What's new

What is Rudy's actual worth?

Assuming we reach an impasse with his agent, at what price do you simply agree to trade him and move on?

If Rudy has the Jazz over a barrel, we might be looking at Khris Middleton money -- e.g., 5 years / $175M.

That said, the fact that the Jazz already have Donovan signed and have Favors back in the fold, helps the Jazz's leverage somewhat.

Yeah i know that but what is the dollar value?
His price has to be compared to other big men. You don't pay a RB the same as a QB just because the RB is considered a top 25 player. Its bad business. And no, Rudy is not a top 15 NBA player.

$30-35 million a year is fair. That's around what AD is getting the next two years and AD is better.

The rub is what Rudy gets paid when he is 30+ which is year 3 of the extension. Limited defensive big men over 30 years old are not who you build your franchise or budget around. You can find serviceable options for cheap (for example Favors and Harrell this year). If we pay Rudy $35+ in year 3 or 4 of his deal, it will be regretted. And we better not extend for 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

His price has to be compared to other big men. You don't pay a RB the same as a QB just because the RB is considered a top 25 player. Its bad business. And no, Rudy is not a top 15 NBA player.

$30-35 million a year is fair. That's around what AD is getting the next two years and AD is better.

The rub is what Rudy gets paid when he is 30+ which is year 3 of the extension. Limited defensive big men over 30 years old are not who you build your franchise or budget around. You can find serviceable options for cheap (for example Favors and Harrell this year). If we pay Rudy $35+ in year 3 or 4 of his deal, it will be regretted. And we better not extend for 5 years.

I was just thinking about this exact same thing with RBs in the NFL. You don't compete by paying RBs. It's ****** but you can get 2 RBs for peanuts and get the same production as a $10+ million a year star RB.

The same goes with traditional big men in the modern NBA. Sure a player like Rudy is better on your team than off of it but when he's your highest earning player you're not going to be winning anything.

Funnily enough i was thinking if you pay him Conley's money then its a non issue but DM is about to get a bump and the maths goes beyond me. Id think 4 at 100 or five at 125 would be perfect, plus incentives.

I was just thinking about this exact same thing with RBs in the NFL. You don't compete by paying RBs. It's ****** but you can get 2 RBs for peanuts and get the same production as a $10+ million a year star RB.

The same goes with traditional big men in the modern NBA. Sure a player like Rudy is better on your team than off of it but when he's your highest earning player you're not going to be winning anything.
Great post.

Here is the irony - Rudy keeps saying he wants to bring a title to Utah. If that's true, he needs to sign a big contract but not a franchise crippling one. If he signed for $30 a year, he's getting well paid, he's not insulted, and we can still build a title contending roster.

His contract will tell us so much. If he demands top dollar, he will eventually leave on a bad note. If he gives a deal, he could go down on the Mount Rushmore of Jazz greats.

Funnily enough i was thinking if you pay him Conley's money then its a non issue but DM is about to get a bump and the maths goes beyond me. Id think 4 at 100 or five at 125 would be perfect, plus incentives.

Meh, offering him his current money (25M per year) after giving Don his deal (5/163-195 depending on qualifiers) feels pretty insulting ngl.

Love Rudy and I'm closer to your side of the argument but Rudy is not a better player than AD.
I'd trade Rudy for AD straight up in a heartbeat. And we'd win the next championship.

If Daniels signed for the maximum he could sign for (which is my understanding), then there is a significant chance he signed for below-market value, and setting Gobert's value by comparison is unfair to both Daniels and Gobert.

Meh, offering him his current money (25M per year) after giving Don his deal (5/163-195 depending on qualifiers) feels pretty insulting ngl.

I wish somebody would insult me to the tune of 25 mil per year.

I wish somebody would insult me to the tune of 25 mil per year.

I'll do it for free ya bitch.

Seriously though, it's easy to say that, but when Rudy could likely find someone else to pay him more next season (****ing Hayward just got 30M/year) the incentive just isn't very high for him to sign here if we're not giving an offer competitive with the max other teams can offer (approx 35M/year).

AD’s contract does help the Jazz in negotiations. My original prediction was 5/160. If a deal gets done, I think it will be in that ballpark.

Maybe this is what is holding up Rudy's extension. Maybe he expects to be paid more than Don.

I simply don't see it like that. Much like the NFL RB comparison, you have to pay market value. I simply don't see a large number of teams looking to pay Rudy $30+ next summer. I'm sure somebody would, but I bet it's a very small list.

Donovan, on the other hand, would receive a max contract from every team in the league. The NBA is a business and Don is good for business. For example - on a list that includes Kobe and MJ, Donovan has the 31st best selling NBA jersey right now. https://www.fanatics.com/best-selling-jerseys/x-169279+z-93820000-2061647579 Don had an Adidas shoe by the end of his 2nd season in the league.

He's a top 20 player in the league and has the work ethic and drive to get even better. It might seem like a lot since he's not the offensive superstar that other players are (AD, KAT, Embiid) but he saves as many if not more points on defense than others add to offense. He is a max contract player, not a Supermax guy, but a max contract player. I'd go either 4yr/150 or 5yr/180 guaranteed and front load it as much as possible. Probably a hard pill to swallow, but he's going to get a max contract regardless if it's with Utah. I'd prefer him on our side and hopefully he would give a loyalty discount, or take a smaller contract if incentives are added.

I'd not say Rudy is better than AD. AD is one of the only 2, maybe 3 bigs that i'd consider want in place of Rudy based on match or surpass his winning impact on this league (of whom 2 are IP and the maybe 3rd is a defensive liability on the worse position to be that).

That being said, give us Lebron, Rich Paul and LA and then we can think on AD giving us 4 guaranteed years at this price. It's just unreal ignore that. It would take the regular max to keep Hayward here, he actually left for a lesser payday from Celtics - tho his perspective of advertising were quite better.

He doesn’t make a team better as the #1. He needs an LBJ to carry him.
He's dominated in the playoffs. He averages 30 ppg on 55% shooting and is still young. NOP didn't have enough support for him to win. His first playoffs the next best players were Tyreke and Eric Gordon, those are nice players but that team was not good, without him they are competing for a top pick in the draft. You need 2 or 3 stars to win. At 21 he lost to the champs but played extremely well. The next playoffs he carried his team to upset Portland and lost to the champions GS. His 3rd playoffs he won the championship when he got 1 other player to help carry the load. I like Gobert, but Davis is better.

Gobert has had better teams around him in the playoffs until this year.