoit crowd into the grave.

If you can't listen to all of it, then at least go to the 27:00 mark and play the next couple of minutes.

Locke epically bails.

EDIT: by 30:35 Locke has been exposed. Pretty funny.

How? I could only listen to about the 26:00 mark, at which point Mahony more than conceded that Corbin didn't have alternative plays and the young guys weren't ready, but he wanted Corbin to do other stuff regardless of predictably bad results.

I found this whole micro-saga pretty fascinating. We got a national writer and our guy (sort of) bumping heads on coaching and how it relates to individuals, line-ups, systems and broader philosophical and strategic stuff… but it also makes me think about the way Locke presents as a cog within the Jazz’s media presence/product, AND as an advocate/poster boy of social media/new media technologies.

It also left me wondering just how crazy the guy is because he’s definitely a little bit loopy and might need to step away from living, eating and breathing Jazz basketball on a daily basis because his emotional response to this piece was so stupidly disproportionate to the content.